PDA

View Full Version : Online check in ?

elmjimmlm
05-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I have not ever used the online check in and I was thinking of doing it on our next trip but I was wanting to know, if you do this, will you know what building that you would be in before you get there? I am staying at POR and I have requested a building and I want to make sure that I get it...I know there is no guarantee to get it even if I check in at the resort but I have a good chance to talk to them about my options of what building I want...

McLiberal8
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Last year, I called a few months before my trip and requested a room near the main building at POP, as I was a solo female traveler. They weren't able to guarantee anything, but requested I be put in a near building.
I used the oniline check-in, and the room they had for me was indeed close to the main building. It seemed to work out fine.

sassafras
05-18-2011, 11:05 AM
We've used the online check-in several times. The last time we stayed at POR, we requested Alligator Bayou. When we arrived, we were assigned the last building in Magnolia Bend. When we asked if it were possible to be moved, the cast member we spoke with, very rudely, informed us "No!" Guess it depends on the person you deal with when you check in!

elmjimmlm
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
What do you get with online check in and how does it work?

lylone
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
We used online checkin this last trip and there is actually a section for room requests but you only get two. We made our Reservations over the phone and gave them two requests then and they were honored. Our room wasn't ready by 3p, but that was a whole another story...

McLiberal8
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Basically, it is a shortcut, so you don't have to wait in a long line while the front desk checks you/other guests in when you arrive. You arrive to the resort, get in the 'online check-in' line, and they ask for your name. They grab your room keys (which have already been set) and packet, and off you go. I recommend it for people who have been to the resort they are staying at multiple times/know what they are doing. Otherwise, choose the slow version and let the front desk agent walk you through the resort, your package, etc.

Strmchsr
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
What do you get with online check in and how does it work?

First, to answer the question above, no you will not know which room/building you'll be in when you do online check-in. They don't tell you your room number until the room is actually ready and you don't find out your building until you arrive.

The online process means you fill out all of your information, like name address and credit card, before arrival so that you don't have to stand at the desk and give the CM you info. Your packet is ready and all they do is hand it to you. You can also make requests via online check-in like a crib needs or (at the values) a fridge or handicapped accessible room needed. They have also recently added that you can check "near transportation" as a request, but I'm sure almost everyone checks that so I'm not sure how much good it does you. Finally, you're able to give your estimated time of arrival. Supposedly this is to help them match those arriving earlier with an open room. So, if you're arriving at 8 am (as I often do) there's supposedly a better chance of you having a room that's already ready. However, I've used online check-in 4 times, arrived at the same time of the morning all 4 times, and am 50-50 on having my room ready when I arrived. I agree with McLiberal's assessment. If all you want to do is pick up your packet and go, then do the online check-in. If you know you want a specific area and might need to request a different room than the one you're assigned, then go through the traditional line so you don't hold up the others trying to do the express version. Usually there are fewer CMs in the express line and it really ties things up when someone is making special requests in that line.

crltkcagle
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
We always use on line check in with POR. I call about 5 days before our trip and request a certain building. When I fill out my online check in form I once again request that building. I have never NOT gotten the building I requested. It may also depend on what time of the year you go. I love online check in! So much easier!

elmjimmlm
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone...I think I may try the online this year...I didn't ask for a preferred room because I didnt want to pay extra for a building that I have stayed in every trip... Last Dec. I didn't and I was stuck in 25 and I didn't like the west depot for waiting on a bus... I have asked for 15 so I'm not as far away from the south so I guess I will just wait and see how online goes...

LudwigVonDrake
05-22-2011, 11:17 AM
You should make your room requests when you book.

elmjimmlm
05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
What do you about putting a credit card on your room key if you are checking in online? Is that done when you fill that out?

Strmchsr
05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
What do you about putting a credit card on your room key if you are checking in online? Is that done when you fill that out?

That's part of the online check-in process. There's a place to fill out your cc info so you don't have to worry about that at check-in either.

Fastpasssteve
05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I prefer to check in myself in person. For reasons real or imagined, I believe I have a better shot at an upgrade if I'm there to smile and share my excitement at being there. I may be deluding myself. :yes:

Strmchsr
05-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I may be deluding myself. :yes:

Yep. :D They actually seem to have really cut back on the upgrades as of late. In fact, I understand now that desk CM's don't have the authority to upgrade any longer. It's a managerial decision based on overbooking.