Who: Gene & Me

Plan for the Day:
Off Day
Perhaps Downtown Disney??
Perhaps Pool Time??
Hope to see Davy Jones perform at Epcot
Perhaps Earl of Sandwich for lunch??
Flying Fish for dinner

We don’t set a wake up call (not that having done so has benefitted us to date) and get up around 8 this morning. Once again, we have coffee and pastries in our room. The housekeeper knocks on our door about 15 minutes before we’re ready to leave. Good – looks like we’ll get our room cleaning today!
Today’s weather is calling for showers today with the showers moving out by this evening. Still, we opt not to take our umbrellas with us.

Just about 9:30, we’re walking towards the bus stop and see a bus departing for Downtown Disney. Oh well – looks like we might be in for a bit of a wait. The way the busses come in is again confusing. At one point, we see three Magic Kingdom busses in a room. The third one followed the second so closely that he has not even one single passenger on board as he departs the station??!! We also see multiple busses for Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. I think we saw one for Epcot. Finally, our bus is approaching but the gate is stuck, won’t lift and the bus can’t get through. After a few minutes the gate finally decided to work and our bus approaches. Given that we just missed the previous bus and had to also stop at Kidani and Typhoon Lagoon, it’s about 50 minutes from the time we arrived at the bus stop until we arrived at the Downtown Disney stop.

We wander through shops and make some purchases in World of Disney which we have sent back to the room. By time that is done, it’s time for some lunch and it has also began to rain. We make our way over to Earl of Sandwich where we have a satisfying and yummy lunch for not an outrageous amount of money. No wonder this place has a non-stop flow of traffic! By time we exit, it is still sprinkling but we explore some more. I buy a couple of bath bombs and some salts for the tub. We walk through what was Pleasure Island – for some reason I expected I would see more construction in this area but little seems to be happening. We wander through the West Side where there is little to see or do and then decide to return to our room. As we approach the Pleasure Island bus stops, we see an Animal Kingdom bus leaving. Nicely, the driver pulls into another bus stop and picks us up. After a stop at Typhoon Lagoon, we arrive home around 1:30 p.m.

It’s raining/sprinkling off and on and it’s not terribly warm so we decide to hang out in our room instead of heading to the pool.
When we arrive back at the room, we discover our promised room cleaning has taken place! Yay!

Yesterday afternoon, when we got back, we saw a sign out in front of lobby saying Safari guests should assemble there. Later, while out on our balcony, we saw an open sided truck, filled with guests, drive through the savanna out in back of our building. I wasn’t sure what the deal was so today looked at the May Activities list for Animal Kingdom Lodge and found a listing for the Wanyama Safari – 3:45 pm. It’s described this way “Experience Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge like never before! The Wanyama Safari includes an afternoon drive through the savannas and a family-style dinner with your fellow adventurers at Jiko – The Cooking Place. To book your safari, visit the Lobby Concierge desk. Children ages 8 and older are welcome to attend.” I’d not heard of this before so am not sure if I just missed it in the past or if it is something new. Sounds interesting in any case. No cost information is provided with the description.

More to come….

Suz36
05-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Down-time at Disney - what a novel idea! :blush:

mouseketeer mom
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
We enjoyed our Earl lunch at DTD ourselves last month. Our first time having it, and we'll be back again!!
The safari sounds interesting! We did the sunrise safari at AK park and enjoyed it..this one sounds cool too!

BrerGnat
05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I've never had Earl of Sandwich at WDW. We ate at one in Las Vegas and it was amazing! However, it's hard to not go to WP Express when we're at DtD...

Sounds like a relaxing day!

Question: Do you have cell phones? Why not just set the alarm clock on those to wake you up? :shrug:

vizsla
05-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the report.

emerzmom
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Enjoying your report. Thanks!

yjgirl32
05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for sharing.

KylesMom
05-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Given that we just missed the previous bus and had to also stop at Kidani and Typhoon Lagoon, it’s about 50 minutes from the time we arrived at the bus stop until we arrived at the Downtown Disney stop. I gotta tell you, Linda - this would frustrate the heck out of me (as well as the rest of my family). You're much more patient than I am! Now I know we make the right decision in renting a car each trip! :D However, once you finally arrived, it looks like you had a successful shopping trip. I too am surprised that there isn't more going on at the former Pleasure Island.

So - will you and Gene be heading out on Wanyama Safari? Looking forward to the next installment! :mickey:

faline
05-20-2011, 01:39 PM
I gotta tell you, Linda - this would frustrate the heck out of me (as well as the rest of my family). ...So - will you and Gene be heading out on Wanyama Safari? Looking forward to the next installment! :mickey:

We figure the transportation is just part of the Disney experience. Sometimes, it works well - sometimes you need to wait a bit.

I thought about the Safari but we already had our dinner reservations set for the trip and wasn't sure what was offered at this "group dining" experience so decided to skip it.

faline
05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Question: Do you have cell phones? Why not just set the alarm clock on those to wake you up? :shrug:

We do have cell phones and that's exactly what I ended up doing as you'll see in future trip reports.

RedSoxFan
05-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Glad you finally made it to DD. We had that problem during our stay at CBR a couple of years ago --- waited an hour for the bus to arrive. Earl of Sandwich is awesome!!

DisneyorBust
05-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Not exactly the best way to start your day with such an extended wait for the DtD bus, but you seem to take it instride and enjoyed the day.
DW and I have enjoyed lunch at Earl of Sandwich during past trips, it is a great spot to grab delicious sandwiches.

princessgirls
05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Linda,

Besides some frustrating bus moments, a very nice down day!!!

I love your touring pace!!!

Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
besides some typical disney transportation problems..sounds like a good day so far..even with the rain..:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
That safari sounds interesting...thanks for the report

pdrlkr
05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 12:36 PM
A nice down day! The bus driver was thoughtful to pull over for you guys! :thumbsup:

brian2000boston
06-25-2011, 07:36 AM
nice day, we enjoy earl of sandwich, especially late at night

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
We thought about doing the safari during our AKL stay in March, but at $200 a person we decided against it. Just seems like a lot of money for an experience.

darthmacho
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Interesting day. They really need to do something with that real-estate that was Pleasure Island. Maybe they could build a Villains themed mini-park? How about a character interaction zone? Haha, just kidding.

You should have scheduled a later wake-up just to test the system.

I was wondering if you'd be seeing the Davy Jones performance? Perhaps Captain Jack Sparrow would make a guest appearance? Oh, not that Davy Jones? :D

That safari sounds interesting. Lots of animal activities at AKL. Makes sense I suppose...

January-2007
07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-20-2011, 11:31 AM
did you do the safari?????????

I forget how much there is to do at the resort itself!