PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Disneyland Trip Report

Imagineer1981
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Finally after several trips to Hong Kong and China, I was able to go to Hong Kong Disneyland, just in time for their 5th anniversary. Here is my trip report for my one day adventure, and really thats all you need. The best part is, since its in Hong Kong, everything is in English and some attractions offer both Engilsh and Chinese version.

Getting to Hong Kong DL is actually quite easy. It is very near the airport and they have a dedicated subway/tram system that runs right to the park with its own station. The train has mickey shaped windows and hand grips and is nicely carpeted and plush seats. When you arrive you are dropped at the train station outside ofthe park. Its a beautiful structure with and looks like a classic train depot. After going up several flights of stairs you walk down a long wide pathway, under a welcome sign to Hong Kong DL. At the end of the path is a huge fountain, with statures of the fab 5 in different situations, Donald on top of his boat Jack sparrow style as it sinks, Mickey surfing on top of a whale's blow hole, etc. Very nicely done. Then just past that is main entrance and bag check, just like the parks at home. The Train station looks very similar to DL's version, and of course they have the Mickey face made of flowers. Once you pass under the station, Mainstreet USA is there, but a little different then DL or WDW. To the right hand side is the Art of Animation Academy and on the left is Town Hall and the fire station. Going up Mainstreet, the Emporium is on the left, and some smaller shops on the right, but Mainstreet really didn't seem the same. They had an equal amount of buildings, but the side alley streets where you could buy an icecream cone at DL/Lockers, or get a portrait done at WDW, were missing, it was just a straight street. At the end of the street was the hub, but instead of the partners stature, there was a sorceror Mickey stature with pixie dust all around him (could be because of the 5th anniversary?). Then directly ahead was Sleeping Beauty castle with a HUGE mountain/hill rising way above it in the distance. You really felt like you were surrounded by the hills/mountains of China while in the park. The castle was small, maybe a little bigger then DL's version but no Cinderella's castle at WDW. From there the "lands" were all different, and very small.

Tomorrowland- Astro orbitor hits you right in the face, as soon as you enter the land, no long bridge over here. Just pass that is a quick service place to eat, with burgers, chicken burgers, fish burgers, and shrimp burgers as they described it. Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters was next to that, and it had the removeable guns which makes the attraction alot more fun. Autotopia filled the back half of Tomorrowland and then Space Mountain rounded it out. Space Mounatain was similar to the DL version, with updated cars sitting 2by2 and musin in the headrest. Most definitely the best ride at the park, and really the only true "e-ticket". Also attached to Space was the Stitch Encounter, which was very much like Turtle Talk with Crush but not nearly has funny. It offered different show times, one in english and one in chinese.

Fantasyland - The Adventures of Winnie the Poo was the only "classic" ride there besides Dumbo. Philharmagic was a big attraction and it was in an oddly themed building, more rustic and Wilderness lodge looking then other buildings typically are in Fantasyland. Small World had its own very large buidling and area of the park, much like the DL version, and although it loaded indoors, it was similar to DL with the Disney characters as part of the ride. There was an added section of the USA with the statue of liberty and wild west with Woody and Jessie. Also there was an entire section with China and Hong Kong represented. The stage show the Golden Mickeys is presented a few times a day, taken from the Disney Cruise line show. Performed in English, but I did not watch it as I have seen it on the cruise and didn't want those memories tainted. That was all the attractions in Fantasyland.

Adventureland - The jungle cruise is really the only attraction in Adventureland. They have Tarzan's treehouse and it centered in the middle of a river, much like Tom Sawyers island at WDW and you have to take the raft boats over to it (which is considered an attraction). Also in Adventureland is the Festival of the Lion King from Animal Kingdom, but I was not able to see the show as it was closed.The Jungle Cruise offers 2 boats, one for english and one for chinese, however it wouldn't have mattered which one I took. Our guides accent was too thick and hard to understand and they didn't do any of the sarcastic jokes as they do in the USA, it was more "look to your right, look to your left". The ending is kind of neat with your boat getting stuck and fire and a whirlpool appear with crashing waves, sort of like Catastrophe Canyon at DHS.

And that was basically it. The park is very small, but there were construction walls up that said "the toys are coming" which makes me think that Midway Mania is being added. Overall it was a great experience to say I got to go, but until the park expands, I am good for now. One day, I'll try to get to Tokyo!!!
Thanks for letting me share.

TiggerDeb
05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure.:mickey:

faline
05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I always find it interesting to read about the International parks. Thanks for your report!

Melanie
05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
How exciting! I had the good fortune of being able to go to HKDL back in '08 when the park was just a mere baby. Can't believe it's 5 years old now!

I agree one day is plenty to see everything. We had a day and a half and were staying onsite, so we enjoyed exploring the entire property. Did you get a chance to check out the resorts? They are nice, and are beautifully situated on the water.

I enjoyed reading your assessments of all the attractions. I love the uniqueness of the mountains in the background of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I thought that was beautiful! I think my favorite attractions there were SM, Autopia (that's the best Autopia/Speedway in any Disney park) and IASW (LOVE the characters).

I'm glad there is expansion coming. I think there are actually a couple of new lands coming, which are very needed.

Thanks so much for your report! I really enjoyed reminiscing by reading your adventure. DEFINITELY try to get to Tokyo one day - you will be blown away!!!

Suz36
05-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the report! It's really neat to hear about the different parks. Someday...

Imagineer1981
05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone! It was an awesome time for sure. It really makes you appreciate having WDW and "the blessing of size" to quote Walt, and neat to be able to compare the parks.

Mel - thanks for all the updates on the podcast. I think you do a great job on there. Look forward to those every week or so.

KylesMom
05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
How awesome, after all those long flights to Hong Kong & China, that you were able to visit a Disney park in the short time you had available. Love hearing your comparisons to WDW vs. HKDL. It really blows my mind when I hear how small HKDL is - for some reason I think of the International parks as "larger than life".

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! :mickey:

Melanie
05-24-2011, 06:53 AM
It really blows my mind when I hear how small HKDL is - for some reason I think of the International parks as "larger than life".

They've got a lot of land in Hong Kong Carol, they just need to develop it.

emerzmom
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
:mickey: Thanks for sharing!!!! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Wow. That's crazy. I thought it was odd and slightly disorienting to go from WDW to DL, I can only imagine going to Hong Kong Disneyland!!

Melanie
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow. That's crazy. I thought it was odd and slightly disorienting to go from WDW to DL, I can only imagine going to Hong Kong Disneyland!!

I was so fortunate to visit Tokyo, Hong Kong, Disneyland and WDW all within a year or so and talk about confusing when I was at a Magic Kingdom! They are all similar in some way, but just enough different to throw you off big time. lol! I'm now so accustomed to Magic Kingdom at WDW that I'll be so messed up next time at Disneyland.

mouseketeer mom
05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I was so fortunate to visit Tokyo, Hong Kong, Disneyland and WDW all within a year or so and talk about confusing when I was at a Magic Kingdom! They are all similar in some way, but just enough different to throw you off big time. lol! I'm now so accustomed to Magic Kingdom at WDW that I'll be so messed up next time at Disneyland.

Wow! All within a year!! That must've blown your mind. Last year we did WDW, DL, then WDW, all within 5 wks. This summer we are doing WDW then DL all within 4 wks. (DH's work is bringing him to DL again) Like you said, MK is just different enough to throw you off, especially with such close visits!!

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for Sharing! :smickey: