PDA

View Full Version : Made In America

BellesRose
05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Let's be honest, we all know it's hard to find products and brands that are still made in America. Even brands that are famous for their American roots - such as Levi Jeans and the state of Indiana favorite, Vera Bradley - have production in other countries.

So what companies/products/brands are still made in America? I've searched the internet for lists, and can't find much of anything. If you know of any, please let me know!

BellesRose
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I know American Apparel is based in California. I love their t-shirts - my favorite sellers on Etsy use them and they are excellent for quality and comfort. But that's just about the only brand I know of...

faline
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Many New Balance shoes are made in the US. SAS Shoes are made in the US as well.

DisneyMom12
05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I did a Google search, and one website listed a lot of Made in America stores. They only company that comes to mind is Farouk. They make Chi, and Biosilk hair products.

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Ford. GM. Chrysler.

jillluvsdisney
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Yankees Candles, Allen Edmonds Shoes, In-Sinkerater,Kromer Caps, Stuebben Glass, Sikorsky Helicopters,Air Stream Trailers, Louisville Slugger baseball bats.

BellesRose
05-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all of the replies!

I love Chi...so cool to know that!

BrerGnat
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
My CHI flat iron says "Made in Korea", so I don't know about that one.

Honda and Toyota have American manufacturing plants. But, lots of the parts come from overseas...

magicalmom
05-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Churchill Weavers, Stone Mountain Handbags, S.C. Johnson. Corningware and Corelle? Amana appliances, still, I think. What a neat thread!

DisneyMom12
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2171046]My CHI flat iron says "Made in Korea", so I don't know about that one.

The website says Made in the USA :confused:

KylesMom
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Colonial Candle of Cape Cod & Baldwin Brass high-end tabletop items. :D

BellesRose
05-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Just checked my CHI products. The straightener was made in Korea, the blow-dryer was made in China, and the haircare products are made in America :thumbsup:

On a side note, the hair products smell AMAZING. I don't use it often because it's expensive, but when I do use it, my hair smells delicious!

micky95
05-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Ford. GM. Chrysler.

my last ford truck was made in canada,the one i have now was made in kentucky but i believe the majority of the big 3 vehicles are made in the USA.also for what its worth i would be willing to pay a little more for a product made in the USA if it kept our jobs here.more americans working equals more americans spending money equals a better economy.maybe i should forward this to the White House.:thumbsup:

Ed
05-19-2011, 08:02 AM
My Dodge truck was made in Mexico.

hoop de do
05-19-2011, 08:10 AM
INTERCOT Disney Freaks.

Made in Orlando, Fl.

Sorry had to do it.

Nice thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ian
05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Ford. GM. Chrysler.Actually a lot of Big Three cars are manufactured at least in part in Mexico. Oddly enough, there are almost as many foreign car brands manufactured in the US as there are domestic ones. Six years working for GM gave me some surprising insight into that.

For example, both Honda and BMW have very large manufacturing plants here in the US. Although it's true many of the parts come from overseas, that's also true of most domestic brands.

Mickey'sGirl
05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Actually a lot of Big Three cars are manufactured at least in part in Mexico. Oddly enough, there are almost as many foreign car brands manufactured in the US as there are domestic ones. Six years working for GM gave me some surprising insight into that.

For example, both Honda and BMW have very large manufacturing plants here in the US. Although it's true many of the parts come from overseas, that's also true of most domestic brands.
I was actually referring to the intellectual creation of the products. These companies still design from North America. There are a number of foreign (meaning Asian) car plants in our area. They are assembled here, but they are designed and most parts are built in Japan and Korea.

Also, as far as Made in America, I was thinking of Made in North America (since NAFTA was signed in 1994). I would personally consider any product made in Mexico, the US or Canada as Made at home, because of the agreement. I do not discriminate between the three. Just my two cents.

dnickels
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
As mentioned with vehicles, you really have to do your homework, but the websites are out there that can tell you where your vehicle was made and the percentage of US/foreign parts that go into it. The scale would go something like

-Most dollars stay here
US manufacturer (GM / Chrysler / Ford) so the profits go to US companies combined with actually manufactured here in the US and having a large number of parts built in the US

-Somewhere in the middle
US manufacturer but vehicle built overseas or built mostly with foreign parts
OR
Foreign manufacturer built here or with mostly US sourced parts

-Least dollars stay here
Foreign manufacturer built overseas with mostly foreign parts

And all the shades in between.

DizneyRox
05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, the USofA is now mostly a consumer of products, not a producer of products...

That needs to change...

caryrae
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I was made in the USA, says so right on my rump.

joonyer
05-20-2011, 12:08 PM
How about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes, cars, among others? All built right here in the USA. And most of those companies have designers working right here in the U.S, designing products for American consumers. It's easy to find reasons for not buying any product. Just because it may be connected with an internationally owned company is not usually a very good one. I drive a Ford pickup and a BMW. The BMW is the best car I have ever owed. My Ford F-150 is a great vehicle too. I don't care one whit who built either one where.

brivers222
05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
How about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes, cars, among others? All built right here in the USA.

I love my HONDA! the black pearl gets 40.1 mpg :) i am a honda owner for life after years with Saturn

TheVBs
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Hanes is too.

Mousefever
05-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Cutco Knives are designed and manufactured in Olean, NY. I love their knives! They carry a few products made in China, but their website lists which products are made in the USA.

Amy

Dixie Springs
05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Sidebar Soapbox: I live in the breadbasket of auto unions, where buying a 'foreign' car is an evil, corrupt action. However, as has been posted above, there are plenty of Asian auto companies with stateside plants. They just aren't unionized (who cares?). "But the profits go overseas", they say. Well, Chrysler a foreign company (owned by Fiat & the UAW). It's not as clear-cut anymore.

As for things made in America, I think all of us Intercotees know one thing that America makes that no other country has been able to equal (except via licensing): Disney parks & films. Bumper sticker idea: "Support your country - Go to WDW instead of Europe" ;)

janebanks
06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Longaberger baskets

MNNHFLTX
06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
On a side note, I have to say that I was more than a little discouraged last week to see how many items in the Mt. Vernon gift shop in Virginia were made in China. :(

On a positive note, the souvenirs for sale in the U.S. Capitol gift shop are made in America.