PDA

View Full Version : Keepin' a secret....

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 02:44 PM
...from my husband! And, it's killing me that I can't tell him. :blush:

Preface this with: DH is a HUGE Star Wars fan. Huge.

Okay, on Friday, DH is flying up to San Francisco to spend the weekend with my sister and her boyfriend. They are all big Oakland A's fans, and got some amazing seats at the upcoming A's vs. SF Giants game on Friday night. So, he's going up for that.

What he doesn't know is, on Friday afternoon, he is going to go on a tour of
SKYWALKER RANCH!!!! For those of you who know anything about the Star Wars universe, you'll understand how big of a deal this is.

He will also get to visit ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) at the Presidio.

He has NO idea. My sister's boyfriend's brother (whew!) got hired as a graphic artist by Lucas Arts a few months ago, and when his internship was over last month, he was hired permanently! So, they have "access" there now. :thumbsup:

He thinks he's going wine tasting. My sister said the ranch is in the middle of nowhere, on the way to Napa, and he'll be convinced up until the part where they get to the security guard booth and are told to "park by the Yoda fountain."

He's gonna flip! I can't wait to hear his reaction when he figures out where he is.

mook3y
05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
...from my husband! And, it's killing me that I can't tell him. :blush:

Preface this with: DH is a HUGE Star Wars fan. Huge.

Okay, on Friday, DH is flying up to San Francisco to spend the weekend with my sister and her boyfriend. They are all big Oakland A's fans, and got some amazing seats at the upcoming A's vs. SF Giants game on Friday night. So, he's going up for that.

What he doesn't know is, on Friday afternoon, he is going to go on a tour of
SKYWALKER RANCH!!!! For those of you who know anything about the Star Wars universe, you'll understand how big of a deal this is.

He will also get to visit ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) at the Presidio.

He has NO idea. My sister's boyfriend's brother (whew!) got hired as a graphic artist by Lucas Arts a few months ago, and when his internship was over last month, he was hired permanently! So, they have "access" there now. :thumbsup:

He thinks he's going wine tasting. My sister said the ranch is in the middle of nowhere, on the way to Napa, and he'll be convinced up until the part where they get to the security guard booth and are told to "park by the Yoda fountain."

He's gonna flip! I can't wait to hear his reaction when he figures out where he is.

OMG, he is going to freak out! :D I hope he writes a review on here when he gets back!

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 03:29 PM
OMG, he is going to freak out! :D I hope he writes a review on here when he gets back!

LOL! Luckily, he's not an Intercotee. If he was, I wouldn't have been able to blab this little secret here. ;)

But, I'll let you all know how it goes. He's going to be a like a kid on Christmas morning!

Ian
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a good friend who works for ILM, Nat. The Ranch is supposed to be an amazing place. DH is going to be in his glory!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
That is too cool! I hope he has a GREAT time!

caryrae
05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
So do they have horses at this Ranch?

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Um, no. But they might have a Speeder bike!

It's the Mecca of Star Wars geeks. It's where George Lucas has all his stuff "headquartered". It's full of original movie props and a Star Wars museum, and a bunch of other cool stuff. It's the home of Lucas Film and Lucas Arts.

caryrae
05-15-2011, 04:31 PM
:D I always thought it would be a cool place to see. So the only way to see it is if you know somebody on the inside?

Mufasa
05-15-2011, 04:34 PM

One would expect to find Banthas (it is a little too warm to keep Tauntauns).

Seriously though, there are animals at the ranch (cows and horses) and they also grow grapes for Viandante del Cielo (literally "sky walker" in Italian) which is a wine produced by Francis Ford Coppola's Niebaum-Coppola winery.

The grounds of the ranch are beautiful, and the interior of their research library on the grounds is stunning.

And while there are some neat props in display cases in the main building at Skywalker Ranch, there arguably is more to be seen for the Star Wars fan wandering the halls of the LDAC (Letterman Digital Arts Center at the Presidio).

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
And while there are some neat props in display cases in the main building at Skywalker Ranch, there arguably is more to be seen for the Star Wars fan wandering the halls of the LDAC (Letterman Digital Arts Center at the Presidio).

Luckily for DH, he gets to visit both places! My sister lives very close to the Presidio, and they've gone over there a few times. My DH has seen their pictures and is so jealous. ;)

Mufasa
05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Luckily for DH, he gets to visit both places! My sister lives very close to the Presidio, and they've gone over there a few times. My DH has seen their pictures and is so jealous. ;)

Anyone can visit part of the grounds of the LDAC (and their Yoda fountain outside), and if you ask nicely enough usually the security guards will allow you to come into the lobby of the main building and take pictures (Darth Vader and Boba Fett can be found there).

Especially in the summer it can be pretty funny to see all of the Star Wars themed wedding ceremonies that are held on the grounds.

Also, there are often public screenings run in their theater for various organizations so if you have the chance to catch a screening it is well worth it (the theater is state of the art, and you'll find lots of movie memorabilia like posters of films that were influential to George Lucas outside).

However, some of the special items you have to know someone to get to see, or if you want to enjoy a cup of coffee at the Javva the Hutt cafe, the dining commons (where they'll often feature stuff grown/raised at Skywalker Ranch) or the employee store.

And of course a visit to the Presidio can also include a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

RedSoxFan
05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
How awesome for your DH!! Hope he has a great time!!:)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I hope he has a great time. He's going to be so excited! Too bad you can't get video of it.

brownie
05-16-2011, 07:37 AM
That's an awesome surprise! I think he'll enjoy it!

darthmacho
05-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Phew, I thought you were going to say you were having an affair with Chewbacca or something... :chewy: :secret:

Seriously, nice secret. One of my favorite surprises ever was tickets to see the original trilogy at the Wang in Boston for my birthday. I imagine your gift will be even better. Good luck, and have fun! :trooper:

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I am very very very jealous .... but I think WOW what a great surprise for your husband! I hope it is everything you hope it will be and more! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
So, DH is at the Ranch right now. He's a VERY happy guy!

He just texted me that he just saw John Lasseter!
:thumbsup: