PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day Two Continues

Ian
06-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Saturday, May 21st continued:

DD9 already knew this because I had accidentally let it slip the day before, but my Mom (her Grandmom) was joining us on this vacation. It was kinda supposed to be a surprise, but I blew it. :blush:

Anyway, she was flying in Saturday morning and had already texted me that she'd landed at MCO and was on her way via Magical Express over to BW to check in. We agreed to meet at Epcot, so we also headed over to the Boardwalk to check-in. I was pretty happy, because Bell Services at AKV agreed to move our bags over to BWV for us. I know other people have done this many times, but the couple times I've asked previously I was always told it couldn't be done.

We arrived at BWV around 10AM or so and waited in line a tad longer than I would have liked. I'm not sure why, but I often have the experience of waiting in line in Disney World while staring at two, three, four, and five CM's all hovering over a computer, staring at a screen, instead of actually helping guests. I try not to let it bother me, but it does. To me, guests come first. Whatever idiocy you're dealing with on the computer can wait.

Anyway, the wait actually ended up not being too bad and Doris, the CM who checked us in, was very friendly. Naturally at this early hour our room wasn't ready yet, so she took my cell number for a text message later and we headed off to Epcot.

If you've never stayed at one of the Epcot area resorts, let me just tell you that you're missing out. Being able to stroll over to Epcot in a matter of minutes is just fantastic and I love the ability to come and go via International Gateway. Great benefit of staying there for sure.

Grandmom/Mom met us on the bridge between UK and France and I decided on the spur of the moment that I wanted to go see Impressions De France. Mel had been gushing about how good the remastered film looked and sounded, so it seemed like a good time to check it out again. She's right ... it looks awesome! Very beautiful and perhaps a new must-do for me on future trips.

We moved on and browsed around in Morocco for awhile. The kids wanted to color Duffys (the new version of what used to be the WS masks), so they sat in Morocco coloring for awhile while I wandered around, shopped, and took some pics. I have to say, that the little cutbacks here and there are really starting to mount up for me. One of the cool things they used to do in WS when they had the masks for kids was in each country they'd attach a little cutout symbol that was appropriate for the country you were in ... maybe a gondola for Italy, a panda for China, etc. Now they don't do that ... they've cut back to just stamping the handle (which they used to do, too). Kind of a bummer and not the only time I noticed little touches that had gone the way of the dodo.

After we finished in Morocco we headed up to America, colored Duffy a bit more, and then saw American Adventure. I was texting with Cara Goldsbury, of Luxury Guide to Walt Disney World fame, trying to meet up with her but we just missed each other. She left Epcot right after we went in to see AA.

After the show, we grabbed some food in the American quick serve place and then the kids decided they wanted to do the Kim Possible thing. Ours turned out to be in Japan, which was pretty cool. We had to restore nature to Japan by returning balance to the four elements of Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire. If you've never done a Kim Possible, they're really a lot of fun and very inventive. The Imagineers did a cool job integrating the game with elements of each of the pavilions.

Right around now I got a text that room 5051 in the Boardwalk Villas was ready for us to move in, so we started back to the resort. Mom's room wasn't ready yet, so she opted to hang in the park for a bit longer. The walk back was H-O-T hot and the kids were begging to go swimming, so once we got settled and our bags were delivered Dad agreed to take them down to the pool for a bit. Before that, though, we checked out the room that would be our home for the next 10 days and really liked what we saw. We had a great view of the Boardwalk area and could immediately tell we'd be able to see a good bit of IllumiNations from our balcony. The room was definitely a bit older looking and not nearly as modern as the one at AKV, but it was still in pretty good shape and more than adequate for our needs.

After what turned out to be a very refreshing dip in the Boardwalk pool (which is really nice, btw), we cleaned up and got ready for our dinner ADR's at Via Napoli. We'd never eaten there before but had heard good things from friends, so were pretty excited to try it out.

I have to say first impressions were a bit disappointing. I guess because we had so many kids, they sat us in quite literally the worst table in the place. It was over on this glassed in terrace they have along the side, all the way in the very back, next to a drink station of all things. It was also HOT. I actually had to ask our server to turn on the AC it was so uncomfortable, but they did and it actually cooled down pretty quickly.

I decided to order an appetizer of fried risotto and boy was I glad I did. It was delicious!! We all ordered pizza for dinner and let me tell you ... My Mom, who had just recently been in Italy and declared American pizza "ruined" for her, actuallyk raved about the pizza at Via Napoli. In fact, she declared it almost as good as the real thing! I'd have to agree ... Natalie (BrerNat) referred to it as the best pizza she'd ever had and, while it might sound like hyperbole, I think I'd have to agree. It was out of this world!

Dessert was also great. I had the Zeppole Di Catarina , which are these little fried balls of ricotta cheese that you dip in melted chocolate and whipped cream. They were delicious! DW and the kids had gelatto, which also drew raves. Overall a great meal and one we would choose to repeat later in the trip.

We walked around the rest of WS and checked the line for Maelstrom. It said 10 minutes, but was actually a bit longer than that. In addition, the queue had more than a few folks who had clearly attempted drinking around the world showcase (aka drunks!) who were pretty loud and obnoxious. I have to say that that's one aspect of WS (especially on weekends) that annoys me. When I'm trying to have a family vacation, I don't really need loud, obnoxious, visibly intoxicated people disturbing me. Wish Disney would police that a little better.

After we finished Maelstrom (and did the required browsing in the Helly Hansen store) we staked out a spot on the bridge and watched IllumiNations. I decided to torment my friend Emily with some text messages including audio snippets of the show. She was actually supposed to join us for this trip, but work committments derailed her plans. She was very appreciative of my efforts to try and include her in our vacation lol. ;)

After RoE ended, we walked back to the Boardwalk and sat out on the balcony for a bit just soaking in the atmosphere. Around 10PM we discovered something else kinda cool about our view ... we had quite a good view of Wishes! The kids and I sat and watched the fireworks for awhile before turning in for the night.

Stay tuned for day three!

KylesMom
06-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Trying to keep too many secrets that you let one slip about Grandmom, eh?! :mickey: I bet DD was thrilled!

Nice that you finally received one of the amenities you've heard about but never experienced - Disney moving your luggage. I bet that was quite a time-saver.

Moving on to Epcot, I agree with the Kim Possible Missions - They're fun! We've done several, but my favorite is Japan. The afternoon swim set up your evening quite nicely.

Yay - :thumbsup: for Via Napoli. That's on our "new" list this year, and for the most part the reviews have been good. Glad it didn't disappoint for your family!

Great way to end the night - Illuminations live and Wishes from your balcony. Doesn't get much better! :mickey:

yjgirl32
06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Great report. Helping to get me psyched for our Disney trip in 12 days!!!! Ok so I really don't need any help. Thanks for sharing.

faline
06-02-2011, 11:58 AM
We haven't been to Via Nappoli yet but may need to get that into our plans for another trip.

Your room and location at Boardwalk sound wonderful! Was it noisy at all? That's our biggest concern with that location.

Fireworks galore to end your day!

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
What a great day! I want to try the Kim Possible missions when we bring our kids back to the World.

We sat in the same place at Via Napoli. I agree, it was a weird place to sit, but thankfully it was nice and cool in there when we went. Pizza there was SOOOO good!

That's mean that you were texting Emily from Epcot while she had to be at WORK. Who would do such a torturous thing? ;) :blush:

Can't wait to read more!

princessgirls
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Great report Ian!!

More surprise visitors to celebrate is awesome!!!

I've heard fantastic things about the BWV. Morgan's orthodontist RAVES about it. They are DVC owners, and own at SSR, but always try and stay at BWV. They LOVE the views and feel of the resort as well.

Can't wait to try the Kim Possible interactive game this trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip.
Julie:mickey:

biodtl
06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Money has kept us away longer than our usual 2 years, so we're really looking forward to our spring trip this year because of the new things in Epcot, like Kim Possible and Via Napoli. I'm glad to hear good things about both.

The drunks are definitely the downside (and we usually go during FWF, so there are a lot of drinkers). I like to have a few drinks myself, but people CAN get out of hand. Last time, I had a drunk guy in Mexico taunting me for no reason while my kids and I were waiting for DH to meet us. He stood there, WAY too close, and simply started mocking me - everything I was saying. It scared the kids and me too. If the kids hadn't been there, I would have probably had something to say and gone to find a CM, but they were freaked out enough, so we just tried to ignore him. I'm glad he lost interest before DH got there, because he would not have been happy.

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Same thing here..on our last trip we just noticed lots of little touches and details that Disney does best, well, they just weren't there..
As for Via Napoli..Agreed!! That super thin crust pizza is delightful!!!

wildernesslady
06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I completely agree with Via Napoli. The food is delicious. The BW location is the best. You can't beat walking back to your room after Illuminations.

T-Belle
06-02-2011, 07:55 PM
What a great day! I've always wanted to stay at BW just for the reasons you gave. Popping over to Epcot without any hassle sounds wonderful. Also, gonna have to try the pizza and fried risotto. Sounds delish!

JanetMegan
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I know you haven't done day by day reports in awhile, so glad you are! Enjoying reading about the surprise trip!

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a wonderful first full day.

Via Napoli is going to have to be on my "must do" list next trip. I've yet to read a negative review.

SBETigg
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Aside from the whimsical pizza ovens, the atmosphere in Via Napoli is kind of plain anywhere you sit. But the food makes up for it. I'm glad you all enjoyed it. How fun that your parents came along! I agree about policing the drinkers. It's too bad people don't police themselves better. Drinking around the world is too much for anyone if you take it literally and do an alcoholic beverage or more in each country, and I think some people do. We ran into a very intoxicated group of guys at the Rose and Crown last trip.

January-2007
06-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

pdrlkr
06-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Ian
06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I agree about policing the drinkers. It's too bad people don't police themselves better. Drinking around the world is too much for anyone if you take it literally and do an alcoholic beverage or more in each country, and I think some people do. We ran into a very intoxicated group of guys at the Rose and Crown last trip.Yeah, I have to say that while it probably shouldn't, it does shock me a bit that Disney lets that go on. Aside from the fact that it's just bad show in general, I'd think their liability from allowing people to get that intoxicated in a theme park filled with some pretty dangerous rides would be enough to make them police it a lot more strongly.

I mean, can you imagine some drunk dude deciding he wanted to hop out of his car on Test Track or something??

RedSoxFan
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
A nice day. Love Via Napoli --- great food and atmosphere (my daughter and niece, age 14, liked the 'hot' waiters).

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Sounds like you had a great view:mickey:

darthmacho
06-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, just last year, my kids got the Kidcot masks with the added attachments. I wonder how much Disney saved cutting that cost. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I'm getting jealous about not having ever stayed at an Epcot resort, that and a monorail resort are going to happen some day, I hope.

Via Napoli sounds great! Definitely on my agenda for next year's trip. I want goat cheese and roasted red peppers. Please tell me they have that! :blush:

Zeppole and gelato? Now you're making me nostalgic for my childhood growing up in the North End of Boston!

Finally, too bad about the drunkards. I had a similar experience at Fenway Park last year. I was appalled by the obnoxious behavior my kids were forced to witness. It should be even more unexpected at a family friendly environment such as WDW. I don't begrudge anyone a few drinks, but to go to WS just to get obliterated? I don't think Walt would appreciate that.

Anyway, fabulous report.

DisneyorBust
06-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like you have a fantastic room location a BCV! Being able to view Illuminations and WISHES! from your balcony is pretty nice.
In regards to Via Napoli, it has become a 'must do' for us!
Great reports, btw. Thanks for sharing !

DizNee143
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
what a great day at Epcot! and wow dinner sounded absolutely delicious!! i was debating about going there on our next trip..but i think ive just made up my mind..:mickey:
also the Boardwalk is one of my favorite resorts!! like you i love being sooo close to Epcot..all around i just think its a really great resort..

Dsnygirl
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
What a great first day in the parks, and you have made me SO want to stay at the BW! My DH and I would love the convenience of strolling back & forth to Epcot... and the views sounded fantastic. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear Via Napoli was better than first anticipated... another place we'd like to try. Those little ricotta balls you mentioned sound awesome...

Heading off the hear about day 3!