PDA

View Full Version : Special surprise for special needs 21st birthday. suggestions

spoiledraf
05-25-2011, 09:46 PM
We'll be visiting the World with my niece who has CP and has been in a wheelchair all her life. We'll be celebrating her 21st birthday while we are there and I would love to come up with something special to make her trip memorable. the typical 21st birthday beverages are out because she is not ready for such things, and she shys away from the characters a bit as well. She is also not real fond of the fireworks as loud noises tend to startle her uqite a bit. Having set all those peramiters, feel free to make suggestions. She is a sweet young thing with a smile on her face for every occasion who deserves to know how much we love her. As handicapped accessable as Disney is, there are still a lot of things she would love to do but can't. Help me out folks.

ps. I didn't put this on the special needs thread as it gets so little action.

DisneyaHolic
05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
You might try [link removed per terms of service]I have used them several times, and they are just wonderful at brainstorming with you for special surprises. On my honeymoon I hired them, and they followed us around for two hours, taking secret photos (my new husband didn't know they were there). They revealed themselves at the wishing well, and then did another hour of photos with us at our resort.

Another time she created a surprise for my husband and daughter during Muppets where she created a cannonball full of gifts that she dropped in their laps during the cannonball scene in the show. (My husband and daughter didn't realize they were sitting behine us!)

I know that she had done tons of different surprises, so she might have suggestions.

faline
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Perhaps a gift from Disney Florist? A private dinner on a balcony? Perhaps you could arrange such a dinner on one of the balconies at Animal Kingdom Lodge where animals were in view so that you didn't need to deal with the noise from fireworks.

Although you indicate that you believe that the forum for folks with special needs does not get much traffic, it actually is a very active forum so I'm going to move this over there for additional thoughts.

cuteduck223
05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
what about a fireworks cruise? that would eliminate a lot of the noise from the fireworks. It would be a great way to celebrate and experience the fireworks without the giant crowd and noises. Most cruises pipe the music in, so you don't miss anything, and you can tell the captain about celebrating a birthday!

McLiberal8
05-27-2011, 04:02 PM
There is always 'Characters In Flight', the hot-air balloon ride at DTD. i am considering making the ride when I am down there, in September. Looks like a lot of fun!

spoiledraf
05-27-2011, 09:53 PM
what about a fireworks cruise? that would eliminate a lot of the noise from the fireworks. It would be a great way to celebrate and experience the fireworks without the giant crowd and noises. Most cruises pipe the music in, so you don't miss anything, and you can tell the captain about celebrating a birthday!

Are the boats wheel chair accessable? and there are 7 in the group. But thats a thought.:thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
05-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe tea at the Grand Floridian?
Or rent a pontoon boat? I read on other board that they are wheelchair accessible.

ElenitaB
05-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I know that the larger pontoon boats are ECV accessible, so they would also be wheelchair accessible.

I also would suggest Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian's Garden View Tea Room. It's a quiet experience at which you can take all the time you want. You could even special order a birthday cake if you wish though it would be like bringing coal to Newcastle.

Another option — if you want fireworks as part of the mix — would be California Grill. There's no guarantee that you would be seated at a table next to the window, but I would call to make the ADR and note the occasion and the circumstances. Some pixie dust might fall your way. You could special order a cake for this restaurant as well.

spoiledraf
05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
We have done CG a couple times for fireworks. Another good suggetion. But I would guess with an August trip, odds are pretty slim for getting anything around the time for fireworks.