PDA

View Full Version : teacher gift?

Kathy Jetson
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide what to get my sons first grade teacher for an end of the year gift. Any ideas?

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
We make a monetary donation to the school in the teacher's name, and take a plant for the teacher him/herself.

I come from a family full of teachers, and they assure me that they do not want us spending money on coffee mugs or apple themed gifts. Something from your child is their favourite thing.

buzznwoodysmom
06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
It definitely depends on how well you know your child's teacher, and if you know this gift will be appreciated or not enjoyed. I was good friends with both of my kids teachers one year so I knew this would be a gift they would enjoy. I got them each a gift certificate to a spa so that they could pamper themselves a bit during their summer off! They both loved it! I understand that not everyone would appreciate this gift, not everyone is comfortable with the whole massage thing. But it could be used for a number of other things offered at a spa.

This year several moms in each class put together to get one nice gift from the class. One teacher received a pair of diamond loop earrings, the other a gift certificate to her favorite store. My kids were new at this school, they were only there for the last 9 weeks so I didn't know either teacher well enough to know what they liked. It was great that some of the mom's who knew them took charge and all I had to do was send money.

If you know of their favorite restaurant or favorite type of food you could give them a gift card to eat out.

I'm sure they will appreciate anything you give.

magicofdisney
06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I did a gift card, as well. I'm a huge fan of giving and receiving them.

Dulcee
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
My Mother is a teacher. Her favorites are always the gift cards to barnes & noble as well as one that she got to a local restaurant.

Non- gift card, she was a big fan of a vera bradley wrislet from one student.

vicster
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
My daughter teaches and loves the gift cards - Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Target.

MNNHFLTX
06-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Lots of teachers in my family and they all prefer gift cards. That way they can treat themself to an occasional meal out. :)

NewDVCowner
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I come from a family of teachers as well and will also say gift cards.

However I was reading something the other day (Dear Abby???) and someone wrote in and suggested having your child select a book for the teachers classroom. The kid will know if she (or he) has the book or not, and it adds to the classroom. I thought that was a lovely idea.

PirateLover
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
As a teacher, I appreciate gift cards the most. Knick knacky things are cute, but not practical for most of us. :thumbsup:

disney obsessed
06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
My favorite was disney dollars! The class knew I was planning a surprise trip for my kids at the end of the month. And they knew I LOVE disney world. The moms pooled all of the money and bought disney dollars. :D

After that I loved gift cards. Target is great because you can chose to buy something for yourself or for the classroom. Many teachers spend a great deal of their own money on the needs of the classroom.

minnie-mouse
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Gift cards! Everryone can use gift cards and they are not as impersonal as giving money. All teachers appreciate gift cards!

Kathy Jetson
06-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you everyone I will go with a gift card:mickey: