PDA

View Full Version : Your special place?

Giselle
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Which restaurant do you consider "yours" at the world and why? Did you have a special moment there or is it an underrated gem? Do tell!

crltkcagle
05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Ohana's would be our special place. Its the first restaurant my kids ate at on their very first trip to WDW. We have gone back to Ohana's on every trip since then. It just wouldn't feel like a complete Disney vacation unless we ate at Ohana's, after all it does mean family! :mickey:

goofygirl64
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I think ours would be the Kona Cafe...we love to go there for lunch when we are at the MK. I absolutely LOVE their fish tacos, and it is a nice change of pace from lunch time in the park, where it can be very hectic.

EpcotFan182
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Mine would be the Crystal Palace, it was the first restaurant I ate at on my very first trip to WDW. Though I don't eat there every trip it will always be special to me :mickey:

squijee
05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Trails End....good food, lots of it, reasonably priced, cool and quiet.:eat::tasty:

minnie-mouse
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
For me and my DH, it would definitely be the beach at the Poly, we love to hang out there after dinner, relaxing on a swing and talking about what we did that day and make plans for the next day. Great memories for us there.

TiggerDeb
05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I would have to say Chrystal Palace. It was the first character meal we took our grandsons to and it was so special to see the expressions on their faces when they met the characters.:mickey:

princessjojo
05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
It just wouldn't feel like a complete Disney vacation unless we ate at Ohana's, after all it does mean family! :mickey:
We feel the very same way. And my kids make a point to list this as their first restaurant of choice.

Kairi_7378
05-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Ours is the CA Grill. We also have a soft spot for the CS at Morocco.

AllDisney
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
We were blown away with Jiko at AKL. We really enjoyed the top notch service, the fantastic food and the great wines. We had heard great reviews and we weren't disappointed at all. It was all that we had hoped for and more:thumbsup:

c&d
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Trails End, I found it while searching for places to eat that we hadn't tried before. Since then it's always our first night dinner. The food is good, it's off the beaten path and it just never feels really crowded like some of the other buffets. And DS loves the corn bread.

DisneyDINK
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
CG for me. I have to go there every trip. It gets super crowded and it is expensive, but the food has never disappointed, the service is always great and it is a great place to check out Wishes.

buzznwoodysmom
05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Ohana's is our's. We have never taken a trip to WDW without dinner at Ohana's.

Last June we planned a last minute trip to WDW when my husband had his 2 week R&R from Iraq. His only requirement was that we could only go to WDW if I could get us an ADR for Ohana's one night. Being it was only a week away the only time I could get was after 9pm every night. He said it didn't matter the time, just as long as I could get it. I can't imagine a trip to WDW without Ohana's!

AgentC
05-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Cali Grill in the wine room for me and my husband.

Ohana's breakfast for the kids. My son loves the Mickey waffles. My daughter loves the juice and the character interaction is always great.

DAWS
05-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Ours is Victoria and Alberts. We ate there for our honeymoon, so it will always be special. I was able to surprise my wife by bringing napkins from our wedding - the servers brought them out with every wine pairing. I was really impressed with their customer service - I snuck the napkins in ahead of time, and never had to say a word when we arrived for our dinner.

Then, we went back for our 10th anniversary. I just love seeing how excited my wife gets when we go there.

I look forward to special occasions there in the future. Next we want to try the Chef's Table - we tried for our 10th anniversary, but couldn't get the reservation.... Maybe on our 15th...

RAIDER
05-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Fultons crab house is so unique and the food is excellent so is the service and the general buzz of the place inside and out , and the other place that we went to for the first time ever last year was the California Grill the view of the bay was awesome and we saw the fireworks at MK .....We loved both of them and i couldnt pick a winner :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Boma has become one of the few must-do places for us most trips. We've enjoyed the food, theme, and service so much - and we've done it with just my wife and me, and also 3 different times during a family reunion, with more than 20 people! It's a special place for us to eat.

Belle_0717
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I love Crystal Palace. But I think we have started a tradition with the girls going to Akerhaus. Their first trip last year we went for lunch and this trip we are going to dinner. We figured it was a sure thing for a character meal - they were "real" people and they wouldn't freak out about a big fluffy character. They didn't freak out about the characters and they loved the princesses.

They also loved Crystal Palace and we are going for breakfast this trip. Hannah screeched for Tigger! Kayleigh was asleep! What Disney magic!

darthmacho
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I have several, actually, greedy and selfish of me, I know, but here they are, in order.

1. Artist Point: Our favorite restaurant in not just WDW, but the entire world, this was the first sit down we ever had at WDW, it was our honeymoon, and the perfect place for DW and I to be in love. Window seat at sunset, please. :artist:

2. Crystal Palace: Our new tradition is to eat the earliest possible breakfast there on our first full day at WDW. It was our first ever character meal, also on our honeymoon, though that particular meal was a dinner. :pooh:

3. San Angel Inn: Although it's obvious the staff is not WDW trained, the atmosphere and food (mole poblano, dos equis, and flan) at this restaurant are fabulous. Seat by the river please! :sombrero:

4. Whispering Canyon: The WDW restaurant at which we've eaten the most times, (four to be exact,) I feel very much at home at this rowdy restaurant, and I always get the all-you-can-eat skillet! :cowboy:

5. Riverside Mill Food Court: Not a sit-down, but this past trip, this great cafeteria really felt like a home base to us. It's one of the reasons why I'm considering staying at POR again on our next trip, hopefully in 2012. Love the create your own pasta station! :eat:

That was a fun question to answer! Thanks. :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
We have a soft spot for the California Grill, 'Ohana, 1900 Park Fare at breakfast, and the Biergarten in Germany (EPCOT). So many great meals and memories with friends!

artyboy
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Mine is Hollywood Brown Derby for martinis and Cobb salad for lunch...the atmosphere and service are outstanding...I cannot/will not have a trip to WDW without at least 1 lunch there...last trip we did 2!

For dinner it's a toss up between Citricos and Artist Point...I feel that these are completely overlooked at times and I don't understand why...but that's OK...I can always get a reservation when I want.

Mysttree
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
:secret: We LOVE Narcoossee's!! We love the atmosphere, the CM's, the food, basically EVERYTHING! We always plan on 1 special meal here- usually call ahead and ask for the vanilla sauce for the surf & turf. Always try to time it to watch the EWP & fireworks.

artyboy
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
:secret: We LOVE Narcoossee's!! We love the atmosphere, the CM's, the food, basically EVERYTHING! We always plan on 1 special meal here- usually call ahead and ask for the vanilla sauce for the surf & turf. Always try to time it to watch the EWP & fireworks.

I didn't know that you could call ahead for the vanilla sauce??? That was my favorite item on the menu, and frankly, I think that we stopped going there out of disappointment. Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup:

beksy
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM

I agree completely! This is my must-do every trip. What is the vanilla sauce? I've never heard of it.

DisneyaHolic
05-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Our meal is 50's Prime Time Cafe. We have had so many fun experiences, starting with our first trip when one person in our group had to stand in the corner, and the entire restaurant said, "Shame, shame, shame."

At that same meal, we saw something hilarious: A man came back from the restroom. The server asked him if he washed his hands, and he said that he did. The server asked what color the soap was, and the man looked uncomfortable. He said, "Uh, pink?" at which the server told him to go back and try again. The entire section of the restaurant was dying! :thumbsup:

Gator
05-28-2011, 12:14 AM
It has to be Akershus at Norway/Epcot. My wife and I went there on our 2nd and best trip, and we've taken the kids there 3 more times. I didn't have the chance to get there on our last trip and I really missed it. It's such a special spot, great atmosphere, and the food is my favorite at WDW. Wish I could drop in tomorrow.

Stitch98
05-28-2011, 02:40 PM
My favorite is Mama Melrose. We have had some of the best servers we have ever had there.

tdk316
05-28-2011, 08:06 PM
We were blown away with Jiko at AKL. We really enjoyed the top notch service, the fantastic food and the great wines. We had heard great reviews and we weren't disappointed at all. It was all that we had hoped for and more:thumbsup:

Us too! The first time we went there we were in love! We'll be going back again this trip for our fourth time. :D

tdk316
05-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I look forward to special occasions there in the future. Next we want to try the Chef's Table - we tried for our 10th anniversary, but couldn't get the reservation.... Maybe on our 15th...

It's worth it! The food is outstanding and the service is unparalleled!

luvdiznee
05-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Same here! We are definitely going to pay it another visit next trip. But also going to try Sanaa and do Boma for breakfast (never did either). Also going to do Boma for dinner! :D

Disney-4-Me
05-29-2011, 09:07 PM
The Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater is our favorite family spot! We love everything about it. It has seemed like a magical spot where we can transport back to a drive in and relax. It's a welcoming, cool, dark spot which provides a nice break from the parks.

wildernesslady
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
We love Ohana, but our place is Whispering Canyon. The WL is our home resort and we never miss a meal hear. It's alot of fun for us.

Mickey'sGirl
05-31-2011, 09:35 AM
I would have to say The Brown Derby.

The four of us had what could be considered a "perfect" day a few years back, and lunch at the Brown Derby was 2 hours right in the middle of it. Fabulous food, atmosphere and service. We all love it.

Also more recently Kouzzina. We've eaten there on our own, with friends, with other friends, with extended family and aside from the awesomeness of the food, we have some really fabulous "social" memories from there.

BayLaker25
05-31-2011, 09:43 AM
We have to always do Cali Grill, we love the food and view and make it a point to eat there every year. Another place that is special to me is CRT; we have only had dinner there once but I will always remember it because it was right before I suprised my wife and took her on the yacht :boat: for the fireworks:fworks: over MK and proposed! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Although not my favorite by far, we eat at Rainforest Cafe AK every trip its just tradition...I wanted to skip it this trip but my son insisted so we will try it for breakfast for the first time....

CanadaLovesDisney
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Toss up between Tonys and coral reef! We have amazing luck with seating at both places and they are amazing with our nut/seed allergy. Would love to try Ohana or boma but from the menu there are nuts and nuts sauce/oils that wouldn't work for us!

Mysttree
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree completely! This is my must-do every trip. What is the vanilla sauce? I've never heard of it.

The Vanilla sauce is a sauce/dip that is used for the lobster rather than butter. It is one of the most heavenly concotions I've EVER tasted! In fact I requested the recipe & now make it every year for our anniversary dinner (I serve it with shrimp). It is a savory sauce made with white wine, shallots, cream, & of course vanilla beans... :tasty:

Katzateer
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Crystal Palace at MK was a cafeteria when we went in 1975 for our honeymoon. We were so poor- we split a plate of spagetti and meatballs!

Kona's will always have a special place in our hearts. We would order one of every dessert and share with our family

elmjimmlm
06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I would say Yak and Yeti but my DH would say Ohana...:mickey:

phlo8810
06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
If I had to choose one it would be Fultons. But since its not on the plan anymore I have a three way tie. Flying Fish the first night of every trip we eat here and love it, twice the staff remembered us and gave us a cake for coming back, also the chef came out to meet my son who was 5, because the waiter told him a little boy just ordered his own order of mussells! The chef shook his hand and did not charge us for them. Also Narcoossess this is my dads and I special place. Last year we had an ADR for 6 people when only two showed up the hostess politley asked where the others were. We told her my son was sick so they went back to the hotel. During the incredible meal the manager came to our table gave us his card and said anytime you want to come back with everyone call me personnally that day and we will get you in. and finally our newest place is via napoli, absolutely amazing pizza which everyone knows but the rest of the menu is great too. We are planners. At the six month mark I'm on the phone making every ADR breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well after going here the second night of our last trip we came back two more times because we loved it so. I really could pick some more but I'm sure I have bored all of you!

KatieDuck22
06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Ohana's! we always eat there our first day when we check in at the poly. It has the best food in the world, and great family traditions. Me and my sister still do the Hooki Lau thing in which my dad cries, and then we do coconut racing!! I love MY ohanas;)