PDA

View Full Version : Just Two Sisters, Part 6

BrerGnat
06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Thursday, May 26 (part 2)

Cast:
Me
My sister, C

The CR is one of "my" resorts. I've stayed there several times and I have always loved it. Perhaps because during my very first trip to WDW when I was only 9 months old, that is where we stayed. Growing up, I always saw pictures of that stay, and it's always been a special resort to me. I wanted to visit. I got off the monorail and headed down to the concourse. I headed to BVG and almost bought a polo shirt for DH until I saw at the register that it had a sort of obnoxious screen printed design on the back. Ew. DH is quite conservative, and he would NOT wear that. I texted him a picture just to be sure, and I was right. I found another polo, picked it up, turned it around, and this one had an embroidered design on the back. Seriously? What the heck? Who wears polo shirts with designs on the back? DH likes polos, but hates those plain Mickey ones (the golf ones). These were the special 40th anniversary polos, with the old WDW logo on it, and they were really cool, except for the stupid designs on the backs. Too bad.

I left BVG and headed to the marketplace. I wanted to see if they had any cough drops for C. She had been having a sore throat. I found some Vicks in the giftshop and got them for her (only $1.50, what a deal).

Back at the MK bus stop, I waited what felt like a long time for a bus back to Boardwalk. I think it was somewhere around 20 minutes or so, coupled with the 10 min walk from CR, and I was just ready to get back to the Boardwalk so I could sit down and rest in the a/c for awhile. Did I mention it was hot today???

When I arrived back at my room, C was awake but lying down watching t.v. She said she had realized her headache was the result of not drinking any caffeine for the past two days, and had grabbed a diet coke in the lounge upon her return, which made her headache magically disappear. She had also picked up a salad at the Boardwalk Bakery for lunch, which she said had been pretty good. However, she had not enjoyed waiting approximately 10 minutes to purchase said salad, as the people in front of her in line could not make up their minds and asked about a zillion questions about everything in the place.

People, if you don't know what you want, get out of the way so people who DO know what they want, can get what they want. PSA over.

It was about 4:45 at this point. We had a 5:45 ADR at Via Napoli, which I was going to go to with or without C. I was determined. I wanted pizza. I wanted GOOD pizza. And nothing was going to make me miss this ADR! :D C was up for it, so I quickly showered and changed which felt great, since I had been sweating profusely all day up to this point. We headed out a bit later than I wanted, leaving the resort right around 5:30. We had 15 min to walk to Italy, but I didn't feel like rushing. I figured if we were a tad late, it would probably be fine at this early hour. We walked without stopping, and made it to Italy only 5 min late. We were given a buzzer and waited a few minutes before we were seated. The hostess led us to this separate room off the main dining room, which felt like a garage to me. It was a bit warmer than the main dining room, but not unomfortably so. We were seated by a window and our drink order was taken within seconds by Marco, a VERY friendly CM from Venice. We decided to order two individual sized pizzas to share. We settled on the Margherita and a Pepperoni. In addition, we ordered the "family style" salad, which cost $5 per person (minimum of 2 people, and only served with a pizza order). Our salad was brought out almost immediately and we dug in. This was a great salad to accompany pizza. It had mixed greens (REAL salad, as I say...none of that iceberg nonsense), roasted peppers, olives, pepperoncini, onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms, with a light vinaigrette. It was very light and tasty! I loved it and we ate it all. It is "all you can eat" and we were asked if we wanted more, but declined.

Our pizzas arrived about 3 minutes after we finished our salad. They looked so pretty, C took a picture! They smelled heavenly and we dug right in. Oh. My. Gosh. This was such good pizza. Now, for full disclosure, I grew up in New Jersey. I have eaten at many of NYC's "original" pizzerias. I frequent Naples at Downtown Disneyland, which is supposed to be "authentic" Neapolitan style pizza (and is really good...my favorite pizza in Southern California, and owned by the Patina group, which owns Tutto Italia and Via Napoli). Via Napoli BLEW them all away. It was, in my opinion, what pizza is supposed to taste like. The crust was crispy on the outside, but perfectly chewy on the inside (and easily FOLDABLE without breaking, which is key). It had the perfect amount of char-flavor. The cheese was just rich and creamy and perfectly salty. The tomato sauce was fresh and sweet. Oh my. The Pepperoni pizza was also excellent. GREAT small sized pepperoni with a rich, salty flavor and just the right amount of spice. We ate our pizza mostly in silence, save for the "mmmmm", and "this is SO good" mutterings. We took those pizzas down in less than 10 minutes. C and I can eat some SERIOUS amounts of pizza, but towards the end, we hit the wall. We each left a piece of crust on our plate, that we REALLY wanted to be able to eat, but just couldn't. We settled the bill, which was around $70 with tip. And, worth every penny!

We rolled out of Italy stuffed and satisfied, and still talking about the pizza. We shopped around a bit in Italy and then Germany. C was looking for some shot glasses, along with a beer mug, but nothing really caught her eye. We headed towards FW, with the plan to exit the park and head to MK. On the way out, we saw that Spaceship Earth was a walk on, so we rode that. C had not yet ridden this trip. We enjoyed our ride as always, and our video at the end was rather amusing. Upon exiting our time machine, we tried to send a postcard to T and DH and the boys back home, but they never ended up getting them. :confused: We left Epcot and boarded the monorail to MK, arriving there in short order.

We headed to Tomorrowland immediately. Space Mountain was posting a 90 min line (guess the crowds haven't died down at all), so instead, we rode the Carousel of Progress. We joked in the last scene about the inconsistency of it. Those ski boots and peg leg pants have GOT to go, and ovens still aren't talking to us in 2011. Time to reimagine the "future", we think.

After CoP, we hit up the TTA/Peoplemover and had a very enjoyable night time ride. I love seeing all the lights around Tomorrowland, and the castle at night. So magical. We noticed that the speedway had NO line, so we planned to ride that next (just because we could). We did exactly that. And, I'm going to say here, I like this ride. I always have, and I don't really understand all the criticism of it. I loved it when I was a kid not old enough to have a license, I enjoy riding it with my sons, one of whom L-O-V-E-S it, and I enjoyed riding alone, and being able to actually steer it myself. ;) This ride is, if nothing else, fun. I hope it doesn't go away anytime soon. Although, I would not be opposed to a re-theme. Pixar Cars? Yes, please! :thumbsup:

After the speedway, where I took many pictures of the "super cool racecars" (as my DS says), we headed towards the Mad Tea Party. The wait was a quick 5 minutes, and in no time, we were "that" teacup that is spinning so fast, all you can see is blur. Awesome! We love spinning this fast, but when we go with our friend, she gets a little :sick: if we spin TOO fast. All bets off, though, she's not here and we are flyin'!

Once we regained our balance, it was nearing 9:45, which would be the time of the Magic, Memories, and You show on the castle, which I was itching to see. I have tried to see this show at Disneyland a few times, and every time, it's been canceled due to "technical difficulties." So, now is my chance! We found a spot right near the hub that was rather uncrowded, and made plans to hightail it out of there right after the show, as neither of us wanted to see Wishes (just seen it one too many times, and we don't particularly love it). Once the show started, we "ooohhh-ed" and "aahhhhh-ed" along with the crowd. While I couldn't really make out the pictures of the people, the visual effects on the castle were stunning and I was highly impressed. We both could have done with a different theme song, but what can you do? C commented that "Disney really likes ballads, don't they?" They do, indeed. Cheesy, party of one! :ack:

After the show, we were funneled towards the backstage exit route, which was great, since Main Street looked like a sea of people. We had been back here before, during the KTTK tour we took a few years ago. Still, though, it feels weird to know that there is a parking lot behind all those Main St. facades.

We made our way to the bus, and boarded immediately. Luckily, there were seats still available, and our bus pulled away not even 100% full. We saw some fireworks from the bus, and that was good enough for us! We were back at the BWI shortly, and hit up the lounge for some yummy desserts. Cheesecake, magic bars (SO GOOD), and cupcakes were on the menu tonight, along with cookies! Just what we needed. We had been so full after pizza that we never had dessert, but we dug in now! :cloud9:

We hit that sack around 11:30, sad that tomorrow would be our last full day. :( We didn't make any firm plans, and just figured we'd see where we felt like going the next day.

SBETigg
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, C made the full day! And such an awesome day. I'm glad that you loved Via Napoli. It's one of our new favorites. I had no idea that you were from NJ!

Your oven doesn't talk to you? ;)

wildernesslady
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Tell your sister I was behind that family in the boardwalk bakery on Wednesday. It was very frustating. I think they need to find a way to re-work the line. Otherwise, I love the Boardwalk. Via Napoli is the best!!!

emerzmom
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
You made me hungry for pizza!!!!!!!!

faline
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Lovely day! You got to share it with yor sister! You got a great pizza dinner! And you got more Magic Kingdom time! :thumbsup::mickey::thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Ok, Natalie, now I'm kicking myself again. The same day I bypasses the caramel place I also canceled an ADR at Via Napoli! What a mess I am.

This report really made me long for WDW! I felt like I was there with you. Loved that your sister was able to enjoy a whole day.

I have to ask, because I just can't figure it out. What the heck does BVG stand for? I know your shopping at CR when you say this. I guess I don't know the name of the shopping section at CR.

Oh we love to make the teacups spin too. We are the family spinning like crazy, all arms up in the air yelling in delight! Yep that's us!

I have yet to ride the speedway at MK. I'm going to have to add that to my list of "must dos" for our next trip.

Another great day!

mouseketeer mom
06-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Natalie, Via Napoli is incredible thats for sure, and I am laughing at your description of it , because I can feel the love for the pizza!! haha!! I'm so glad your sis in the mix for today with you as well!
My son always loves the speedway at MK, but I have to say, the DL version blows the MK version away. We love the DL version, the mouse crossing signs, the off road part, the little details, and the queue too..so much better than MK, we think.
Thanks for reporting!

BrerGnat
06-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Denise: BVG is the name of the big gift shop at Contemporary. Used to be called Bay View Gifts. They shortened it to the letters a few years ago.

Lisa: Everything is better in Disneyland! Yeah...I said it. :D

yjgirl32
06-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Glad to hear C is feeling better. I too love the cars- that is the one ride I remember as a kid too. It's one of the few pictures we have due to my being legally blind.

princessgirls
06-04-2011, 04:23 PM
You ladies had a very enjoyable evening!! Sister bonding!!!

Nat...I didn't know you were a "Jersey Girl". Yes, we do do pizza well.

I can't wait to check out Villa Napoli on our upcoming trip.

Julie:mickey:

pdrlkr
06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
We have "special" feelings for CR too - and BVG used to be one of my favorites in all of Disney until recently. We still make it a point to stop in each trip, but our purchases have gotten smaller over the years as their styles have changed.

So many have now put their stamp of approval on Via Napoli - thanks for another rave review, Nat. I can't WAIT to try this place in July! However, I don't think I would be hopping on the teacups after said dinner. :D

For the record, I enjoy the Speedway, too. I'm so glad that DSis was able to join you & that you guys had a great evening. I can't believe we're already approaching your last day, though. I sure hope it's a great one! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I also love the Speedway and what it represents for those who aren't really licenced. Your sister is very brave to do the yucky Teacups when she's under the weather! She has my respect. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
So many have now put their stamp of approval on Via Napoli - thanks for another rave review, Nat. I can't WAIT to try this place in July!

Can I come with you? Please??? I want more of that pizza! :D In fact, the very day after we ate there, we were pondering what to do for dinner, and C was like, "are there any openings at Via Napoli for tonight?" Sadly, there weren't. :(

darthmacho
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I like that you visited CSR as your "home" resort. I feel the same way about Wilderness Lodge, and make it a point to visit it every trip. I plan on visiting it again next year if we do go to WDW.

I was relieved to read that your sister was well enough to go out with you again. I can only imagine how you must have felt! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed your review of Via Napoli, as that's a place we have on our agenda for next trip as well. I'm glad to hear they have roasted red peppers as a topping choice. There is nothing better on a pizza than roasted red peppers. :cloud9:

moe513
06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
We stay at BWI all the time and cant understand why the bakery line is so small.

Also, how did you exit magic kingdom so fast.

Can't wait for my next WDW trip.:cloud9:

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I enjoyed your review of Via Napoli, as that's a place we have on our agenda for next trip as well. I'm glad to hear they have roasted red peppers as a topping choice. There is nothing better on a pizza than roasted red peppers. :cloud9:

Just to clarify, the roasted red peppers were in the salad. Not sure if it's a pizza topping choice, although they did drastically change the way you can order/customize pizza from the options they had on opening day. They still have their specialty pizzas, but in addition, you can order a "margherita" and then add as many toppings as you like, at $2 per topping. There is a pretty large selection of toppings.

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Also, how did you exit magic kingdom so fast.

I am fast when I'm alone. Plus, I cut through the Emporium. :D

Ian
06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Seriously? What the heck? Who wears polo shirts with designs on the back?Oh man, I know ... I was annoyed by this as well. The one nice blue one they had with the 40th logo on it was great looking ... until you turned it around and :ack:.

Nat, you write great trip reports!

RedSoxFan
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Great ending to your day. Glad to hear that C is feeling better. Via Napoli is wonderful --- can't wait to eat there again in November!! One of our favorites.:mickey:

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh man, I know ... I was annoyed by this as well. The one nice blue one they had with the 40th logo on it was great looking ... until you turned it around and :ack:.

Nat, you write great trip reports!

That's the one my husband liked! I was seriously disappointed about that. Ended up only bringing him back a pin. So pathetic!

Ian
06-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Fortunately with my job I'm more interested in t-shirts these days than I am polos. I actually picked up three or four new t-shirts while I was down, not counting the one I got from Helly Hansen that I had to give to DW since it fit me like a sausage casing.

I guess Norwegians are skinnier than the average American. :blush:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Really wish we could eat at Via Napoli next trip but my mom and son want Lecellier more......I love it too but all these descriptions of their pizza really makes me want it:blush: