PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Shades of Green for freinds

spoiledraf
05-30-2011, 03:32 PM
As the resident Disney Guru, a freind asked me for info on Shades of Green. HUGE family vacation for I'm guessing about 40 people from age 6 months to 60 something.

Are there any specifics you need to know about this resort. Is it the same type of package as other resorts for food and tickets? I've been under the impression it does things a little different.

And what is the resort like and is there a special page to get info. Any and all info is appreciated. I don't want to Tarnish my Disney planning reputation and leave some info out. Thanks and Happy Memorial day to all the men and women of the military, past and present.

Strmchsr
05-30-2011, 03:39 PM
First off, I'll send this over to the accommodations forum since you're asking about a resort.

You can find the official resort page for SoG here. (http://www.shadesofgreen.org/)

Also, with such a large group of people it would be a good idea to look into one of the Grand Gatherings.

wdwfansince75
05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
One point is eligibility, and number of rooms....An eligible member and spouse can each reserve up to three rooms...so, unless there are additional eligible members of the group, the maximum amount of rooms would be 6.

If they are eligible, note that SoG does have several packages, but only for their own resturants. SoG guests cannot get the Disney Dining Plan.

While they can use EMH's, Disney transportation, and Grand Gatherings, they cannot use ME, and (at least on our last trip) no longer get free parking at Disney parks.

SoG Customer Relations sells discounted tickets.

We have enjoyed all of our SoG stays...service is great, and the rooms are the largest on site. We recommend the new wing (most convenient to garage and transportation).

T-Belle
05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Wdwfansince75 said it all. SOG is a wonderful resort. I don't know how you would fit 40 people in under only 1 persons eligability, as stated above, one person can reserve up to 3 rooms. That being said if they are flying in, the SOG website has a car service on their site that I plan to use on my next trip that you might want to check out. Also, it has been my experience that the website calendar showing dates available has never been accurate. I always call.

spoiledraf
06-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Wdwfansince75
The SOG site says they have a shuttle bus of their own, apparntly not the regular Disney Busses. How regularly do those busses run? I'm not sure how many are actually going but their are 8 brothers and sisters and all have large families. If they all left the resort at the same time, they could fill a bus!

wdwfansince75
06-02-2011, 02:25 PM
SoG usually has 3 park buses...Bus to DHS and bus to Ak each run once an hour...leaves on half hour, and picks up at parks on hour..bus to AK also stops at Blizzard Beach during operating hours.
There is also a bus that runs every half hour to the transportation and ticket center (TTC), to catch the monorail to EPCOT or the Monorail or ferry to MK. I often use the TTC bus, to pick up the normal Disney buses to DHS or AK.
There is usually a fourth bus, that goes to DTD...not sure of the schedule...
The DTD bus also serves Typhoon Lagoon.

With the large family you are talking about, there needs to be more than one service member (or DoD civilian)...With one eligible member, with spouse, max # of rooms is 6...3 for member, and 3 for spouse..

spoiledraf
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
So it's safe to say, plan on lots of travel time. Again, as far as the rooms go, they are already booked. Not sure if some may actually be staying at other resorts. Hey, thanks all, for the info. Anyone else, feel free to chime in with any advice. My friend metioned they could walk to at least one resort. Is that accurate or are they just looking at a map and assuming they can?

T-Belle
06-03-2011, 07:23 AM
My friend metioned they could walk to at least one resort. Is that accurate or are they just looking at a map and assuming they can?

Yes, that's correct. The Poly is only a ten minute walk from SOG. From there they can take the monorail to the MK or TTC.

Ramblingman
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
We have stayed there twice since the renovation. The last time was two weeks ago. I will try to answer any questions you have that have not yet been answered.

Busses run every 20-30 minutes to the TTC. The Poly is just a block away and within walking distance but not really needed with the bus.

As for food at SOG, you have the Garden Gallery that has a breakfast buffet for about $10 per person. It's got all the usual breakfast items from cereal to waffles to eggs to bacon and even an on demand omelet bar. They also serve a fairly nice dinner.

Mangino's Bistro serves a very nice dinner at reasonable prices. We had 5 for dinner with apps and entrees such as lobster bisque, calamari, quesadillas, BBQ ribs, mushroom ravioli, etc plus 5 souvenir mugs for about $150 counting tip and tax. The souvenir mugs are only good at SOG and can be refilled for $1 during your stay.

Evergreen's is a bar/quickservice with fast food by one of the two pools. The only thing is that quick and fast are truly the wrong words to use with this place. Extremely slow service.

There is a Java Cafe coffee cart in a hallway outside the Exchange (store) that sells Starbucks coffee, muffins and fruit. Also, there is a nice little counter place just inside where you wait for the busses that serves great quick breakfast and lunch items.

They have a nice koi pond where you can relax or feed the fish. The massage spa is top notch. The Exchange is a great little store to pick up some souvenirs or forgotten items like aspirin.

I am currently posting a trip report where I am addressing more things about SOG. If you have more questions, fire away!