PDA

View Full Version : Need Virginia help please

Cinderelley
05-22-2011, 11:09 PM
My son is currently serving on the Enterprise. When they get back to the US, they will be in Norfolk, Virginia. We would like to go see him for about a week. I can get a timeshare in Virginia Beach. It looks pretty close to Norfolk. Is it really close? What recommendations would you have for things to do in the area. It will be me (39), my 19 year old son, my 17 year old daughter, and my 21 year old son in the Navy when he is available. My 21 year old's girlfriend may be there also. We're not big beach bums, but we will probably spend a little time there - maybe a couple of hours on a day or two.

azcavalier
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, Virginia Beach is pretty close to Norfolk, but traffic is always the consideration. The Norfolk area consists of Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach. Across the mouth of the James River to the north is Newport News and Hampton. So any of those would be pretty close.

Things to do, besides going to the beach, would include trips to Williamsburg and Jamestown (just over an hour inland) and also Yorktown (which is a little closer to Va. Beach). Busch Gardens is in Williamsburg, and quite frankly, is a great theme park. I haven't been there in 16 years, but it was great then, and I hear that it's only gotten better. It's themed around Europe, with each section of the park a different country (Italy, Germany, and then Britain, Ireland, Scotland, and some other locales). It's no WDW, but definitely worth a day.

Closer to Virginia Beach is the Virginia Marine Science Museum (or something like that). It's a combination of museum and live aquarium, and it's pretty interesting. Also has IMAX theaters. In Norfolk is also Nauticus, which is kind of a marine science and technology center/museum.

If you are at all interested in the Civil War, then a trip to Richmond is definitely worth it, as well. It's not quite two hours from Va. Beach (and where I was born!) There are some battlefields (Richmond, Petersburg), the White House of the Confederacy is still in downtown Richmond, along with more statues of Robert E. Lee than there are street lights (according to my DW, who is also from the Phoenix area). Hollywood Cemetery has four U.S. Presidents buried there, along with other notable figures such as Gen. George Pickett of Gettysburg fame, and JEB Stuart, Lee's favorite Cavalry officer. Edgar Allen Poe also had a house here (in Richmond, not Hollywood Cemetery....though that certainly wouldn't be surprising), and it's open to the public.

Hope that helps!

Cinderelley
05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you so much. The kids and I will sit down and go through each of your suggestions to see what they are most interested in. I'll just be happy to see my DS. :D

disney obsessed
05-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi.
I live in Virginia Beach. The trip back and forth between Norfolk and the Beach is a straight shot down I264. It takes 10-15 min without traffic. Very do-able. Be mindful of rush hour as you will get stuck in traffic and it can be slow. Also, if you are heading up to the Williamsburg area, take off after 9 and return after 7. You have to go through a tunnel that goes under the James River. You can see the Norfolk Navel Base from this stretch of road. The Enterprise will go right over it when they return, for an interesting aside.

When do they return? If it is during peak summer in Virginia Beach you can expect it to be crowded everywhere. Depending on what you like to eat and which area of the beach you are I can suggest some good places to eat. Let me know.:cool:

Cinderelley
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
They will be back in July. Hmmm. Interesting about the tunnel. I would be able to tell him that he drove over us. lol When we find out where we're staying, I will give you a shout to see what's good. :D Thanks

awaggett
05-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I have been working in Norfolk this week, staying in VAB. The drive is super easy--20 mins max. I had two great dinners on the beach--Waterman's and Mahi Mah's. Looking forward to more suggestions for my next trip here.

Enjoy your time with your son!

Cinderelley
05-27-2011, 10:59 PM
From the sound of it, I am assuming Mahi Mah's is seafood. My DD is allergic to fish. Is Waterman's seafood also?

disney obsessed
05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi.
Yes, they are both seafood however, they also have other choices. You will find this with many of the restauants here at the beach. I have a severe shellfish allergy and do not have a problem when I go out. I do usually let the waiter know, unless I've been there many times.