PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day One

Ian
06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi all ... just got back from 11 glorious days in The World and thought I'd post some trip reports so folks could hear the good, the bad, and the ugly from our most recent stay.

First, the basics ...

Who: The whole clan! Myself, Ian, 41 year old Father of four. DW, Mother and epic Disney World trooper. Our four kids, DD9, DS4, and my DD twins both 10 months.
What: A 10 night/11 day stay at The Walt Disney World Resort!
When: Left home the night of May 19th and didn't return until last night, May 31st.Where: First night was at the Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani) and the rest of the time we were in a one bedroom at the Boardwalk Villas, boardwalk view.
Why: DD's 9th birthday celebration! More on that in a minute ...

Okay, so this trip report requires a little bit of set up. The planning for this trip started (as so many other have) immediately upon returning from our last trip in December. DD had been begging us for years to take her to Disney World "on her actual birthday!!!" She'd been many times right around her birthday (usually a week or so before), but she really wanted to spend her actual birthday in Disney World. Since it's so close to Memorial Day Weekend, though, Mom & Dad were reluctant. Not only that, but when we go in May we normally want to hit the Flower and Garden Festival and that typically ends the week before her birthday.

However, she was so excited about the idea that she eventually got Mom and Dad excited, too. We started toying with the idea of going for her birthday and soon toying morphed into actual planning. By coincidence, as the planning evolved, we started seeing the new Disney World commercials where they show the videos of the parents surprising their kids with trips and we thought, "Man ... wouldn't it be cool if we could surprise the kids with this trip??" And so it was born ... The Great Surprise Birthday Trip of 2011.

Not simply satisfied with planning a surprise trip, we started telling the kids that we'd be taking them to Colonial Williamsburg in May for a week's vacation. We worked double overtime to make the trip sound as terrible as we could! By the time we were done (perhaps to our future detriment ;) ) the kids were fearing a brutally boring week spent touring moldy old buildings.

So that's the set-up. And now, the adventure begins ...

Day One - Originally we had planned on setting out on the afternoon of Friday, May 20th but the truth is Mom and Dad were so excited to get things underway that we ended up leaving Thursday night instead and driving about 6 hours before stopping for the night in Emporia, VA. We got back on the road around 8AM the following morning, waved to Pedro as we passed through South of the Border, and motored into Disney World around 6PM.

Believe it or not, despite driving past many purple signs prominently featuring the word "Disney" on them, DD had no clue where we were. She and her brother were happily playing on their iPad until, quite literally, we pulled up to the guard booth at VAKL. At that point, I turned on the video camera and proclaimed that, "We must be lost!" I pointed out the welcome sign to the kids and they both lit up and shouted, "WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD?????"

Priceless ....

Stay tuned for a wrap-up report of our arrival as well as a full report on our first day in the parks!

yjgirl32
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Very nice.

KylesMom
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Not simply satisfied with planning a surprise trip, we started telling the kids that we'd be taking them to Colonial Williamsburg in May for a week's vacation. We worked double overtime to make the trip sound as terrible as we could! By the time we were done (perhaps to our future detriment) the kids were fearing a brutally boring week spent touring moldy old buildings. Ian, you had me cracking up during the INTERCOT Insider episode when you explained what you were up to. I absolutely cannot believe, with all of the visits to Disney World, that DD really had no clue until point-blank arrival where she was. What a great magical moment that had to be for DW and yourself!

Looking forward to the next installment. :mickey:

AgentC
06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
That is too funny. The most we have ever done is not tell our children until we pick them up from school that we are going to Disney that day. Since we are close and always drive I am not sure we could pull it off.

Auntie B
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
What a great start to your trip - can't wait to read more!

biodtl
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I would LOVE to surprise my kids, but I can't imagine working out the logistics of it, since 1) we generally go during the school year and there is a lot of planning involved, and 2) I am the one who gets the most excited and I am not sure I could keep it a secret (along with my extended family who are all TERRIBLE with secrets). I love reading about other people's WDW surprises!

cer
06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Yippie!

Good job pulling off the surprise. :thumbsup:

princessgirls
06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
That's great Ian!

So glad you were able to pull off that surprise for your daughter's birthday!

Road trip Warriors and all...you made some memories of a lifetime!

Can't wait to read more.

Julie:mickey:

wildernesslady
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm glad the surprise was a success. It's funny the kids didn't figure it out after have such a long ride. I was at the Boardwalk on a solo trip last week. I saw three different families with sets of twins. I wonder if your family was one of them. Sounds like you were off to a great start.

Ian
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
What a great magical moment that had to be for DW and yourself!I'll probably post the video somewhere, so if I remember I'll share the link so you can watch it unfold.

I was at the Boardwalk on a solo trip last week. I saw three different families with sets of twins. I wonder if your family was one of them.Did you see two bigger kids stampeding out ahead of the pack, most likely with a big sister in the lead and a little brother following behind yelling, "SLOW DOWN!! NOT FAIR!!!"? Were there two happy yet tired looking parents following behind them wheeling one large double stroller with two adorable little girls in it and one empty black stroller? If so, that was us. ;)

emerzmom
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
What a great birthday surprise! My daughter, now 21, has asked many times to spend her actual birthday at WDW too. This gives me inspiration! I am just not sure I could keep it a secret. I get tooooo excited about the trip and I am sure I would end up giving it away :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Did you see two bigger kids stampeding out ahead of the pack, most likely with a big sister in the lead and a little brother following behind yelling, "SLOW DOWN!! NOT FAIR!!!"? Were there two happy yet tired looking parents following behind them wheeling one large double stroller with two adorable little girls in it and one empty black stroller? If so, that was us. ;)

Hey! I saw that family. ;)

Great first day report. You are NEVER going to be able to go to Williamsburg now.

Can't believe you pulled that off. I guess ipads are good distractions, huh?

Off to read the next installment.

Melanie
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Not simply satisfied with planning a surprise trip, we started telling the kids that we'd be taking them to Colonial Williamsburg in May for a week's vacation. We worked double overtime to make the trip sound as terrible as we could! By the time we were done (perhaps to our future detriment ;) ) the kids were fearing a brutally boring week spent touring moldy old buildings.

Oh man...I hope you can get them to Williamsburg sometime and they don't hate it (this coming from the history buff in me). ;)

Good setup and start to your looooong vacation. I'm glad the first surprise went off without a hitch.

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Oooo! I heard you talking about this on the podcast, so now I get to hear how it all panned out..Yeah!!!

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Awesome! I hope you don't plan to ever take them to Colonial Williamsburg after that build-up. ;)

faline
06-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Congrats on pulling off the surprise so well!

Terrific start! (Hope there's not too much bad and/or ugly!)

DisneyorBust
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Way to go! Pulling off the surprise so well. The look on your children's faces had to be priceless!

wildernesslady
06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
I'll probably post the video somewhere, so if I remember I'll share the link so you can watch it unfold.

Did you see two bigger kids stampeding out ahead of the pack, most likely with a big sister in the lead and a little brother following behind yelling, "SLOW DOWN!! NOT FAIR!!!"? Were there two happy yet tired looking parents following behind them wheeling one large double stroller with two adorable little girls in it and one empty black stroller? If so, that was us. ;)

I think I did. I was only in DW for 24 hrs. from Tuesday to Wednesday of last week. On Tuesday night I stopped on the boardwalk to respond to text and I remember there was a family at the next table. There was a little girl taunting her brother and a set of twins. The dad was trying to get her to stop. I don't think it was working, but it really made me miss my family at home. This was my first time in DW solo. That would be funny if it was your family. Please keep the reports coming.

Ian
06-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I think I did. I was only in DW for 24 hrs. from Tuesday to Wednesday of last week. On Tuesday night I stopped on the boardwalk to respond to text and I remember there was a family at the next table. There was a little girl taunting her brother and a set of twins. The dad was trying to get her to stop. I don't think it was working .. but it really made me miss my family at home. This was my first time in DW solo. That would be funny if it was your family. Please keep the reports coming.Yep, that was us! Just checked my notes and on Tuesday night we sat outside Seashore Sweets and had ice cream.

I actually remember the taunting you're referencing, too. Too funny!

RedSoxFan
06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
WOW --- What a great surprise!! Off to a nice start.

wildernesslady
06-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Yep, that was us! Just checked my notes and on Tuesday night we sat outside Seashore Sweets and had ice cream.

I actually remember the taunting you're referencing, too. Too funny!

Oh My!!! It's a small world afterall. I wish I had said hello.

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Great surprise. I remember hearing about it on one of the podcasts. Glad you were able to pull off the surprise.

We surprised our kids once after a trip to Vero Beach. Not only did our kids not notice the signs once, but they didn't notice any of the signs we passed on the way to Vero as well as the signs on the way to WDW.

January-2007
06-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for reporting.

pdrlkr
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Wow, can't believe you pulled that one off.....

darthmacho
06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Wait, so we're NOT getting a Colonial Williamsburg trip report? How disappointing...:mickey:

Great work on the surprise, though I'm finding kids will fall for just about anything these days.

Interested to read how a family of six handles WDW.

DizNee143
06-10-2011, 02:09 PM
i love hearing (well in this case reading..lol) about surprise trips! sounds like you guys are off to nice start!:mickey:

Dsnygirl
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
:thumbsup: Yeah Ian on the surprise!! Can't believe you pulled it off in front of AKL!! Gotta love iPads.... ;)

This sounds like the beginnings of an awesome trip... can't wait to read more!

(and my DD12 just saw your avatar and made me promise to tell you that it rocks.... :D)