PDA

View Full Version : Best deluxe resort with a toddler?

ANG
05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Which deluxe resort do you feel is the most interesting to little kids?

What about proximity to the parks and other points of interest?

We'll be going with a 2 yr old

spoiledraf
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
If you plan on using the pool, the zero entry pool at Stormalong bay at the Beach Club with a sand bottom is great. We spent hours with my grandson there when he was two.

Convienient to Epcot and DHS. Cape May Cafe has great character breakfast with Minnie, Goofey and Donald. We enjoyed it.

SBETigg
05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
The Polynesian, for the ease of transportation and proximity to the MK. You can roll strollers right on to the monorail, but you also have the boat launch, and then you're close to the TTC/monorail to Epcot as well. Also, Captain Cook's, the counter service place, is open 24 hours. There are great shops, restaurants, and playing in the sand on the beach is usually very popular with the toddler set. The zero entry pool is also great for wading in with little ones. Not to mention you can watch MK fireworks right there on the beach at night. The sights and sounds of the MK so close make it a magical stay.

AmandaChan
05-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I am going with a toddler and we'll be staying in a moderate but if I was going to stay in a deluxe then I would probably stay in poly.. only because of the monorail.. any conveniance to the MK or EPCOT can always be a plus. plus I have seen people just walk right onto the monorail with their strollers out I don't know if this is the common practice or what is always allowed but I've seen it done when it wasn't too busy.

JenniferS.
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I love the Contemporary!! You can walk to MK in about 5 min. which is really good instead of waiting in lines to catch the monarail. Plus you can take the monarail to Epcot. I love that you can roll a sleeping child in a stroller right onto the monarail. The Contemporary has Chef Mickey's in it which is a cute character meal!! I would be staying there this oct/nov if we didn't have a party of 7 going.

Ian
05-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Truth is, you really can't go wrong with any of them. I think I've stayed at most, if not all, of the deluxes with kids around 2 and they've pretty much loved them all.

The only one I might steer clear of would be the Grand Floridian. Not because people frown on kids there or anything, but more because the theming is just a bit adult and doesn't really resonate very well with kids.

If I had to choose from a few, I think I'd narrow it down to Poly (great pool/monorail access), Beach Club (best pool on property), or Wilderness Lodge (kids seem to dig the theming/close to MK).

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I think the Beach Club is an amazing resort for toddlers, if pool time is a possibility (if you are going in the cold months, probably not much of a factor). We stayed there and our boys were a bit older (3 and 5), and they loved Stormalong Bay! They had a lot of company in the "under 5" set that was also having a blast, particularly in the "sandbar" area.

I think the MK resorts monorail access is overrated. The only one I'd recommend with young kids is Contemporary, because then you also have the option to walk to MK. However, I HATE the transport from Epcot back to the monorail resorts. It's not direct, and that's annoying. Even if you stay at the Polynesian, you have a fairly long walk back to the room from the TTC (if you opt to do that vs. transfer to the resort monorail loop). I hated getting back to the Contemporary from Epcot last time we stayed there, because there is no quick way to do it.

The Epcot resort area is the best of both worlds, I think. The area is visually appealing for kids with lots of activities going on. It's a 5 min walk into Epcot, and a short 15 min bus ride to MK. There are also excellent recreational opportunities nearby, including the marina, bike rental (2 year olds love riding in the front of the surrey bikes!), and mini golf within walking distance.

In addition, Epcot at night is a lot of fun for little ones. The World Showcase plays really fun, upbeat music (different in every country), once it gets dark and all the lights and stuff are entertaining for toddlers.

catkrazy
05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Personal opinion, for just convienence alone is the Contemporary. My DNewphew loved it and it is so nice to just push the stroller on the monorail instead of folding it down. He never had to get out of it! Also on nights when leaving the park was like a mob scene, the short walk over from the MK was awesome. Casey slept in his stroller and we didn't have to wait in any lines.

Disney-4-Me
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I have stayed at both the Contemporary and the Polynesian with toddlers. Both of these resorts are perfect with little ones because of the convenience of the monorail. We always spend more time at the Magic Kingdom so we prefer staying at a MK resort.

I loved staying at the Polynesian more than the Contemporary when our boys were little because they loved going to the pool. It is so easy to walk out of your longhouse along the path and be at the pool. Our favorite location is the ground floor of Samoa facing the Nanea Volcano Pool.

There are 2 pools to choose from but the volcano pool has a zero entry end. Ducks sometimes wander the grounds. That was entertaining for our boys.

You can also see the Electric Water Pageant from the beach in the evening. The fireworks over the MK are enchanting (and not so loud) from the Polynesian grounds also.

The Poly just fit our needs perfectly!

ANG
05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
We went last November with our son and he was only 20 months then. We stayed at Bay Lake because that's our home base as DVC members. I loved the monorail from the Contemporary.

So I do agree the monorail access can't be beat. But we were thinking about trying others just ot spice things up.

magicalmom
05-15-2011, 07:46 PM
AKL - zero entry pool, exotic theme, storytelling, animals, animals, animals!

debbymc4
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for my son's second birthday. The water launch to the MK was fabulous.

AgentP
05-16-2011, 10:07 AM
We stayed at the Polynesian when my dd was a toddler. It was great to be able to hop on the monorail. She also enjoyed watching the fireworks from the beach and playing in the sand. Her favorite part of the resort was watching ducks. That is the great thing about toddlers, they are happy with the littlest things:mickey:

VWL Mom
05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
IMO Wilderness Lodge is great for little ones. When mine were young we spent time on the beach and at the playground. It also has a lot of trails to walk (great for strollers) and follow the bear footprints. Mine are 16 and 19 and still follow the bear, luckily they haven't found him yet!

Mickey'sGirl
05-16-2011, 10:34 AM
We stayed at the Boardwalk, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge when our youngest was a toddler. Although the Boardwalk is my favourite :blush: ... I do think the Poly is the best for a toddler. We loved the inclined pool and the easy access to 2 parks using the Monorail (pushed him right on in his stroller!). As the deluxes go, we found the Wilderness Lodge to be dark and cramped when we had all the kid stuff in the room. It would be far down my list.

AgentC
05-17-2011, 02:31 AM
My children are 3 and 5. DD jut turned 3 this month so most of her trips were when she was 1-2.

Here are my impressions.

Poly- Pros- Very convenient to MK. Pool is nice. Good quick service. Can see MK fireworks.Character breakfast Cons- no playground (at least when I was there). Rooms in separate buildings (not attached to main building)

Wilderness Lodge- Pros- great atmosphere( my kids really enjoyed the water running through the lobby). lots of activities at kids club. Boat ride to MK. can see MK fireworks. Cons- Boat ride to MK (may need to fold stroller) , room may be really far from lobby.

BLT Pros- walk to MK, easy monorail access. lots of food options. Pool area. My kids really enjoyed the squirting fountains. Can see MK fireworks. Cons- not a lot of outdoor playing areas

AKL-Jambo Pros- zero entry pool. Animals. African story time. Good playground. Cons- a bit dark. Not as convenient to MK, Epcot or DHS. Need car or use bus.

Beach Club,, Yacht Club, Beach Club Villas Pros-Pool area. DD daughter adored the sand area as well as the kiddie pool. Beach. Lots of activities.Character breakfast. Can see Epcot fireworks. Walk to Epcot, Boat to DHS. Cons- limited quick serve breakfast options

My personal favorite right now is Beach Club/Yacht Club followed by BLT and WL.
AKL is just a little far from the action for us and we are just not Poly people. However I think any of them are worth a try. You really can't go wrong. :)

minnie-mouse
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Definitely the Polynesian for the ease of monorail use to MK and Epcot. Also, the zero entry pool and beach keep a toddler busy for hours.

Inside The Magic
05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=ANG;2169888]Which deluxe resort do you feel is the most interesting to little kids?

What about proximity to the parks and other points of interest?

All the Disney resorts will appeal to children. many have special activities like story telling, crafts and other thinngs so you can visit most of them if you like.

magic kingdom will obviously have the most things your two year old will enjoy. All the parks do but you'll be there more than most of the others. The monorail offers great convenience to the magic Kingdom. Epcot you have to transfer to another monorail and it's a pain. Every else is bus.

But look at it at this angle. You have a toddler. Future vacations as they are older they will have different interest and motoring on their own. Also a two year old is free in the parks. Next time you will pay for admission so your cost will escalate. Maybe a second child, additional cost. After 10 park admission is as an adult. After 12 dining is as an adult.

Then add more plane tickets so as your family grows and becomes older you will have additional cost that you don't have today. So enjoy the monorail resorts this trip. Choose the one that appeals to you the most.

Enjoy!