faline
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Monday, May 10, 2011

Who: Gene & Me

Plan for the Day:
Animal Kingdom
Yak & Yeti for Lunch
Rose & Crown for Dinner

When you have a three page itinerary for your trip and you are on page 1 of 3, you know you have plenty of vacation ahead of you and all is good! When you flip over to page 2 of 3, it’s still okay and you need not think about going home yet. However, when you get to page 3 out of 3, you know the end is coming. Your thinking shifts. You begin thinking about the packing to be done, the bags to be checked, what’s left undone and how you are now running out of time. We shifted to page 3 last evening.

We did go to the Magic Kingdom last evening. Once again, it was not a long wait before a bus arrived and delivered us to our destination. I did not bring a bag with me which was a very wise choice. The security lines to get into the Magic Kingdom were the longest we’ve seen so it was nice to be abel to bypass them. We wandered through the Main Street shops. It was now still before 8 p.m. and almost all the curbside spots along Main Street were already occupied. Alrighty then. We found a spot just outside City Hall and held it until the Main Street Electric Parade began – about 80 minutes later. There was a family with three little children behind us and Gene allowed the children to come sit at the curb where he had been standing. As the parade progressed, I became aware of a couple who had been no-where near the front of the crowd behind us, but who had managed to weasel their way through the crowd and were now interfering with others who were also trying to get nice pictures of the parade. Just before the last float came out, the husband indicated he wanted his wife to step in front of the little girls to whom Gene had given his spot and I said no, they were for the girls. The mom of the girls said it was okay as they would be leaving. So were we all after this last float came by so I still said no. If anyone was going back into that spot, it would have been Gene.

After the last float went by, we entered the shops and hung out there for a while and then went out and stood on Main Street around about where the ice cream shop is. I didn’t have my regular eye glasses so I could not distinctly see the photos projected on the Castle but the special effects were pretty amazing! I must be getting older – I like it better when Wishes is at 9 rather than 10. I can walk for fairly long distances but standing in one spot for a significant length of time really bothers my feet. I stood for far too long last night in stationary spots. By time Wishes started, I was a bit uncomfortable so, although the display was lovely as always, I did not enjoy it as much as I might have liked.

When Wishes ended, it did not take us long to head back to the bus stop. A bus came along within five minutes and we were even able to find seats in the very back of the bus. It seemed to take a very long time to get back to Animal Kingdom. At one point, I could see the monorail running along the right hand side of the bus – I’m not sure why as I thought I would surely see it along the left hand side of the bus. Finally, a bit later, I did see the monorail along the left. Finally, we were home but it was after 11. It was midnight before lights were out.

With such a late night, there was no way I was going to get us up out of bed early. In fact, today I began wondering why I had been doing such early get-ups for most of our trip. Yes, I understand you get quite a lot accomplished in the first hour after the park is open but getting in the park early is a real killer if you want to stay later into the evening. I think I will return to our typical style of touring (unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise) which is to get up when we get up regardless of whether it is earlier or a bit later. We still seem to manage to do those things we want to accomplish.

With that said, it is after 9 before we venture out to the bus this morning. Animal Kingdom is just a short journey away. We walk over to Expedition:Everest. The standby line reads 10 minutes but it really is a walk-on and probably took about 5 minutes to be boarded for our ride. From there, we head over to Dinosaur which is also a walk-on. After we are all strapped in, a mother in front of us wants to know if we’ve done the ride before and if there are any significant down-ramps. I say it is rather rough but, no, there are no down-ramps but it is also quite dark and can be a little scary with things that jump out at you. By the end of the ride, her little girl is a bit upset and scared. Think you might check out the ride before you’re strapped in?

We’ve not yet seen the tigers so head to the Maharaja Jungle Trek. We speak with one of the cast members who tells us about some birds that fly at 31,000 feet and will migrate over Mount Everest! That’s pretty amazing given that our plane flew down here at 35,000 feet! She also told us they feature a baby condor in some of the Flights of Wonders shows. Inside the bird sanctuary, we speak with a cast member who tells us about several birds who are currently building nests. Bird B has been stealing nest building materials from Bird A and Bird C has been stealing the nest materials from Bird B! One woman was walking around with a clipboard, a checklist and binoculars. I asked if she was taking an inventory and she said she was. She told us they have more than 200 birds in the enclosure.

It was now time for our lunch so we walked over to Yak & Yeti. We had been here once before but we were not at all impressed so had not returned. This was their opportunity to redeem themselves. We were quickly seated on the second floor – not far from the staircase. This seems to be our week for pot stickers as we started our meal here with the pork pot stickers. Very nice with a wonderful dipping sauce. I have the sweet and sour pork for my meal while Gene selects the sweet and sour chicken. Both are good though different from what I am used to being served at Chinese restaurants back home where sweet and sour meats are coated in a breading of some sort. After having a negative opinion in the past, I would say, this time, that I would return. It would not be at the top of my list of favorites but the food was decent and the service was good.

After lunch, we take in It’s Tough to Be a Bug. It’s quite crowded and we have to shuffle through a line to get there. As is usual for this attraction, we are aware of a number of frightened children in the theater and notice one little girl in tears as we get up to exit. Poor kid!

Time to leave. Clouds are building and it looks like there could possibly be a thunder shower this afternoon. We head to the bus stop and see a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge pull away from the stop as we near. Oh well. We’ll wait for the next one. The next bus arrives within 15 minutes. A young man exits with his t-shirt held up over his nose and mouth. As we enter the bus, we discover why. It literally stinks on this bus! It smells like either diesel fuel or an exhaust leak. Other folks who entered the bus after we did are holding their t-shirts over their nose and mouth. We decide to exit at Kidani Village simply because we don’t want to stay on the bus any longer than we need to.

Exiting at Kidani Village, we head to the desk and complain about the bus (Not the driver who was fine.) and state the bus should be taken out of service – don’t know if they did or not but they certainly sounded like they would report it.

We went to Sa’ana and had a drink in the lounge. The server had only been there two weeks and apparently had not encountered the Tables in Wonderland card before but was able to get it squared away with the assistance of a manager. We then looked around a little bit. Went out to one of the outlooks and found a cute little area with a fireplace and some comfortable seating areas.

When we had complained at the desk about the bus, the person on the desk said we could grab an Animal Kingdom Lodge van outside the door to transport us to Jambo House. Sure enough, when we exited the van was sitting there. The driver had gone indoors briefly but quickly reappeared and brought us home again.

It’s a little after 3:30 p.m. We’ve decided not to head to the pool today so are hanging out in our room for a bit before we venture back out of doors.

More to come….

mouseketeer mom
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Ahhhh Linda!! I could feel the pain of turning to the last page of your itinerary!!!!! Awful feeling!!!!
I am enjoying your reports so very much. I love all the detail.
And the parade anguish! Those sneaky folks that manage their way to the front even though you've been securing the spot for what seems like days!! Major dislike!!!
I also feel your ambivalence about those early days...makes for some rough nights which you're almost about to collapse cause you've been up for 15 hours already!!

lettripp
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I find myself checking back every few hours to see if you've posted an update! These are FANTASTIC reports :mickey:

DizNee143
05-24-2011, 08:51 PM
gotta love those people who always try to weasel there way up front..they aggravate me soo much!
besides that..and your feet hurting sounds like it was a nice night..and then a nice day so far at AK..:mickey:

yjgirl32
05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear your nearing the end of your stay which also means your reports will end and I am enjoying them very much. Thanks for sharing.

princessgirls
05-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Linda,

People can be annoying...trying to push their way to a parade, that they just arrived for in time for it to start. Got to love that!!!

I hear you about vacations going by way too fast...on a typical Saturday-Saturday vacation, I always felt that once Tuesday was done, the vacation was almost over. SLOW IT DOWN...PLEASE!! We work so hard, and run hard, so I really do want to breathe in all the play time!

Love your reports Linda. You and Gene are truly having a magical vacation!
Julie:mickey:

Suz36
05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh no, we're nearing the end of the trip - I hate that feeling!

As much as I love the parades, I do hate dealing with the crowds - especially people like those you described!

I agree with your take on the Castle photo show - the pictures were very difficult to make out, but the special effects were awesome! I was very impressed. Sorry to hear your feet were bothering you! Disney can do a number on anyone in that regards.

I'm amazed at the up and down crowds that you are encountering.

Thanks for another great report!

RedSoxFan
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Seems like I always run into rude people at parades too. Nice day at AK.

KylesMom
05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
However, when you get to page 3 out of 3, you know the end is coming. Your thinking shifts. You begin thinking about the packing to be done, the bags to be checked, what’s left undone and how you are now running out of time. We shifted to page 3 last evening. Oh, no! We're to that point already? :(

Your experience with the parade "jumpers" the evening before is sadly why we don't try to claim a spot any longer. I'd rather watch MSEP from afar to avoid all the unpleasantness that Disney's parades bring at the end of the day.

You had a great visit to AK today. Glad you enjoyed your lunch at Y&Y. Hopefully the weather will continue to cooperate for you this evening! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the reports...I love your attention to detail

vizsla
05-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Wonderful reports! I agree with you 100% regarding the 'parade line crashers', I can't believe the nerve that some people exhibit. I hold our space as well. I'm sorry to read that you two have reached the last page of your itinerary, never a good feeling when you can see the end of your trip looming in the horizon.

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Sorry 'bout the bus! That stinks! ;) Another good day, though AK is pretty low on our to do list. I do love the different trails and getting to speak to the cast members. Good for you speaking up to the pushy parade people too!

brian2000boston
06-25-2011, 08:24 AM
great day even with a stinky bus and stinky couple at the parade

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Oh boy I totally feel your pain about the trip coming to an end. Our trips are typically for 9 nights so at the start of our trips it often feels like we've got "all the time in the world". As soon as the half way point comes I start to feel like you, thinking about the packing, what we haven't done yet, that we'll be leaving our special place soon.

We used to set the wake up calls every day and be at the parks 30 minutes before opening. Over time we've fallen into a differnt pattern that works much better for us. We find that even entering the parks 30 minutes after park opening is a much more pleasant way to start the day. I'm not at all into the "cattle drive" at rope drop! We still find a way to do every attraction we want, even on the days we sleep late, spend most of the day at the pool and head to the parks around dinner time. It still all gets accomplished!

Can't wait to read more!

darthmacho
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Love the report on AK. Yak and Yeti was one of the highlights of our last trip, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next time. Glad you had a better experience there this time, even if it is not your favorite.

Too bad you missed the tigers and had to endure a stinky bus.

Good to see you spending time at the home resort, especially since I imagine staying at AKL must be a nice treat. :mickey:

January-2007
07-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
thanks for letting me live vicariously through your reports!