PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha vs. OHana

lynnek
05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
We thought maybe we'd see Spirit of Aloha during our trip in November. After reading the reviews from all of you last week, I was thinking maybe not so much.....DH is still thinking he'd like it to see it (as previously noted, a favorite movie of his is the Elvis in Hawaii thing) I am approaching the planning of our second trip to WDW with much more input from the kids and DH--last fall they all just showed up. So now we have a friendly battle going. Me, with OHana on one side--we did go there last trip, liked it, DS and DH loved dessert, my husband on the other side--let's experience a new approach to the South Pacific(or rather old approach). He's taking the kids to Elvis Festival next weekend--get them in the mood he says.
So I made the OHana Bread Pudding with Banana Fosters Sauce tonite:) Thank you Intercot! (There is a typo in the recipe--I think it it says 1-1/2 tsp cups sugar in the bread pudding. Also, made the sauce with no rum, added some extra vanilla, no flambe--consistency was fine) Let it slip that we hadn't scheduled in OHana, but it would fit instead of Spirit of Aloha. Oops! Hopefully DH doesn't find out drinks are served in coconuts or something because right now, he has no chance!

faline
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
If you've never done the Spirit of Aloha Show and have never been to a luau, it might be worth a one-time visit.

I went to O'Hana's on my last two trips (February with daughter) and May (with husband). Loved it in February! Food was excellent. Got a mediocre rating from me for our May trip. Appetizers and dessert were excellent. Shrimp was overdone. Other meats were okay. The difference may have been that we had an early seating when my daughter and I went so foods did not have a chance to overcook.

Keep this in mind if you're going with kids. (We didn't have kids with us so did not participate in the various goings on at O'Hana's) The table next to us in May had a family of five which included three little girls. Mom never got a chance to eat. The girls didn't eat much either. Either mom was up with the girls helping them participate in the coconut races etc. or mom was taking them to the restroom. Every time I glanced over, dad was sitting at the table all by himself eating. It appears he was the only one who got to enjoy the meal. My husband said he saw them leaving with a large bag full of "leftover" food from the meal. At Spirit of Aloha, there are far fewer disruptions that allow everyone to have time to actually eat.

mouseketeer mom
05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
We have done Ohana's about 20 times in our travels, and the Luau three times. We love the Hawaiian theming with both, like your husband!! We are big Polynesian fans., Period.
The two experiences are very different. One is a very active restaurant, one is a show. Food and dessert are different at both places. I would even do both in one trip if DH loves it that much. If you have to choose one, I would choose the Luau. They actually dance to Elvis'
Rock a Hula song in it. Your DH would be in his glory!!!

lynnek
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Linda:Our one past experience with OHana was that very thing--up and down for DD1. This year she thinks it would be fun to do with DD2, now that she is 3. DD1 really had fun but not really sure how much she ate! I found the food good, not great and am not that big of a fan of bread pudding (yes, theirs was way different than most)
Lisa:thanks for the input--you just gave DH some ammunition in our friendly battle:)

We do have Kona scheduled for breakfast and dinner (some menu items look similar to Ohana) and are staying at the Poly. I think I'll let this play out with DH, the kids are enjoying this! The 2 credit vs 1 credit is on my side, but we are on the deluxe dining so have enough credits. Mainly doing signature for dinners, so one night of crazy I can handle!

princessgirls
05-26-2011, 01:30 PM
The Luau is a nice dinner/show!

DH and I honeymooned in Hawaii, and loved the luau's we went to there, and DH surprised me with that dinner one night. I was on :cloud9:...

The food we experienced at the luau was good and plentiful, and not overpriced considering you got a dinner and show!!!

Love O'hana's too...the food, the atmosphere, it is a must do on our vacation!

Julie:mickey:

brivers222
05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
We thought maybe we'd see Spirit of Aloha during our trip in November. After reading the reviews from all of you last week, I was thinking maybe not so much.....DH is still thinking he'd like it to see it (as previously noted, a favorite movie of his is the Elvis in Hawaii thing)

I know i am one that is very vocal about not liking the SoA dinner show, the "new" show in comparision to the way the show used to be... but seeing how you appear to never have gone before, i would strongly suggest you give it a try. To each their own right? I have never been to Ohana dinner but am going to try it this year... so that comparison is N/A for me. Usually its between the two dinner shows (SoA and HDDMR) and I feel HDDMR is far superior in every aspect.

Definetly give it a shot because if you have never seen the older version you have nothing to compare it too and might make this experience a better one :)