PDA

View Full Version : DDP, QSDP, or GG

jonahbear2006
05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
My husband is dropping me and my kids off in October for 16 nights. We originally planned on using Garden Grocer but once I started adding up the prices for travel friendly kid foods to take into the parks, for lunches, I have come to the conclusion that it seems to be about the same price to get a dining plan. QS is cheaper by about $500 for us than DDP, it seems, but never done it before and need input on how people like it and if it is enough food for each day. If you were the only parent in WDW w 5 kids for 2 weeks, which would you choose and why? Please help me to make a good decision. I have dining booked, just in case i go with ddp. I just wonder how I would handle buffets with so many little kids. they are 11, 9, 7, 5, 1

SBETigg
05-17-2011, 08:46 AM
WIth that group, the money spent would be less important than the convenience and ease, within reason and budget of course. I would go with sit down meals, no buffets. Quick Service seems like it would be kind of a nightmare for me as the sole parent with five under-11 kids, similarly buffets. I would be the one spending the extra money on non-buffet TS for every meal, and limiting between meal snacks.

Daisy'sMom
05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
We did the QS plan last year when we brought four nephews for a week. It was great. We had plenty of food, had snacks left over and brought them home with us. Go with the QS. TS is nice, but you have to plan ahead to arrive on time and with children, I personally think it is hard.:mickey:

magicofdisney
05-17-2011, 09:42 AM
I can see valid points for either argument.

I've been doing buffets with my 4 kids (sans Dad) since my youngest was 2. It's not really that challenging. The older kids can help a lot. Despite that, counter service allows you to show up when it's most convenient for you.

The most current challenge I see for counter service meals is the new seating plan implemented at busy times. Most recently it worked in our favor. After we received our meal, a few CMs tracked down a table for us. If that's the continued game plan, it will work well (as opposed to having you find your own table with several trays and kids in tow).

DizneyRox
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
FIVE kids and one parent? Can you find another parent? My money says that might be the best money spent on that trip. Dining aside, how do you plan on managing bathroom breaks, loading/unloading the busses, etc. I'm not sure if I would take on that challenge as the only adult. I've got one and I'm out numbered...

After that I think you need to look at TS for your meals, just because of the ease. You'll never end up being able to manage a buffet in my opinion.

Dulcee
05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
You must be a very brave person to attempt WDW with 5 kids and 1 adult, especially for that long.

CS could get crazy with that many kids, you aren't guaranteed seating, having to carry all the food.

If your older children are more self sufficient buffets could be a great option, but again I think that depends on your kids.

Regular TS could give you a much needed break or a bigger headache, again depending on your kids.

Both TS and Buffets require ressies which might make planning hard but with 16 days maybe you won't be running to much.

Not sure if this helps but best of luck!

jonahbear2006
05-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, explaining the handling of the kids...im used to it. I have 6 during the week and I homeschool. Ive taken them to st louis museums and zoos before and theyre very well behaved children so i wont have a problem. The older ones help out A LOT and i can walk into a disney bathroom with all of them and i always state, dont leave without your mommy, and no one ever has tried to leave my side. This will be our 8th trip to disney so its not new to us. We are camping and doing a homeschool curriculum as a summer camp for them. I am the only one going bc im the only one who can stay long enough to do this. Im not concerned in the least. We will have our van so we will drive to HS and AK.. since we are preferred camping site, I wont have to hop on a bus to get to the marina so MK and Epcot we will use our boat. The younger two will be in a double stroller.
Valid and wonderful points on both sides. With this being said, I am leaning towards DDP simply bc I had not considered having to walk the kids away from the QS with a tray full of food and a double stroller to push. This might be hard for me. The bonus, I feel, to the DDP is that the child to adult ratio is high and I cannot feed these kids in the parks....and maybe not even a grocery store/park combo for $11.99 a child per day. It seems to me that with ddp the adults are overpriced and children are underpriced so the decision for us would be made based upon who is in our party for that particular trip. Now with that being said, if i am correct, the QS is the same price for a child as a TS is, right?

jonahbear2006
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
on the other hand, still conflicted, it would be wonderful to have quick service during food and wine festival, eh?

SBETigg
05-17-2011, 05:28 PM
on the other hand, still conflicted, it would be wonderful to have quick service during food and wine festival, eh?

Food and Wine Fest take snack credits, not QS meal credits. But you do get more snacks with the QS plan, I think (2 snacks per person per day and 2 QS meals vs 1 QS meal, 1 TS, 1 snack per person per day on regular plan). So, it is something to consider. For me, I would be all about the deluxe plan, three table service meals and two snacks. But I've only managed two kids at Disney, and that with my husband. I think it's great that you have a system and help from the older kids, and it works for you. I'm sure you can manage far more than I could imagine. :mickey:

lynnek
05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm with Sherri on this one--go for DDP. It sounds like you're in for an adventure! We used the "down" times of meals to cool down, relax, replan etc. Also, I had a different interactive thing to do at the table each day--Disney themed of course:) Apples to Apples(just the cards), trivia cards pulled out of trivial pursuit, disney bingo etc. Kids didn't know which one was in the backpack for the day, so it was always new and different. Made it fun for the younger ones too!
Lynne

jonahbear2006
05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun to do card games at the table. I love the idea of trying some of the restaurants that are still new to us. As for the Deluxe Dining plan for 16 nights, that will never happen..That is $4000 on food! I am already having a hard time convincing hubby to get a ddp at all considering we are camping and the original plan was to eat at the campsite the entire trip. Our accommodations are only about $1100 for 16nights so watching the food cost soar way above that, as it is, is a sticker shock for him. We also have a daughter who is actually an adult so she is gonna cost us a pretty penny and we will never get her to eat her money's worth. What I meant by the Food and wine was the snacks. With 6 of us (and I would register the baby as a 3 yr old so he has food bc we are passholders and so i can do that) we would have 192 snacks for the trip with the quick service plan. So many things to consider. Im so confused.

DizneyRox
05-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Register the baby as a 3 year old, and you're buying park tickets too for them. With the good comes the bad...

VWL Mom
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Have you given thought to a TIW card and GG combo? You could make the kids a big breakfast before venturing out, pack snacks for while you are at the parks (check out GG bulk section), and then have an early TS dinner using TIW card. May be something to consider.

jonahbear2006
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
I was told that with passholders that this was a possibility to register the baby as a 3 yr old to get the dining but he doesnt need a ticket for the park bc the dining and park tickets were not combined. Now if i bought a package, this would have to be done but he is 10mths right now so he is very visibly NOT 3 years old. If it isnt possible, then that is fine I wont do it, but i had heard from others that this has been done and is ok to do if you were dvc or passholders and we are both. Perhaps wrong info?? anyone know?
Bravo on the TIW card. why had I not considered that? thats a great idea! I will take that under advisement and consider that idea greatly! that would allow me to eat signature meals without using double credits.

DizneyRox
05-19-2011, 06:24 AM
What you're asking is 1/2 the time it's OK to claim they are 3, but the other 1/2 you're claiming he/she's not. That is the problem. To be fair, they are either 3 or they are not, at the turnstyle or the restaurants. I understand the turnstyle is not affiliated to the restaurant POS kiosk, but morally speaking, they should be whatever age you are claiming all the time.

That's how I roll anyway...

I'm 100% for calling a child 3 or 10 if they need better food choices, but I would get a matching ticket for them as well. As I said, it's only fair to Disney.

And I agree with the TiW as well. With that many people, most of them children however, TiW "should" get you a much greater savings. It saves us money (family of 3) just a few days into our vacation, spread out with that many people and that long of a trip, I don't think you could NOT save more money. Provided you're doing a lot of TS restaurants and not just ordering snacks or CS all the time.

jonahbear2006
05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I guess I dont really see it that way. I see it more as by registering him as 3 with the reservation they are getting $12 a day that they wouldnt be getting and by not getting him a ticket, well they arent out anything bc he didnt need a ticket to begin with. but its not even an issue really. we will probably go with the tables in wonderland idea. I like the sit down dinners better and this will allow us to eat at a broader range of restaurants and order what we like instead of sticking to the dining plan options only.