PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic or Illuminations?

Snow's Mom
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
With three small kids in our crew this time, I'm only planning one "late" night, the night before we leave. Illuminations or Fantasmic? I was leaning toward Fantasmic, until I saw we might have to wait in line two hours. We're going the first week in June, AFTER Star Wars weekend, so the crowds aren't supposed to be awful.

We might be able to work in Wishes earlier in the week, so that's not in the running here.

What's the wait time at Fantasmic? First of two shows?

disneymomma2010
05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Definately illuminations. Fantasmic is great but it can really scare little children. It is about mickey fighting alot of disney's villians and it usually scares mine to death! And yes you can stand in line for quite a while. You can also get pretty wet. I love fantasmic but if you have to choose between the two and have small children that is what I would pick.:thumbsup:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Fantasmic is better than Illuminations! I would go to the second show if available and arrive 50 minutes before. If not, I would say at least an hour wait for the first show.

JasonH
05-26-2011, 03:31 AM
I prefer Fantasmic! myself simply b/c you get to see so many of the Disney characters that we've seen through the years. And yes you can get wet, but only if you're in one of the first few rows out of like 20 or so that are available in each section. I believe they even let you know which are designated the "wet" seats. If there are 2 shows in a single night, the first show tends to be the most crowded and typically has the longest line out of the 2, so it is best to try and see the second show instead. And like Reedy suggested, about an hour before the show starts should suffice to find yourself a decent to good seat. Otherwise, if you go to the first show, normally it is advised among us veterans to arrive in line in excess of an hour ahead of time (moreso 90 min or more before show start :( ).

Now b/c of the villian scenes that are in the show, it can be a little scary to some young ones, but most are pretty well reminiscent of the same scenes you would find in any of the animated movies. But of course, good wins out in the end and there is a spectacular finish to it all. :mickey:

If after all that you are still hesitant about the show, then Illuminations would be the safer bet as it is just music, fireworks, fountains, lasers and many lights including the Earth movie globe. However if you're wanting to sit while watching it and you don't want an obstructed view, it is best to scope out a spot ahead of time and even then, the best spots can be taken up an hour (or sometimes even more) ahead of time of Illuminations. Otherwise you might be standing to be able to see the show. So also consider that with your little ones.

All in all, the ultimate decision is yours as there are pros and cons to both shows. Both are spectacular and memorable in their own rights. But hopefully with the info it'll help out on which to choose. :)

Dulcee
05-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Go to EPCOT without seeing Illuminations? That's just not a possibility in my book.

Also, Illuminations requires less wait time, is a quicker show, thus shorter attention spans will be held and doesn't require keeping three small kids in seats while you wait, and wait, and wait for fantasmic to begin.

Just my two cents...

brownie
05-26-2011, 07:26 AM
I'd personally lean towards Illuminations. If there's one you haven't seen, I'd consider seeing that. You might also let the family decide.

Tygger7
05-26-2011, 07:44 AM
My vote is Illuminations, especially considering you have 3 little ones. The first show for Fantasmic is PACKED, and trying to keep small children up through the second show would be pretty difficult, imho. As others have mentioned, there are some scary moments/effects in Fantasmic which could be upsetting to young children. (If your kids have watched Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, & Aladdin and were okay with the villian scenes, they would do fine at Fantasmic.) But, I know that fireworks can really freak some kids out and Fantasmic doesn't really have any fireworks to speak of, just flames & some sparkle (ie roman candle) effects.

Waiting for Illuminations is much easier...even when it's just me & my DH, we stake out a place along the World Showcase lake a couple of hours in advance. Then, if either of us needs to hit the rr, or needs to stretch, the other can stay in our spot without any problem.

Again, just my two cents...if you've never been to either show, maybe check out videos on YouTube....then you can make a decision based on what will work best for your kids.

Good luck!!:mickey:

Melanie
05-26-2011, 07:58 AM
You're obviously going to get many opinions for one or the other here.

I'd go with Fantasmic! For little ones, Illuminations could be boring. It bores me at 41. ;)

Either choice, there is going to be waiting involved. At Fantasmic!, get in line 60-90 minutes before showtime, get your seat, then you can get a snack, take some potty breaks, etc. to wait the time out. It seems to go quickly.

2Epcot
05-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I would agree with Melanie. I think Fantasmic would be more interesting for children, than Illuminiations.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Illuminations....there is a possibility Fantasmic would scare your children not to mention standing in line with them

AgentC
05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I am on the fence on this one. I personally prefer Fantasmic. I think it is a more interesting show. It does have the potential to be scary, but I have hard better luck with my kids at Fantasmic than Illuminations.

Both of my children found the Illuminations fireworks to be too loud. I have had to exit the park with screaming children at Illuminations more than once.

When we were there last week, my daughter (3) remember the show from our last visit and asked to leave the park before the fireworks started.

If your children do not mind loud noises, this may not be a factor.

KylesMom
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
We're going the first week in June, AFTER Star Wars weekend, so the crowds aren't supposed to be awful. What's the wait time at Fantasmic? First of two shows?

I know that you aren't expecting awful crowds, but since they have gone to limited showings of Fantasmic, crowds are pretty ridiculous for Fantasmic - at least, that's been our experience each summer since they went to the limited schedule. You would probably experience SRO if you weren't in the line 90 minutes before show time. 60 minutes might get you in, but I wouldn't chance it.

That being said, I think everyone in my family would agree that Fantasmic is, and will always be, favored over Illuminations. We always make time to see both each trip, however.

Fantasmic has all of our favorite Disney characters (including scary Villains), but Illuminations reminds us of the Parade of Dreams and our first visit to Disney in 2000 with DS and dancing puppets.

If the lines for Fantasmic are of great concern and the Fantasmic Dinner Packages are sold out (H&V may be good for you & you only need to report to the seating area 45 minutes before showtime without standing in the long line), I think I would have to go with Illuminations.

linedropper
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I would say fantasmic, Never waited in the line, always did it as a dinner combo. But much better for the kids even with the villans and such. My DD loved the princesses on the steamboat.

Steve:mickey:

SelfmadeWade
05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
AMEN to Melanie.

I, too, find the current version of Illuminations BORING - the original version was much better.

But for both Illuminations and Fantasmic, for any decent viewing, you will have to arrive early and wait - however with Fantasmic, you will have actual seats - which makes waiting easier and you cannot be ambushed by late arrivals who manage to squeeze in front of you at the last minute as often happens with Illuminations.

If the little ones being frightened is a concern - then don't see either! I say this half-jokingly because the "scare" element of both is so small that it's not a real issue in my opinion. I know that many people on here warn about the villains and the fireworks noise- and I understand their desire to help - but I think the children who are truly scared by the Disney version of these elements are EXTREME exceptions - so dont let that stop you from taking your kids. Believe me, if anything scared the average kid regularly, it would have been removed from the show years ago by Disny. Disney is not in the business of scaring kids. But again, if you have the super-sensitive kids, then don't go at all.

Snow's Mom
05-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Some good points. I'll ask their mom if fireworks are a problem. My older kids want to see Fantasmic. I've seen both.

Personally, I prefer Illuminations with the fireworks and music, but maybe that's because the thought of SRO at the end of a long day is the SCARIEST THING OF ALL!

KatrinaJ91
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
My vote is for Fantasmic! I agree, Illuminations is a little boring....especially for little ones. My kids thought it was ok but they absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! We go every time we are there and don't even bother with Illuminations anymore. It is not scary....the kids love seeing all the characters they have grown to love through the movies and it is so much more relevant to them!
We rarely go more than 30 minutes prior to start time and get decent seats....you don't have to be close to enjoy the show! We have sat in the upper corner and still enjoyed it!
Usually we do the Fantasmic Dinner & Show tickets so you don't HAVE to worry about getting there early!!

Melanie
05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Personally, I prefer Illuminations with the fireworks and music, but maybe that's because the thought of SRO at the end of a long day is the SCARIEST THING OF ALL!

If you are there 90 minutes before showtime, you should be set for a guaranteed seat, and if you are truly worried, everyone's suggestion of the Fantasmic! dining package is a great one.

EpcotFan182
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Illuminations all the way! Fantasmic has the potential to scare some children, and I do remember the wait time to get into the arena to be long. Overall I think Illuminations is a better show, and highly recommend it!