PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about food at the American Pavilion in Epcot?

KatrinaJ91
05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the food at the American pavilion in Epcot. I think this is a total letdown. It's the one place where we rarely stop and never eat there! Hot dogs are the best food in America?? What about southern food, BBQ, Chicago vs NY style pizza, California cuisine, Philly cheesesteak....I could go on and on! It just feels like there wasn't enough thought put into dining there. Just wondered what others think about this!

Disney-4-Me
05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I've kind of expected their menu to be updated for years. It must work for Disney though or they'd make the change.

CanadaLovesDisney
05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
We never eat there but we sure would if they offered some of that southern food you Americans do so well!

Donald's Girl
05-30-2011, 11:04 PM
I always understood that this menu was specifically underplayed since we are the home country and didn't want to "outdo" or overshadow the other countries.
Other "American" food is also available at Coral Reef and Garden Grill.

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
It should be avoided...except for the funnel cakes.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-31-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree that it is "boring" food, but everytime we have eaten there, it has been packed. So, it is working for Disney. Many people must flock to it, because it is "comfort" type food, in contrast to the various menus of the World Showcase pavillions, which may be different for some visitors.

Still, I'd love to see some great regional food on the menu.

disneydeb
05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
I thought it was rediculous when I first went to Epcot almst 25 years ago. Things are no better, we NEVER eat there.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
We only ate there once and it was enough:sick: I think it is an embarassing representation of American cuisine...we could do so many other things with it....

DizneyRox
05-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I think it's the safe food thing. It's about as far as you can get across the lagoon, so having something safe all the way out there is probably by design.

The other problem is, how do they pick what to offer, and how authentic would it really be. BBQ is not just BBQ, there are many many kinds.

So, while I would love to see a change, I don't see it happening... I guess I'll have to settle for the funnel cakes.

beksy
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
I have thought for a long time that this was one area where the World Showcase food offerings could be improved. I think that a buffet would be great here with choices from the different regions of the U.S. It could highlight what we tend to think of in terms of food when we think of an area of the U.S. Maybe offer some grits for the south? :thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
The other problem is, how do they pick what to offer, and how authentic would it really be. BBQ is not just BBQ, there are many many kinds.

Are you kidding? There's only one kind - Texas.

crmark1
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

If your talking pork BBQ your wrong! Only Eastern North Carolina pulled pork is the real thing!

Dulcee
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
If your talking pork BBQ your wrong! Only Eastern North Carolina pulled pork is the real thing!

You mean chopped pork, and it really comes from Western North Carolina ;)

And I agree with the original post. It is a let down. We've always assumed its for those who travel through world showcase and are less adventurous eaters.

jillluvsdisney
05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I've never eaten in there. That should tell you what I think of it.:sick:

HoosierDisneyFan
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
OK I know that I will hear about this but... I don't mind the current CS resturant in American pavilion. I am not saying that I eat there often (only once actually) but it is nice to have the option available. Every time I have looked in the place it seems to be busy (they cannot all be 1st timers can they?). When my son was very young he turned his nose up at about every CS opinion in WS so I was glad to have a burger / chicken nugget option for him (without having to walk all the way back to the Future section of EPCOT). Glad he is over that stage!!

That said, a nice TS resturant that reflected foods from many different regions of the country would be nice (or a wider variety at the CS location). The problem I see is that just like the BBQ debate above, what foods to you include / exclude?

steamboat willy
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM

CAROLINA BBQ :thumbsup::eat::thumbsup:

I agree the American Pavilion could use a bit of and food upgrade, but that's why we have so many other choices from the other countries.

MinnieMommie
06-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I like the barbecue pork sandwich and sometimes we stop for nuggets and a burger but I do agree they could (should) enhance the menu. I would love to be able to get mac and cheese, seafood (like crab cake and lobster roll), meat loaf, turkey and pot roast. As sandwiches these would fit into a CS venue. Would also like it if they had a table service as well. Then they could really do some nice regional American dishes.

MNNHFLTX
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I always understood that this menu was specifically underplayed since we are the home country and didn't want to "outdo" or overshadow the other countries.
Well, there's definitely no danger of that. ;)

IMO, the menu at the Liberty is pretty bad--typical fast-food stuff that (to be fair) the U.S. is known for. I do think there is some room to improve the offerings and make them more interesting and more appetizing.

DNS
06-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I have one word to describe it -- PATHETIC! :ack: It is not even a good representation of the fast food in this country, much less all the food! I have complained about this since we first started going there. The show is great, the pavilion style is great. The restaurant and gift shop are horribly embarrassing. I have always thought with the diverse foods we have in this country, maybe a food court with regional influence would be good. Southern, northeastern, southwestern, etc. Would Showcase with it's grandeur is no place for boring burgers, in my opinion!

ransam
06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
i agree that it is a let down, but then again, it's always busy so somebody likes it...
it seems that while WDW does draw from every walk of life, a good majority of the visitors are from somewhere in America, and maybe since we can have american food every day, maybe they figure most of us will eat some of the other countries food?
to be honest,i have no idea.
it would be fun to have maybe a competition? maybe differnt pizzas like mentioned. or kansas city vs Memphis bar b q, etc.....

RAIDER
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
As an outsider its very bland ...sorry :(
With so much variety in WS its not a place i would stop at for a meal and US food does have a good variety but its just not used at all an example such as Gumbo to name one
However
I love your programmes we get in the UK like Man vs Food and Diners Drives & Dives and i wish you guys would have something along those lines as that would be great :thumbsup:

wildernesslady
06-05-2011, 04:54 PM
It would be great to have a variety from all the different regions of our country; although, I really enjoy trying the different countries offerings.

AdventurerKim
06-05-2011, 09:33 PM
It's been at least 12+ years since we've eaten there, and the food is definitely a let-down. We think there should be a variety of food from different parts of the country, like gumbo, philly cheesesteak sandwiches, NYC pizza, clam chowder, texmex, etc.. I don't think that would overshadow the other countries. One reason I like eating at the other countries' restaurants is to taste their native cuisine. Many people from other countries visit WDW and should be able to get a taste of the different types of food around this country.

TheRustyScupper
06-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Let's put it this way . . .
. . . Disney is hiring part & full time for Quick Service
. . . all the QS eateries need people
. . . Liberty Inn is reducing employee hours
. . . they have too little business for the employees

HINT, HINT, HINT !

McLiberal8
06-05-2011, 11:22 PM
like gumbo, philly cheesesteak sandwiches, NYC pizza, clam chowder, texmex, etc..

I think that is part of the issue. Pizza is Italian, texmex is half Mex...

America is a melting pot, and you can see that in our food. But we don't have a distinguishing cuisine that has numerous options. None that I can think of, anyway. If we had a restaurant, wouldn't it end up being like 'America's take' on other countries foods?

DNS
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I think that is part of the issue. Pizza is Italian, texmex is half Mex...

America is a melting pot, and you can see that in our food. But we don't have a distinguishing cuisine that has numerous options. None that I can think of, anyway. If we had a restaurant, wouldn't it end up being like 'America's take' on other countries foods?
Since we are a country of immigrants, naturally food has been brought here from around the world, but we have seriously changed most of it making it uniquely American. Where else in World Showcase can you get the types of foods that have been mentioned here?? :)

LandFan
06-06-2011, 01:56 PM
We can't do better than burgers?

Really???

BrerGnat
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Ok, to play devil's advocate here:

THEY DO offer foods that are quintessentially "American" in nature.

Hamburgers
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Fried Chicken
Iceberg "Wedge" Salad
Buffalo style chicken
Chili
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Apple Cobbler

All these things originated in America. Like it or not, this country's roots are in immigrant cuisine brought over, and foods that were "adapted" to fit the tight budgets of many Americans in the early days of immigration. This food, while not haute cuisine, served a purpose back then, and is our country's "comfort food" now.

You can get meatloaf and pot roast at Liberty Tree Tavern, or 50's PTC. There is "American" food all over the WDW property.

I, for one, appreciate that there is a place in WS with "standard American fast food" offerings, because sometimes people just want that, particularly picky eaters!

JerseyDad
06-06-2011, 10:38 PM
......other than grabbing a brew outside of the American Pavilion....that's the closest I've ever got to eating there...and now I'm kinda' glad I haven't. If the food offerings that were mentioned earlier are ALL they have to offer...then they really missed the boat!! I'm a "foodie"...and love variety. As such I am not really partial to one certain thing (well...okay....good pizza...and a good bagel can't be found outside of NYC). Anyway....American food diversity is where they could have gone with their offerings (besides hot dogs & hamburgers).

What about:

Maine Lobster Rolls
Cajun Deep Fried Okra
Chicago Style Pizza or Hot Dogs
Philadelphia Soft Pretzels
NY Cheesecake
Pacific Northwest Salmon
Spam!! (and NO...I'm not kidding)

Tink#64
06-07-2011, 12:29 AM
OK, then how about KFC (Louisville, KY native here :blush:) or McDonalds? It doesn't get any more white bread American than either of those! lol But we do love our BBQ, most any style would be a vast improvement over the current AA offerings!

We ate at the AA our first visit, and never again! We thought it was beyond bland! :ack:

whitney37354
06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

And I agree with the original post. It is a let down. We've always assumed its for those who travel through world showcase and are less adventurous eaters.

I've had vinegar based bbq & it was okay, but I prefer sweet! I don't know the difference in Carolina, Texas, Memphis, etc. bbq...

We ate at Liberty Inn last June because we were hot, tired, & it was the only place I knew that DH & DD would both find something they would like. DH is still kind of a picky eater at 38 years old! DH had bbq sandwich, I had a chili cheese dog, & DD had chicken nuggets. It was one of the best CS meals I had all week! People were standing over our table waiting for us to leave & the place was packed. We are a nation of fast food junkies, I guess.

big blue and hairy
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I may get flamed for saying this, but as someone who lived in the Carolinas for almost two decades...Memphis Barbeque is fantastic!

:sulley: