View Full Version : Our Savannah Trip to Remember Part 1

Joannelet
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Our Safari
Me: Joanne 34
My DH: 35
My DS: 2

May 2, 2011
We left our abode and doggie early in the morning as we were driving down to Disney from NJ. (the usual as I am not a good flyer).
I had dressed our 2 year old in light clothes the night before so that I didn't have to dress him later on in the car. Our overnight bags were up front with us while the rest of our vacation luggage was in the back. We woke up to the news that Osama was done so we had that to occupy us for the morning hours on the radio....Eventually I had to shut the radio as I'm sure many of you turned your thoughts to that day in Sept. that it all began...and well I was on my way to Disney and didn't want to be sad the entire day. Our first stop was in Maryland where we got my son some breakfast and my hubby and I got some Starbucks. Then back into the car we went. I packed a bunch of activities for my 2 year old to do in the car with me so during the awake hours of his schedule I sat in the back of the van with him. My son is wonderful in the car and should get an award with how wonderful he is with the long drive. This is his 3rd trip driving to the world like this. Everytime he is a blessing.

We stopped for Lunch and a few more bathroom breaks to stretch etc. We stopped at the Mariott in South Carolina for the evening. We have stayed here before and I love the area because there are stores right across the street. I wanted to go to the Target there as they are the only ones that carry CARS table top mats which my son loves for when we eat at restaurants. I went and I was glad to have found them again. We then walked over to Barnes and Noble to have my son play on the train table there and we just relaxed. Ate dinner at the IHOP there and then off to bed.

Tues May 3rd
Next morning we were in the car again by 6am. Hubby bought his iced coffee the night before at barnes and noble and stored it in the hotel fridge so he was ready to go. Fed my son some breakfast in the car. We wanted to make good time for our arrival as I had 5:15 ressies at Ohana's and this was a restaurant we had been trying to get in for a LOOOOOOOOOng time and never could on any past trips....This time we had it and I wasn't going to miss it for anything!
Pulled into AKL-Jambo house at 2:30!!! WE ARE HERE!!!!
I don't even know if I can put it into words how wonderful this hotel was......It was GORGEOUS!!! Beyond our expectations. Within seconds my son had stickers galore. Our room wasn't ready so we chatted up with the cast member that was there at the DVC counter. We are DVC members and were staying on points this trip. First time at AKL. My hubby and him had a great conversation about sports. (my hubby is a sports fanatic). Roamed the hotel a bit...my son LOVED walking around. He was so excited to be there and to be out of the car! He loved the firepit in the lobby. Did I mention how gorgeous this place is!!!????
I bought my annual pass as we were waiting too. So we had our keys to the room (no room number yet), our dining plan was already on the keys as well and then I purchased my annual pass. My hubby already had an annual pass as he was already there in Jan. for the marathon. Right before we left we found out that we are going again in October of this year for my Dad's 70th birthday so my hubby was definitely getting his money's worth on going 3 times on his annual pass so I thought with all the days we are there for now and the return trip in Oct. it was worth it. My hubby was jealous as my pass was an actual card (looked like a hotel key) and his is literally a piece of paper. The only problem I had with it was when I was presenting it for a discount at merchandise stores none of the cast members recognized it and thought it was my room key. I had to point out the words ANNUAL pass on it frequently. Other than that I was happy it's a card. I could see me losing a piece of paper. My hubby is much better with that kind of thing.
Rest of the day will follow :)

faline
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Good start to your trip!

We were there at the same time - arrived Jambo House on the 2nd of May!

Joannelet
05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
We met a lot of great families that week!! :) I did meet a few from Mass! That would have been hilarious if it was you! Such a small world in Disney isn't it?! LOL

faline
05-25-2011, 01:14 PM
It certainly is!

KylesMom
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Glad your arrival was a safe one and you're loving the resort. Can't wait to read about your long-awaited experience at Ohana! :mickey:

artyboy
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the report!

Were you staying in the hotel or in a DVC villa?

I'm heading to Disney in 5 days (6nights Doubletree Downtown Disney/6 nights OKW) so I'm super excited and your reports are keeping me sane at work...Thanks again!

Joannelet
05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
We stayed in the Jambo house in a 1 bedroom villa. It is hands down our favorite hotel thus far.
Have fun on your trip!! I love reading trip reports when I'm not there too. I know how you feel!

mouseketeer mom
05-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Sounds like the ride down was uneventful!! Your son sounds like a travelling trooper. Your accomodations sound like they exceeded your expectations, and so happy you made it on time for your Ohana ADR! Thats our FAVORITE!!

princessgirls
05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Smooth traveling down to WDW, and a great arrival!

Thanks for sharing. Glad your son is a good traveler...that makes life so much easier!!!

Julie:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Sounds wonderful....what other disney hotels have you stayed at?

Joannelet
05-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Sounds wonderful....what other disney hotels have you stayed at?

Here is my rundown so far :)
I have stayed at Port Orleans Resort Riverside (pre DVC ownership)
Boardwalk Villas
Yacht and Beach Club
Saratoga Springs (my home resort)
Disneyland Hotel in California
and now AKL is added to my list :)
I will also be staying at Swan and Dolphin my next trip in Oct.

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Zawadi
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the report.

A good start to your vacation.

Walking into the lobby of AKL is breathtaking for the first time.

brian2000boston
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
great start, safe trip down. cant wait to read about the rest of your trip.

DizNee143
06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
sounds like a wonderful travel day/s..and getting to the resort!
i have a question..we will be driving down from jersey also in May..the last time we did that we drove straight though..but the hubby wants to stop overnight this time so we all wont be beat..plus we will have our 2 year old daughter with us..where was that marriott you stayed at? was it far off 95? we are thinking of stopping in SC or GA..

Joannelet
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
i have a question..we will be driving down from jersey also in May..the last time we did that we drove straight though..but the hubby wants to stop overnight this time so we all wont be beat..plus we will have our 2 year old daughter with us..where was that marriott you stayed at? was it far off 95? we are thinking of stopping in SC or GA..

It was in Florence, South Carolina right off 95 very close! Barnes and Noble and Target was right across the street and an Ihop, chuck e cheese and nicer restaurant chains in the area. The hotel is on Hospitality Blvd. There are 4 marriot hotels on that road. The one we were in was the Courtyard.

DizNee143
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
It was in Florence, South Carolina right off 95 very close! Barnes and Noble and Target was right across the street and an Ihop, chuck e cheese and nicer restaurant chains in the area. The hotel is on Hospitality Blvd. There are 4 marriot hotels on that road. The one we were in was the Courtyard.

thank you!!! :mickey:

vizsla
06-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the report.