PDA

View Full Version : Disapointed in large group dining.

KAT1811
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the way Disney plans large group dining ADRs. We are mostly a group of 20 during our trip (starting off with 7, then 20, then going up to 22 and then 26 for a few days). When I called I was able to book most of our dining plans over the phone (none online as the most they would allow booking for was 10). I had trouble booking 1900 Park Fare (dinner), Via Napoli (dinner), and Mama Melrose's (dinner), and Portobello (dinner). All four of the aforementioned restaurants I had to call directly.

None of which I was able to speak to when I called. After 5 attempted calls I left a message at 1900 which was returned 4 days later, I spoke with someone at Via Napoli who was supposed to have a manager call me back (never heard back from them at all), Mama Melrose's called me back 4 days later, Portobello put me through to private party planning who called me back 3 days later.

I ended up breaking our group into 2 smaller groups (3 groups in the case of Via Napoli) in order to get what we were looking for. I understand having to deal with a different department but think they should have someone on hand to make those reservations in a timely manner.

When I did speak to someone from 1900 Park Fare they said the only time I could book a dinner reservation for that many people was for 4:30pm other than that they wouldn't be able to accomodate us in the same area. I told him I'd rather keep my 2 reservations later on in the evening and deal with eating in different areas.

Still no call back from Via Napoli, and I kept the original 2 reservations at Portobello and Mama's as they worked out much better. I never bothered to call Portobello back as I am not interested in booking a private party just a simple dinner for our group. 2 different tables will work fine.

ThanxForNoticin
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I know it can be challenging to make dinner arrangements for a group that big - we do it every few years when our entire family goes (usually 19-22 people). There are not that many restaurants at Disney who can (or want to) put that many people together at the same table. But one thing I will tell you - Portobello is one that we've really had a lot of success and very enjoyable experiences with our larger group. We did have to call the restaurant directly, but we were able to make arrangements that worked out great - we all sat at the same table. Good luck with your planning, and have a great trip....

TheRustyScupper
05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
1) I don't know how far in advance you tried to make ADR's.
2) We have groups of 13-19 and usually do 175-180 days out.
3) Have never had a problem.

NOTE: I some eateries, they could not combine tables. But, they placed us close to each other.

KAT1811
05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
180 days out @ 7:00am. I didn't have a problem with all the restaurants only some of them. The CM I spoke with booked all the restaurants the system would allow her to. The issues began when we became the party of 20, apparently Tutto Italia and Via Napoli can book up to 14 people, 1900 Park Fare and Mama Melrose up to 19 people and I'm not sure how many Portobello could book but 20 was too large a group.

At this point I'm okay with separate tables as long as we are in the same eatery at the same time. Let's face it, there isn't a table I know of that the opposite ends will ever be able to hold a conversation. ;)

DisneyMom12
05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I feel they should make it easier for large groups to arrange dining. The cast members that book Grand Gatherings, should also be able to assist with all ADR's , not just the GG Experiences. It took me 3 hours to book the ADR's for my upcoming trip, and Akershus took 3 days to give me definite conformation.

buzznwoodysmom
05-16-2011, 06:16 PM
We've had a party of 20 once. While we didn't book all our meals together we did have about 3 or 4 for the entire party and I don't remember having any problems booking. In some cases we were seated at different tables, but that's to be expected. Ohana's has always been a great place for our larger party. We've done Ohana's with a big party at least 4 or 5 times now and have always been seated together.

KAT1811
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
We're there for 2 weeks, 10 days as a party of 20+. We have a meal booked for just about every day (with the exception of 2 nights). I only had trouble with a few.

'Ohana was the first ADR I made! :mickey: :thumbsup: No trouble making that one! :cloud9: