PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance?

Disdad13
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Not sure where to post this, but guess the moderator will redirect it if this isn't the right place.

Just curious as to how many of you purchase trip insurance when you book your vacations? We usually go in September, which is also hurricane season, so we usually go ahead and purchase it. But I was curious as to what others do, and why they do or do not purchase insurance.

McLiberal8
05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I have never purchased it. I have never had a problem. I am usually on a strict budget, so can't afford the extra cash to shell out, but I guess it only takes that one time!

disneymom15
05-26-2011, 02:13 PM
We've never purchased trip insurance either. Never felt the need for it.

Dulcee
05-26-2011, 03:20 PM
We never purchase it....probably because the world would have to end before we'd forgo our trip :mickey:

Strmchsr
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I have and have been glad of it. The night before one of our trips DW's grandfather had a massive heart attack and we had to cancel the trip. Saved us a ton of money in the long run. Insurance is always worth it when you need it and we gripe about it when we don't.

sassafras
05-26-2011, 05:16 PM
We used to buy it when our parents were elderly and still alive, "just in case". We haven't purchased it since.

gerald72
05-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I never purchase it. I use that money for park hoppers or water parks or some add on.
You'll get most if not all of your money back anyway without insurance.

Zippy 1
05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
We always buy trip insurance for any trip we take. It is a small price for peace of mind if anything should come up and we need to change our plans. We have only had to use it once and it was the best money spent to save us a great deal of money!!!!!!:mickey:

RedSoxFan
05-26-2011, 07:31 PM
We've always bought trip insurance for our Disney trips.

dismommy
05-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I've always purchased trip insurance I have been in and out of the hospital the last couple of years and my DS is chronically sick so you never know what could happen that might make us cancel at the last minute. Also, on one of the trips i had doctors on call come to the room to see DS for a fever and the trip insurance covered the $400 expense.

kakn7294
05-26-2011, 10:57 PM
We've done both but most recently, we have not purchased it but we also have been going room-only so we wouldn't be out the money until right before or during the trip. I guess if we ever need it we'd wish we had it though!

Genie1953
05-27-2011, 01:48 AM
We did not purchase it before but did purchase it when we went last year. My father in law is getting up in years and we had a 10 night/11 day trip and wanted to make sure we wouldn't lose any money if something came up.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-27-2011, 08:03 AM
We've always purchased but never had to use it...just feel its better safe than sorry

brivers222
05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
where does one purchase trip insurance

DisneyFr33k
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I have and have been glad of it. The night before one of our trips DW's grandfather had a massive heart attack and we had to cancel the trip. Saved us a ton of money in the long run. Insurance is always worth it when you need it and we gripe about it when we don't.

This is why we ALWAYS purchase insurance! Through our travel agency, it is a little over $100 and worth the piece of mind if something came up like this, we would get back the thousands of dollars we put in.

Like mother always says "it's better to be safe than sorry!" :thumbsup:

Disdad13
05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
where does one purchase trip insurance

You have options. If you book thru Magical Journeys, you can purchase it thru them. It's about $69 per adult. We have also purchased it independently - just do a search online for trip insurance. I think we paid about the same doing it that way. Of course, it depends on how extensive you want the insurance to be. But to just cover the basics "in case something comes up", you are probably looking at about $70 per person. We have always purchased it as a "peace of mind" thing, but wondered what others did. Interesting to see what the rest of you do and think about it!

SandmanGStefani24
05-27-2011, 10:03 PM
only bought it once, and wouldnt you know that was the one time i needed it!

we got held over in dfw (imagine, that lol) and lost a night at the resort, and also had to pay for a nights hotel. thankfully it covered the expenses and paid for itself.

though havent bought it since, and have also stopped flying anything but direct flights to MCO.

DonLefNY
05-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I only buy trip insurance for cruises.

TheVBs
05-28-2011, 03:12 PM
We bought it through Disney the first couple of times we booked a trip, but not since. We've thankfully never needed it so we save the money and I feel there's a very decent window for cancelling should something come up.

ElenitaB
05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I have trip insurance through the credit card I use to book my flights. I had to use it in '08 when our flight to Florida was cancelled due to a snowstorm. Unfortunately, since I didn't have insurance through Disney, we lost out on one night's worth of DVC points.

We also had cruise insurance in '05 when I was unable to go due to a series of unexpected hospitalizations. I actually didn't tap into the insurance because it was one more thing that I needed to do (and frankly, I was pretty overwhelmed by everything else at that point in time). As it turns out, I was able to reschedule our flights and cruise (at a cost, of course).

A word of advice: if anyone in your travelling party has a chronic medical condition that may be cause for concern, don't use "standard" insurance (such as what Disney sells). You'll need a different kind of policy. The ladies at MJ will be able to advise you.