PDA

View Full Version : Just Two Sisters, Part 4

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Wednesday, May 25

Cast:
Just Me today.

So, when I left off, I was on my way to Epcot via the monorail from the TTC. I had just received a text from C and she was apparently NOT having a good day. :ill:

As I rode the monorail over to Epcot, a guy across from me pointed out my Matterhorn tee to his girlfriend. We started chatting and discovered that we graduated from the same college in Northern California! They lived up by Sacramento and hadn't gone to Disneyland in YEARS, and this was this guy's first trip to WDW (his gf's family were "Disney World people"). The girlfriend had NEVER been to Disneyland! She thought it would be "too small and disappointing after WDW." I corrected her, and told her she was really missing out, especially being so close! I ordered them to visit in 2012, after DCA was completed. They actually had no idea about all the stuff being done over there, and seemed excited about it all. They also started raving about the Magic, Memories, and You castle show at MK. I hadn't seen it yet and from their description, I NEEDED to, a.s.a.p. One of the monorail CMs was hitching a ride to Epcot, and he told us that Disneyland actually sends ALL their Photopass pictures over to Orlando every night to have them optimized for the projection show over there (they do it on the It's a Small World facade at DL), and then WDW has to send them back (via computer, obviously) in time for the show at Disneyland. That explains why the DL version regularly gets cancelled due to "technical difficulties." I've still never seen it at DL...

When I arrived at Epcot, there was no line for Spaceship Earth, so I decided to take a ride through. I snapped lots of pics using the low light feature on the camera for my son who is a Spaceship Earth junkie. I got a picture of EVERY scene, as well as my "future" video at the end, so he can relieve the journey at home! After SSE, I walked through Future World and headed towards the IG, stopping along the way to take some pictures in the U.K. pavilion. For any of you who are fans of the t.v. show Arrested Development, DH and I joke about "Wee Britain" and "Watch out for the Poppins!" whenever we're at the UK pavilion. I took a picture of the side street and texted DH "watch out for the poppins". Funnily enough, just as I rounded the corner, I practically bumped into Mary Poppins. She was kneeling down doing a meet and greet with a little girl and I didn't see her. Now THAT was funny!

Anyway, I walked back to the Boardwalk and boy, was it HOT! I was sweating by the time I got back to our room. C was awake, but barely. She had managed to eat some cereal earlier, and had gone and sat in the steam room in the gym to try to clear out her sinuses/chest congestion. It had made her feel better briefly, but she had a fever so sitting in the steam room had not helped with that. I dug through my medicine bag and got out some tylenol and sudafed for her to take over the next couple days, along with the cough/congestion syrup we had purchased at Walgreens the night before. I ordered her to take ALL the meds every 4 hours. The mom in me was in full force. :) She took the meds, and said she was going back to sleep.

I decided to hit the lounge for a cold drink and went for a diet coke. I needed some waking up. Afterwards, I pondered what to do, and settled on going to the pool. I wanted to check out the feature pool and ride that crazy clown slide. I got changed as quickly and quietly as I could, and gathered up our dirty towels. I also emptied all our trash into a large bag and set it outside the door after I spoke to the mousekeeper in the hallway. I told him not to service our room today due to a sick occupant, and he gladly took our trash and dirty towels, and handed me a stack of clean towels along with a new box of tissues. I put those in the room and headed out to the pool.

I found a nice lounge chair in the shade and marveled at how empty the pool was. It was 3:30 on a hot afternoon. I expected more people to be there. It was nice, though. I hung out in the pool and it was quite refreshing. Just the right temperature. :thumbsup: There were lifeguards doing pool games (Bingo) and the kids were enjoying that. Later, they started a pool deck dance party, and there was QUITE a large group of kids participating. That was fun to see. I did ride the slide once. It was fun, but I was surprised that there was no lifeguard up top! There was just a red/green traffic light sort of thing. Luckily, the kids were behaving up there and following the rules. Sort of made me wonder, though. I wouldn't have been able to send my kids up there unattended. They need more guidance than just a red/green light sometimes, and there was no stopping older kids from cutting in front of little ones, which I did witness while waiting.

After the slide, I hung out in the (tiny) hot tub for awhile, then went back to my chair. I was tired, and honestly, would have fallen asleep in that chair if I had stayed, which I didn't want to do. I headed back up to my room to shower, and realized while in the shower, that I wouldn't be able to dry my hair since C was still asleep. Oops...didn't occur to me eariler. Luckily, she was awake when I got out of the bathroom, so I was able to get my hair dried quickly.

C was starting to feel hungry, but was not up for leaving the room. I offered to get her something, and she briefly considered a sandwich from the bakery downstairs, but then decided she'd just order room service, since they had chicken noodle soup on the menu. She was perusing the menu when I got a text message from her boyfriend, T. T mentioned that he felt SO bad for C that she was so sick, and he wanted to do something nice for her. He mentioned maybe sending flowers, or paying for an on demand movie, or room service. I mentioned that there were flowers all over the hotel, and we'd be leaving in a few days anyway, so flowers would end up being thrown away. I told him that Disney doesn't offer 0n Demand movies in room because they are lame that way, but that C had been thinking of ordering room service, so that might work. He asked me for the phone number of the resort and our room number and said he'd call and try to order her some food and pay for it on his end. I managed to casually ask C what she was going to order, and relayed that to T. A few minutes later, he texted me that it worked and her food would be delivered within the next 30 min! Yay! A couple minutes after that, C got a text from T, and then said "you told T to order me room service!" I said, "I did NOT! That was his idea, I just gave him the information he needed to get it done. He's a sweetheart. Hang onto him!"

I decided to hit the lounge to see what the food offerings were this evening since I was getting hungry too. Tonight, they had pot stickers, and feta/spinach spanikopita, along with some REALLY excellent olive/artichoke salad, pita and cheese, and lots of fresh veggies. I had a nice little meal in there. LOVE staying Club Level and having access to veggies every day. :eat: I wanted to have a glass of wine, but I was also still recovering from my sickness from a few weeks prior, and had some sinus issues going on that required me to take sudafed, so I couldn't have a drink tonight. Luckily, my sinus issues cleared up instead of turning into a sinus infection, which is par for me.

After my snack, I went back to the room where C was thoroughly enjoying her dinner. She had eaten all the soup, which she said had been VERY good, and was halfway through "the best club sandwich I've ever had" when I arrived. She said the food had arrived in about 10 min, and everything was hot and fresh. She told me that T had also ordered her some chocolate cake, which is her favorite, and some cheesecake for me! Awesome! What a great guy! He had also thought to get a glass of milk, to go with the cake. I opened the fridge to claim my cheesecake, and MAN, it was GOOD! It was really creamy, and had REAL whipped cream on top. Heavenly. :cloud9: I was stuffed after that, so I decided I would head into Epcot to hang around WS and see Illuminations.

I headed back out around 7:30 or so. I just sort of wandered WS, shopping here and there. Around 8:30, I stopped in the Lotus Blossom for some eggrolls, which were really good! After that, I dug into my bag and took out the caramel square (plain) that I had in there. I enjoyed that sweet treat and started heading back towards the IG, to find a spot to watch Illuminations. I ended up watching from somewhere near Japan. WS was not crowded this night, and I was able to get a pretty good spot about 3 min before the show, right along the railing. I took some video of the show, and at the halfway point (the "boring part"), I started walking towards the exit. I watched the finale from almost the exit area, and quickly headed out of the park as soon as it was done. I decided to take the Friendship back to the BWI. I was dragging by this point. The lack of good sleep the night before had caught up to me and my feet and back were sore from all the walking today. The boat ride back was quick and enjoyable (BWI is the first stop, so that was handy), and I was soon back in my room. C was up, and feeling a bit better after eating, and we watched some t.v. for awhile before hitting the sack. C hoped to feel well enough to head out the next day, if even for just a little while.

faline
06-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe that chicken soup was what your sister really needed!

Illuminations and a yummy dessert are a nice way to close out your day!

princessgirls
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Poor C. I can totally sympathize.

I had a teary, miserable, fever filled, ended up with pneumonia and inflamed lung trip in 2009.
A few good things came out of that trip....kindness of others, husband totally stepped up to the plate with the kids, AND husband took us all back that December for a do-over. I think I spent a full day in the room, made the most of the situation, and got pushed around in a wheelchair for our Animal Kingdom day. Makes you appreciate your health!!

Nat...I think you had a fabulous day. Met some nice people, experienced some attractions, ate good food. Hope "C" can get out tomorrow.
Julie:mickey:

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I am hoping C can join you next day! So sad to be down and out in WDW, but what a great boyfriend. Watch out for the Poppins. :)

KylesMom
06-02-2011, 02:11 PM
What a crack-up that you ran into a couple from so close to home & could compare notes. Sounds like you did a pretty good job of getting them both to visit Disneyland!

Great relaxing afternoon at the pool, followed by Epcot & a nice viewing spot for Illuminations. I sure hope that chicken soup truly is the "wonder drug" that allows DSis to continue tomorrow. That was really sweet of her boyfriend! Love how you're photo tracking the trip for the boys, by the way!

Great report, Nat. Thanks for making my day a little brighter, too, by recommending where to sit for Star Tours in your last post! :thumbsup:

Melanie
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
So the creepy clown slide didn't freak you out? :D

I'm sorry your sister was so sick. Nothing worse than being sick on vacation and feeling like you are missing out. :( How did you feel touring alone though? I find I enjoy it once in a while.

RedSoxFan
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
A nice day by the pool Sounds like C is getting better. What a nice thoughtful boyfriend she has too. I agree; she needs to hang on to him!!

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I am feeling so bad for your sister..and for you too..I know you wish she was pal-ing around with you! I have a feeling she'll be with you tomorrow....

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I am feeling so bad for your sister..and for you too..I know you wish she was pal-ing around with you! I have a feeling she'll be with you tomorrow....

Yep, this was supposed to be our last good bonding trip before we move out east. I won't get to see her much after that. :( I felt so bad for her, and I was trying to have fun by myself (I usually LOVE doing the parks solo), but this trip was as much for her as it was for me, and I just didn't feel the same about touring the parks without her.

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
So the creepy clown slide didn't freak you out? :D

I'm not freaked out by clowns as a rule. I just hate the Spectromagic ones. :thedolls:

wildernesslady
06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Sounds like you had a good solo day. You have me thinking about club level. I hope your sister starts to feel well enough to join in the fun.

yjgirl32
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Poor C- maybe T being so sweet helped too. Hope she is able to go out tomorrow. Glad to see you still had a good day.

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2011, 08:36 PM
It looks like your sister is starting to perk up a bit. Hopefully you won't be flying solo tomorrow.

pdrlkr
06-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

darthmacho
06-06-2011, 05:55 AM
What rotten luck to be sick at WDW! :ill:

Mickey'sGirl
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
It sounds like your dear sister has turned the corner a bit! I hope she is back up to snuff so you can go out adventuring together tomorrow!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the report, hoping sis will feel better tomorrow

vizsla
06-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the report.