PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for acne prone skin

E-OR
05-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Any recommendations? My son has very sensitive skin and breaks out easily.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
In our family, we love Aveeno sunscreen. We actually buy the "baby" sunscreen, it is a touch bigger than the regular bottle (for the same price) and both DD and I haven't had any reactions to it.

llamaface
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM
We've gone through Coppertone Waterbabies, Coppertone Kids Continuous Spray, and Aveeno - all of which caused my son to look like he had a chemical burn on his face and a horrible rash everywhere else the lotion/spray went. His face would swell to the point that he could barely open his eyes. We now use Vanicream sunscreen as recommended by our allergist. It's costly though - $14.99 for a 4 oz tube and I had to order it online......
Good luck!

PirateLover
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I tend to use Aveeno, Neutrogena, and in a pinch even Wegmans brand sunscreen with no major problems. The important thing is you always must wash after you wear any kind of sunscreen, and if you're acne prone you should gently exfoliate with a salicylic acid product about 3x a week. Clean thoroughly before exfoliating! The main thing to look for is OIL FREE products.

crazypoohbear
05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
my sons dermatologist recommends the oil free sunscreen. it's a little more costly but you can use it only on the face and chest and regular sunscreen on the rest of the body that isn't prone to acne breakouts.
ALWAYS sunscreen though!

BrerGnat
05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Neutrogena DRY TOUCH sunblock. Amazing stuff...

Use something different for face and neck, though. They make one called Pure & Free Liquid sunblock. This stuff is great for faces. It comes in a small bottle, but a little goes a LONG way.

Tink#64
05-31-2011, 12:16 AM
I agree with BrerGnat, Neutrogena, Ultra Sheer, Dry-Touch Sunblock is awesome! This product is very light, totally non-greasy, absorbs fast leaving no unsightly white glob or mask! The tube says it's water & sweat proof!

Both of my DS's see a dermatologist & have acne prone skin & this is a great product! Regular sunscreen makes their faces breakout like mad! I bought the last tube at Walmart for around $9.00, it's SPF 55, & the tube says "#1 Dermatologits resommended Suncare" - Of course! lol But it works great for us! :thumbsup:

princessjojo
05-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Neutrogena DRY TOUCH sunblock. Amazing stuff...

Use something different for face and neck, though. They make one called Pure & Free Liquid sunblock. This stuff is great for faces. It comes in a small bottle, but a little goes a LONG way.
My younger DS has had a problem with acne since birth, literally. Infant acne that usually last maybe 2wks lasted 5 months and we were warned by our ped. dermatologist that he would have serious acne issues once puberty hit. And we did. We saw the dermatologist early and this is the very thing he recommended. But we do have to wash thoroughly when he comes in to remove any residue and clear the pores of sweat and dirt. I think that's the other half of the key.

E-OR
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to buy the Neutrogena Sunblock right away. We can try it before our trip to see how it works.

magicalmom
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
DD (15) uses the Aveeno product that is an oil-free tinted moisturizer with SPF15 - works well for her, partially because it replaces three products with one, I think.