Plan for the Day:
Magic Kingdom
Crystal Palace for Lunch
O’Hana’s for Dinner

Thursday, May 12, 2011
Plan for the Day:
Boma for Breakfast
Fly Home

When we left the Magic Kingdom yesterday, we headed to the Animal Kingdom bus station. That station is adjacent to the one for the All Stars Resort. I catch site of someone waving at us from the All Star line. There’s the couple we were speaking to the night before who ended up being in the wrong line after Epcot let out. Once they got to the right bus line, they made it home alright and enjoyed their Keys to the Kingdom tour the next morning. Once again, we did not wait overly long for a bus back to our resort.

I forgot to mention that, when we awoke yesterday morning, Gene stepped out on the balcony and discovered that wasps were proceeding to build a nest on the beam that runs along the outside of the balcony railing – just behind the railing and attached the beam. But, there are a number buzzing around the balcony. Gene called to report the intruders and was told that exterminators would be called to deal with the critters. When we got off the elevator in the morning, we noticed a man getting on and suspected he might be the exterminator. As we were walking to the bus stop, we saw a van parked out front that indicated it belonged to Walt Disney pest control. When we returned to the room in the afternoon, the nest that was begun that morning was gone and the only remnants were a couple of dead critters lying on the edge of the balcony in the vicinity of where the nest had been.

Back in the room, I drag out the suitcases and do the bulk of the packing. When that is complete, I had a few minutes so spent the time catching up on my trip report. It was then time to head to the Polynesian for dinner at O’Hana’s. We headed back to the bus stop and waited about 10-15 minutes for a bus to the Magic Kingdom. When we arrived there, we walked over to the boat dock to take the boat over to the Polynesian.

I also forgot to mention that, the last time we were here together, the Grand Floridian/Polynesian boat dock had been moved to an alternate dock location and the area where the Grand Floridian/Polynesian boat dock had been was closed off to access. That was a disappointment as the stone we had purchased years ago (1995) was now in an area that could not be accessed. We were pleased to see that this was, apparently, a temporary situation as the Grand Floridian/Polynesian boat dock is now back where it used to be and we were able to walk a little further down that path to, once again, find our paving stone. Although others near our stone were worn to the point of essentially being unreadable, our stone is still in very good shape and easily read.

It only took a few minutes for the boat to arrive. After a brief stop at the Grand Floridian dock, we were deposited at the Polynesian. The tiki torches were lit and it was a pleasant walk from the dock to the Great Ceremonial Hall. We found a spot to sit in the Tambu Lounge area which overlooked the pathways below and the Magic Kingdom in the distance. I checked in for our 6:35 reservation. We ordered drinks from Dave, the same person who served my daughter and me on our February trip. He remembered us from the Drink Around the Monorail card Carolyn had and said he’d not seen another one since.

We were seated right about our reservation time. As we made our way to the table, we needed to stop for the parade of children going by. We were seated on the far left, rear part of the restaurant – rather close to all the activities such as the coconut races. We were served far too much food though the overall quality of the food was not as good as it was when I dined here in February. Bread was delivered to our table as we were seated but I needed to request butter. Dave found us within the restaurant and we settled our bill with him. The appetizers were excellent. Hot towels were delivered to the table before any of the main foods were delivered. I knew this meant they would be cold before we planned to use them. The pork was good as was the chicken. The steak was less so and the shrimp were definitely overcooked and not as tender as they should be. We needed to request additional hot towels (as I suspected) as the ones delivered to our table earlier were, indeed, cold. The new ones, however, were so hot as to be barely touchable. The server we had in February seemed to have got it right, delivering them at a time that was near to when they would be needed so they wouldn’t be overly hot but wouldn’t be cold either. Apparently, this server has not developed that knack though she was pleasant enough and brought us what was needed when asked. The dessert was very good, so, overall, this meal would receive mixed marks.

It was around 8 when we finished our meal so we settled ourselves in Tambu lounge. Dave was again our server. We ordered drinks and indicated we would want to settle our tab and get to-go drinks around 8:45. Dave was prompt with our requests and we took our to-go cups out the point to watch Wishes. There were other folks there but, it was by no means, crowded. The Electrical Water Pageant approached right at the same time that Wishes began to go off. Therefore, the Electrical Water Pageant occurred simultaneously with Wishes. However, something seemed to be wrong with the sound track for the Electrical Water Pageant. The first few strains of the music began and then cut completely out. The remainder of the Pageant was conducted in complete silence. The Electrical Water Pageant finished and moved on (still silent).

Wishes had not yet ended so we finished watching that. Watching from the Point is similar to watching from Main Street. Yes, you only hear snatches of the music from here. However, the perspective of the fireworks behind the Castle is nearly perfect from this location.

After the Wishes finale, we walked through the tiki lit pathways back to the Great Ceremonial Hall. We made our way upstairs and out to the monorail platform. We only waited a few minutes for a monorail and took that back to the Magic Kingdom station. The Magic Kingdom closed tonight at the same time that Wishes went off so everyone was streaming out of the park at this time. There was a very long line at the Animal Kingdom Lodge station. One bus filled up and left. I guess we waited about 10 minutes for another to appear. We made it onto this second bus but needed to stand for the trip home (at least until we got to Kidani Village). On the bus, I heard one woman talking about Kidani Village – saying the bus made two stops – one at Kidani and one at Animal Kingdom and they were associated somehow but she wasn’t sure how.

When we got back to our room, I did some more organizing and rearranging in preparation for our departure in the morning. I used the last bath bomb I had bought the other day and used the jetted tub again – maybe I will turn into a tubbie kind of gal (I doubt it. I have no desire to run out and buy a jetted tub for my home but it is fun to indulge now and then especially when I don’t have to pay extra for the water used and the heat to warm that water!)

There were absolutely no animals out on the Savannah when we got home last evening.
I set my phone to provide a 6:30 a.m. alarm. Sleep was fitful for both of us. Still, it felt like that 6:30 a.m. alarm came far too early. We arose, dressed, and finished most of the packing. There are a few things I want to keep in the safe until after breakfast.

Around 7:30/7:45, we head downstairs with our checked bags. We stop in at the Airline resort check-in desk, deposit our checked bags there and get our boarding passes. I thought our reservations at Boma were for 8:30 but, now that I’m looking at our itinerary, I realize we were actually late for breakfast. We arrived at 8 and I thought we were early but we were ½ hour late. No matter, the restaurant was only about ½ full and we were seated almost immediately. To be honest, I don’t think either of us were terribly hungry but we have a noon flight which won’t land in Boston until 3 so it’ll be a while until our next meal. We did eat a full breakfast. Our server forgot to return my Tables in Wonderland card and I had to ask him for it. Although I probably don’t need it any more, it’s still active and I didn’t want to leave it behind. He then pointed out that he had forgotten to return the room key/dining card to the party of folks who were seated next to us who had already left the restaurant. I hope that wasn’t also their park pass as they will be quite unhappy when they arrive at the park and find they are short a pass!

After breakfast, we return to our room and finish up our carry on packing. There are still absolutely no animals on the Savannah but now I suspect I know why. A couple of days ago, we had a message on our phone saying they would be power washing the building yesterday. We did not see any evidence of this occurring yesterday but as I sit here doing these notes, I have become aware that they are, in fact, power washing the back of this building right now.

It’s almost time for us to head out to meet our ride back to the airport so I’ll close off for now….

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

T-Belle
05-30-2011, 08:47 AM
I've really enjoyed your reports!!! Thanks for taking us along!

DizNee143
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
what a great last day..but its always sad leaving..i hate departure day

mouseketeer mom
05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi LInda! I'm sad to have your report ending, I'm enjoying it so much. About the Electrical Water Parade..its been our experience that the times that the EWP is in front of the Poly, and Wishes starts running, they cut the sound to the parade so folks can hear the Wishes music piped in on the beach. Nothing is wrong with the parade soundtrack, it is intentional. Its odd though, to have them both going on at once. Talk about stimulation!!! But that silent EWP occurs each time its running along with Wishes in front of the Poly.

RedSoxFan
05-30-2011, 09:32 PM
A very nice last day.:mickey:

princessgirls
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
A lovely evening Linda...sans the packing! I loathe packing!!!!

Glad your Merrie May Travels were excellent!!!

Thanks for all of the great reports!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Great service with pest control being johnny-on-the-spot at AKL. That's one thing that I have a low tolerance for - wasps! Especially when you want to use your balcony!

It sounds like service was a mixed bag at Ohana, which I'm sorry to hear. At least you were seated close to your ADR time.

Noooooo! Not the dreading packing! :( It always seems to take me way longer than I hope it will, even though we're usually pretty organized. I'm sorry that your trip is coming to an end, Linda!

Suz36
05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
The dreaded packing - yuck! But another nice day and two nice meals to finish your trip. I was sorry we missed the opportunity to have breakfast at Boma when we stayed there - we've only ever done dinner.

yjgirl32
06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you so much for sharing- I know only have 12 more days till I leave for a short Disney stay and am super excited.

vizsla
06-02-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the report.

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I absolutely love the Poly ... especially at night, when it is at its most beautiful! The night before getting up to leave is a fitful one for sure.

DisneyorBust
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the report! It seems that 'Ohana's has been hit or miss concerning the quality. Luckily for us, the quality was fine when we last dined there.
Sorry to read that your trip is coming to an end, departure day is sad indeed.

Mackflava99
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Nice report,

Too bad they didn't send "Billy the exterminator" for your wasps...

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the report

brian2000boston
06-25-2011, 09:04 AM
what a great trip, sad that its over.

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
So sad to see your trip coming to an end. I've enjoyed your reports so much.

darthmacho
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Bummer, no animals on the final night? That would have been a big disappointment for me.

Still a great finish with the Ohana's dinner. Too bad also about the sound going out on the EWP.

Thanks for sharing.

January-2007
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks for reporting.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh, the dreaded last few moments....