PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Thrashers Moving to Winepeg

JPL
05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
It's finally official the Atlanta Thrasher are moving to Winepeg starting the 2011-2012 Season. The division will not be realigned making travel more difficult for the Southeast division teams.

WDWfanatic742
05-31-2011, 01:31 PM
The division will not be realigned making travel more difficult for the Southeast division teams.

That's going to stink for the Lightning and Panthers especially...

BraddyB
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
That's going to stink for the Lightning and Panthers especially...

Eh, no one likes the Bolts on here ;)

Its cool that the Jets will be back, but stinks for the people in Atlanta that are hockey fans

Melanie
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Eh, no one likes the Bolts on here ;)

Heh. ;)

Maybe I heard wrong, but my understanding is the divisions won't be realigned for the '11-'12 season, but will be after that. :shrug:

Strmchsr
05-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Heh. ;)

Maybe I heard wrong, but my understanding is the divisions won't be realigned for the '11-'12 season, but will be after that. :shrug:

Yep, that's correct.

Well, dang it. ATL was only 2 1/2 hours away for me. Now I have to drive to Tampa or Nashville to see NHL hockey.

CanadianWDWFan
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Yep, that's correct.

Well, dang it. ATL was only 2 1/2 hours away for me. Now I have to drive to Tampa or Nashville to see NHL hockey.
Heck, I live in Toronto and it is at least a 2-1/2 hour drive away for me to see NHL hockey.:D

Good news for all those Winterpeggers! Now if they can only support the team better than they they did the Jets. I for one will never understand the folly of Bettman's expansion plans. The only team in the south that has done anything is Tampa. He has got to go, since he has taken over this once GREAT league has been reduced to a shadow of its former self.

JPL
05-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Basically the schedule for next season is already made and they can't realign the divisions on such short notice without changing everything.

BraddyB
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Heh. ;)

I knew that would get your attention ha ha ha :D

Melanie
05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Basically the schedule for next season is already made and they can't realign the divisions on such short notice without changing everything.

Yeah, that makes sense and I don't have a problem with that. But when my guys are dragging because they've gone from DC to Winnipeg to Miami to Winnepeg...then that's just evil. :thedolls: :D

JPL
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah really not good for teams in the Southeast. I heard Nashville will be moving to your division next year.

Melanie
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah really not good for teams in the Southeast. I heard Nashville will be moving to your division next year.

Yeah....maybe Carrie Underwood will make an appearance. ;)

Ian
06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Glad for Winnipeg that they're back in the league. Also glad overall they're adding another Canadian franchise.

Very tactical question, though ... will they take the "Thrashers" name with them? Go back to the Jets? Take a new name entirely?

Strmchsr
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Very tactical question, though ... will they take the "Thrashers" name with them? Go back to the Jets? Take a new name entirely?

Well, I think I can say with 100% certainty that the Thrasher name is gone since that's the Georgia state bird and I don't figure Canadians want to their team named after Georgia. :-) Several of the sports stations in Canada have been doing polls on that and it seems it's about a 50-50 split between folks wanting the Jets and folks wanting a new name. Personally, "Jets" doesn't excite me too much. I would like to see something cool (or go with the minor league team name "Manitoba Moose" which I like a lot. :D )

CanadianWDWFan
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Personally, "Jets" doesn't excite me too much. I would like to see something cool (or go with the minor league team name "Manitoba Moose" which I like a lot. :D )
Don't get me started on the Moose!! From my understanding the "Jets" came from the fact that there was a huge Boeing plant in the 'Peg. Seriously, the name the Jets is just simply nostalgic. The folks in Winnipeg just want a team back, any team. They are even saying that there is a possibility that the Thrashers name will stick.

On a side note, the fans will be paying the second highest prices for tickets. Go figure the two highest priced tickets go for two mediocre teams at best, Toronto and now Winnipeg.

Strmchsr
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't get me started on the Moose!!

Aw, come on Brian. Don't you like the Moose? :D

indytraveler
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Still don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm all for contraction of each major league sport. Hockey much like baseball is too watered down. As far as the team name???? I'd like to see the Jets come back much like when football returned to Cleveland they used Browns.

Mackflava99
06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I travel to Atlanta alot for Work, i have been able to attend a dozen or so Thrasher games.

Very nice rink, and the team always plays hard.
Great food selection.
The fans don't really know hockey and you can buy tickets from scalpers for prices about 1/4 of the face value. There is no need to go to the ticket office.
They have really never developed the strong fan base. People in the office say " The who?" when i asked about the Thrashers.

First the Atlanta Flames, now the Thrashers, Atlanta does not deserve a hockey team. If they can't support them with such a nice arena, I doubt it would have gotten any better.

I think bringing the JETS back is GREAT, there is tradition and history.

Ramblingman
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I attended high school in Atlanta, and we went to many Flames games, usually sitting in the nosebleed section with our beers and waiting for a good fight. It was always fun when the Sabres or Flyers came to town.

As for realignment, it's going to definitely be rough for the Bolts this year. Talk about serious jet lag...

As for name changes, I point out that the Flames remained so in Calgary, and that name was taken from the burning of Atlanta by General Sherman. Also, remember the Utah Jazz kept their name when they moved from New Orleans (you didn't really think they have jazz in Salt Lake City, did you?)

It's sad that Atlanta has so many people and can barely support their sports teams. The same can be said for Tampa. I wish things were different.

WDWfanatic742
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
It's sad that Atlanta has so many people and can barely support their sports teams. The same can be said for Tampa. I wish things were different.

It happens all over Florida. Nobody went to Heat games until they signed those guys, then everybody bandwagons to them. Same can be said for the Dolphins and Marlins. You can just look at the Jaguars and how they are going to move to LA eventually because they have zero hometown support. There are very few people down here that will stick to their team when they are down. Not to mention alot of people (including myself) that don't have any of the local teams as their favorite team in that sport.

The only sports that differ from this are in college. Don't think I've met anyone that lives in Florida where their favorite college isn't one of the big three (UF, FSU, Miami) or at least the big five (UCF, USF).

Ramblingman
06-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Don't think I've met anyone that lives in Florida where their favorite college isn't one of the big three (UF, FSU, Miami) or at least the big five (UCF, USF).

(does the Tomahawk Chop)

I went to FSU so you know where my loyalties lie. LOL.

Somewhat true about pro sports teams. I grew up a Brave fan and will always follow them, but I do love my Rays. The Bucs are my one and only NFL team. I stick with the Bolts although I am not a big hockey guy. As for the NBA, I don't follow it and don't care for any of the teams.

College sports? I've always heard that in the North it's a sport. Out West, it's entertainment. In the Midwest, it's an occupation. But in the South, it's a religion.

Greenlawler
06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Quick Points

A.) Agreed, hockey has failed in Atlanta enough that we can say it does not work there. Of course the same could be said about their basketball team.

B.) Nashville will resist the move to southeast, it would seem like a better fit, and much easier path to the playoffs i.e. no Red Wings, Blues, or Blackhawks (no offense Bolts fans just reality). However Nashville has established rivalries with all three teams and the games vs. Chicago and Detriot are always sell outs. The auto industries move to the south from the north brought workers by the thousands to Nashville in the 90's. Therefore there are a huge group of Nashville Hockey fans called the "Pred Wings".

WDWfanatic742
06-27-2011, 05:47 AM
So I was reading an article on ESPN talking about realignment in 2012-2013 this morning...

With Western Conference teams Detroit, Nashville and Columbus hoping to be relocated to the East, the NHL has opted to realign the entire league rather than shifting Winnipeg, according to the Sporting News.

The purveying plan seeks to divide the league into four divisions -- two with eight teams and two with seven teams. The plan will likely be finalized at December's Board of Governors meeting.

Sounds very interesting, you don't see divisions with eight teams in North American sports these days...

JPL
06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I highly doubt the owners would agree to that because of the playoffs and revenue.

CanadianWDWFan
06-27-2011, 04:34 PM
It seems that they are going back to the days when there were only 4 divisions. Ahhh, the old "Chuck" Norris division rivalries:

Chicago Black Hawks
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota North Stars
St. Louis Blues
Toronto Maple Leafs

Now there was some exciting hockey going on in those days. Sure there was a lot of fighting going on but hockey was really different in the "good ole" days. I guess that I am aging myself with this post. :old:

brivers222
06-27-2011, 11:16 PM
I hope that we (Detroit) move to the EAST.... i am so sick of the 10:30PM games... especially in the playoffs. You can tell the travel just gets to our players.... they have to cross the country almost 3-4 times a round for first 3 rounds. Being in the East makes so much more sense!

Plus, only seeing Chicago of the original 6 at the JoeLouis is terrible!

Ah yes the good ole Norris division... Them was the days!!!!