Who: Gene & Me

Plan for the Day:
Off Day
Perhaps Downtown Disney??
Perhaps Pool Time??
Hope to see Davy Jones perform at Epcot
Perhaps Earl of Sandwich for lunch??
Flying Fish for dinner

It’s almost 9:30 pm now and we just got back to our room. This afternoon, I relaxed on our balcony for a bit while the weather increasingly improved. We changed and got ready to head out. I had pulled the umbrellas out but we decided we didn’t need them so left them on the dining table.

We did not wait long for an Epcot bus to appear. Epcot was mobbed. I attributed it the early closing of Magic Kingdom today for tonight’s grad night but someone else later told me the place had been filled with multiple school groups all day long.

We weaved our way through the crowds, stopping a few times to have photopass pictures and/or to take pictures of the various topiaries. Finally, we arrived at the theater in the U.S. pavilion. It was already pretty full but we were able to find seats fairly close to the stage and just behind the area where the covered roof ends. Unfortunately, the seats were full in the sun. What happened to all those clouds of earlier today when they could have been useful?! We saw the 5:15 Davy Jones show which was fun and pretty good. Gosh, I remember watching the Monkees years ago!!! By time the show ended, our seats were finally in the shade as the sun moved past the covered roof.

Filing out, we found ourselves once again, in the midst of heavy crowds. At times, it was difficult to make forward motion – glad we didn’t pick today as an Epcot day! We stopped a couple more times for photopass ops before making our way out through the International gate. From there, we made our way over to Boardwalk and to Flying Fish.

I have made a Flying Fish reservation at least 3-4 times in the last 2-3 years and have canceled every one of those reservations! We finally made it! We were more than ½ hour early for our reservation but were seated almost immediately in the back of the restaurant. We ate in the restaurant once before, years ago, and were seated in this same section. Curly was our server for the evening. We started with a shared mozzarella and tomato salad – quite yummy. I selected the snapper for my entrée while Gene had the diver scallops. My potato wrapped snapper was very good. Gene really liked his scallops but was not a big fan of the risotto with which it was served. Still, this dinner is probably one of our top two of the week – the other being Citrico’s. We opt not to have dessert.

Back out on the Boardwalk, we check out the lobby area of the Boardwalk resort and then make our way back to Epcot. Gene wanted to get some pastries from France for breakfast so we headed there. The line was out the doorway and it probably took us a good 15 minutes to get to the display cases, make our selections and head back out the door. Now, we needed to get to the front exit of the park. Given the number of people in the park, this was a bit of a chore and, by time we finally got to the exit, I was a bit weary of humanity in general.

We waited only a few minutes for a bus. A man who boarded lifted his stroller and placed it on top of the ledge area at the front of the bus (The area that has signs indicating that no strollers, bags, etc should be placed there) and then went and sat down. The bus driver noticed and made him come and take the stroller. In the meantime, his wife and two kids has settled into the seats that are directly behind the bus driver and she had placed a small bag on the ledge area on her side of the bus. The driver let it go. Can people not see how easily items in this area could slide into passengers should the bus need to stop quickly? I guess folks have other things on their minds at the end of a long park day!

After an uneventful (thankfully) ride back to our resort, we are home once again. There is a lone giraffe lying down out on the savannah. I think it’s time for me to go try out one of those bath bombs, set a wake up call (I’m persistent) and get ready for tomorrow’s activities!

sassafras
05-20-2011, 06:37 PM
You're right-Epcot was mobbed that day! DH and I were there that day and couldn't believe the crowds! We had had lunch around 1 and couldn't believe people were lining up shortly after that for the first show of Davy Jones! We saw the 5:15 show also and it was very good. We were in seats toward the back, but still enjoyed it even in the sun and heat. Had dinner afterwards at the Biergarten. When we came out at 7, people were lined up like 6 deep clear back to Germany waiting to get in for the last show! It was just crazy! We had planned to see the last show, but waded thru the crowd to shop at MouseGears instead and it was crazy there too! We finally got out of there and weaved our way back to the boats at the International Gateway and rode back to the BWVs and called it a night. Fun, but exhausting!

DisneyBarb
05-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I always enjoy your reports (and very jealous you go a couple of times a year!). We always stay at the Poly due to the easy access to the monorail..(and all the other wonderful things we love about it).Do you miss staying at a MK resort? looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

faline
05-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I always enjoy your reports (and very jealous you go a couple of times a year!). We always stay at the Poly due to the easy access to the monorail..(and all the other wonderful things we love about it).Do you miss staying at a MK resort? looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

There was a time when we were lucky to get to Disney once every 3 years so we really do feel fortunate to go as often as we do now.

The Magic Kingdom area is always my favorite place to stay and the Poly is my favorite resort. We recently became members of the Disney Vacation Club so are beginning to try out the different vacation club resorts. So far, my favorite is Bay Lake Tower, in large part, because of its location in the Magic Kingdom area!

faline
05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
You're right-Epcot was mobbed that day! ....

We were lucky that, other than the Davy Jones show, we didn't spend any amount of time in Epcot except to walk through

Too funny...that we went to the same show! Too bad we couldn't have said "hi" to each other!

I certainly wouldn't have stood in line for hours to see the show and feel badly for those who spent the entire afternoon in line! Yikes!

sassafras
05-20-2011, 07:45 PM
You're right, it's funny we were both there. Maybe we can say hi the next time!:D

mouseketeer mom
05-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh boy...I feel for you with those mobs in Epcot and still having to make your way out! I really dislike that feeling...
I loved seeing Davy Jones a year or so ago..or was it two years ago at the flower power concert..I couldn't stop thinking about the Monkees!!!

Lodger
05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm enjoying reading your reports and am looking forward to your next...So you saw a giraffe laying down? That is something I never saw. So what does that look like?

RedSoxFan
05-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Nice ending to your day with Davy Jones (love him) and dinner.:mickey:

Suz36
05-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Flying Fish is on my "want to" list - glad to hear you enjoyed your meal there! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the crowds - it makes me really nervous for our next trip in March during Spring Break crowds! We've never gone during a crowded period before!!!

Disney-4-Me
05-22-2011, 07:46 PM
School groups at Disney World - yikes! I'd even hate to be a teacher taking a school group there. I enjoyed your report. Thanks.:thumbsup:

vizsla
05-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
05-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Enjoyed your report!

yjgirl32
05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Great report- thanks for sharing.

princessgirls
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Ahhh...flower power concert with Davy Jones. I caught that show in '09. So much fun!!

Epcot sounded like a zoo!! OH my....

Dinner, wonderful!

A lovely evening, in spite of the crowds.

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm glad your plans at Epcot today were limited - another park crowded to the gills! :(
by time we finally got to the exit, I was a bit weary of humanity in general. That was nicely worded, Linda. I think we've all reached that "weariness" at one time or another at Disney! :D

Your dinner sounds wonderful, as does your relaxing bath at the end of the evening. Sure hope you get the appropriate wake-up call. It's just not the same if the Mickey/Stitch combo isn't the one to greet you in the morning! :mickey:

DizNee143
05-23-2011, 06:40 PM
what a nice rest of the day..and i know what you mean with crowds..its amazing the way some people act..i hope to read next that you actually got the wake up call!:mickey:

faline
05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
...So you saw a giraffe laying down? That is something I never saw. So what does that look like?

This isn't the best shot but here's a picture of a giraffe lying down (http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/46224/2092891370104031159S600x600Q85.jpg).

We've actually seen them lie down quite often though it does seem to be a bit of a chore for them to actually GET into that position!

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a good day and a great dinner

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Linda, your weariness of humanity is exactly how I felt after visiting WDW last May. I think it is my least favourite time of year to visit due to the school groups (give me the South American tours anytime!). Your dinner sounded fantastic (except for Gene's risotto, which in my experience is almost always disappointing when ordered out).

brian2000boston
06-25-2011, 07:42 AM
another great day. Can't wait to see if your wake up call happens!

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Another great day. I'm enjoying your reports very much!

darthmacho
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Ugh, the crowds at Epcot would have had me feeling claustrophobic!

I can't help it, when you talk about Davy Jones, I picture a half-squid dude playing a creepy pipe organ. :D

The lone giraffe was definitely a sign to hit the tub...

:mickey:

January-2007
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
can't believe the crowd! when it's that crowded, we just can't enjoy ourselves.