PDA

View Full Version : World of Color & Fireworks - Same night

zoopop
05-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Me and my wife are going to Disneyland on the 3rd weekend of June. Its a Disneyland and U2 trip (Playing Angels stadium).

Anyway, we plan on seeing WOC on Sunday night at 10:15PM. Is this even feasible:

8:30PM - Check out Tron
9:30PM - Watch Fireworks from end of Main Street (by train)
Run over to WOC (Plan on getting the picnic to guarantee a standing area)
10:15 - Watch WOC

We've been to and seen the Fireworks at Disney World plenty of times (love them) so is it even worth rushing to see the Fireworks at Disneyland.

The reason we have to cram everything in on Sunday night is because were seeing U2 twice (Friday & Saturday)

Thanks.

BrerGnat
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Um, it will be very, very difficult. But, not impossible.

First of all, you will miss a LOT of Electronica if you only budget, what, 30 min? In order to view the DL fireworks at 9:30, you have to head OUT of DCA by 9pm, at the latest, to have time to get over to DL, into the park, and to a spot conducive to seeing the show. LOTS of people do this last minute, so it's not as easy as it seems on paper. Plus, watching from the train station end isn't very good. You will miss a LOT of the action that happens by the castle (which is small, so you have to be up close to see it). I recommend seeing these fireworks from the hub, and no further back than that.

Now, onto WoC. For a show at 10:15, you need to be IN the viewing spot no later than 9:45 if you want to actually see the show at all. Arriving at 9:15-9:30 would be a better idea.

The DL fireworks show is long, close to 20 min, so if you try to watch it, you won't get out of DL park until 10pm (as the masses will cut your ability to quickly leave). The viewing area for WoC is a good 10 min walk into the park, so you would barely make it. The CMs stop letting people into the viewing areas about 5 min prior to show time.

Let me just tell you, the Disneyland fireworks are WAY better than anything at WDW. WAY better. I'd not miss them if you've never seen them.

Can you see an earlier or later WoC show? Both are worth seeing, but you can't do the fireworks and the 10:15 show. You can MAYBE do the 9pm WoC and then hoof it over to DL for the fireworks.

I'd hold out hope that they will add an even LATER WoC show. They routinely ran three shows over the summer last year, the latest being at 11pm. Maybe they'll do this again?

tinkwest
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
It seems kind of rushed.

Getting to the WOC viewing area so late, you may end up with a less than ideal spot. Just because you have the picnic reservations doesn't mean you have a perfect view of the show. It just means you have access to a preferred viewing "area". You still need to jockey for position within that area.

And on a personal note, unless the show has changed, I was less than impressed with the Magical Fireworks last summer. They did not compare with other fireworks shows I have seen at Disneyland. :twocents:

ETA: I see Natalie and I have given you some conflicting thoughts about the fireworks. But what we do agree on is the fact that your current plan is going to have you rushing around like a chicken with your head cut off. Perhaps not enjoying anything at the end of it all.

zoopop
05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, based on your description it seems like too much to try and cram in. And most of all we'll be stressing about time, not enjoying ourselves. Our plan right now is to enjoy Tron (8:30) and then head over to WOC at 9:45.

My wife and I talked about skipping one of the U2 shows to enjoy a full night at Disneyland. As we understand the magic of being at the parks during the late hours.

Just not sure if a 20 minute firework show is worth a U2 show...

BrerGnat
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Full disclosure:

I've never seen "Magical". I didn't realize it was so different from "Believe", which is the amazing fireworks show I was referring to.

I'd not miss a concert for the DL fireworks...

zoopop
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
How much is there to see for elecTRONica? And how much time should we allocate for it?

zoopop
05-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Ok, I just watched some clips of Magical, while it looks good its not the show we thought we were missing, Believe (fireworks based of rides) which look really awesome.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think we'll stick w/ Tron & WOC on Sunday night then U2 Friday & Saturday.

clausjo
05-18-2011, 05:04 PM
What is the Tron thing? We'll be there for the first visit the 2nd week in June and I don't see it mentioned on the calendar for CA.

BrerGnat
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
What is the Tron thing? We'll be there for the first visit the 2nd week in June and I don't see it mentioned on the calendar for CA.

It's sort of like a street party. It takes place in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. There is Flynn's Arcade (a real video game arcade, where you can play Tron among other OLD video games); a guy called "Laser Man" who puts on an amazing show (YouTube it for a preview!); and loud, high energy Electronica/Dance music playing. It's pretty cool.

It goes through Labor Day of this year. It's only on weekends (Fri-Sun). It doesn't happen on weekdays.

Try looking here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar/daily/#/default/2011/06/04). ElecTRONica will happen every weekend in June.

clausjo
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks! We won't be there on the weekend, so that explains why it isn't on the calendar. Seems pretty cool though.