PDA

View Full Version : Good school backpacks

TheVBs
05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Every year we buy the girls cutesy, character backpacks for school. And at the end of every school year, they look like they've been through a war. They're torn, have broken zippers and look dingy. I've just gotten tired of replacing them! Any suggestions for good, long lasting backpacks? Thanks! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
I know people who have bought backpacks from LL Bean, Land's End, and Pottery Barn Kids, or PB Teen, who have said they last very well. For a cheaper alternative try The Children's Place. I've always bought my kids backpacks there. They started out with the smaller ones for PreK and Kindergarten. When they moved to 1st grade we upgraded to the bigger ones. We've used them on our WDW trips as well as every day for school and our current backpacks are finishing up their 3rd school year. I think they'll need new ones for next year, but still 3 years is great considering I paid less than $20!

alphamommy
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Here's my :twocents:, based on our experience:

Up until last year, we'd done the same thing - a cute character pack that fell apart before the year was out.

Before school started in 2009, a friend was telling me that she'd ordered a Land's End BP for her son a few years ago, and she called back to order a new one. She no longer had the receipt or anything, but based on her description of the failure (I think the zipper broke), the operator told her they have a lifetime warranty, and sent a new one at no cost!

We ordered DD's from Land's End, and it's finishing its second school year looking almost the same as it did when we got it! The only difference is that it's a little dirty, but the zippers still work, the stitching is still solid, and I'm hoping we can make it through at least one year of middle school with it.

They aren't cheap, but compared to the cost of the character ones every year, we've actually saved money in the long run!

RedSoxFan
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
My kids have always used LLBean backpacks for school. Can get a few years out of them. However, DD14, just got a North Face one as she thought the light blue LLBean was babyish and didn't want it for high school next year. Hard to say how it will hold up as she's had it for a month. But the boys have North Face for college and they are fine.

Tinkerfreak
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I have always got my girls the L.L. Bean backpacks and the ones from kindergarden are still in excellent condition. The one year I cheaped out and bought a Jansport it didn't even last the school year and the zipper broke the fabric tore and it just wasn't good quality. Their grammy who retired from L.L. Bean a few years ago always bought them new backpacks for the start of school but they didn't really need them. They just wanted bigger bags as they got bigger and needed to carry more books.

Basket Mommy
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I'll second the Lands' End recommendation. My kids had their backpacks last year and I was able to empty them and hang them back in the closet for use again. Plus, as another poster said, they replace anything of theirs that breaks, no questions asked. If you get on their email list you can pick up some good coupons, too.

ElenitaB
05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
My DS has used Land's End backpacks and their down jackets since daycare (he's now in high school). Many jackets have long since been handed down and they're still going strong. Same for the backpacks and lunchboxes. He also used their shoes for school for many years, and they stood up in great shape until he grew out of them.

They make a solid product and stand behind it.

BrerGnat
05-14-2011, 04:10 PM
My kids use Pottery Barn Kids packs, only because we can get them at 40% through a family discount. They are excellent quality though! They are often on sale online.

citizensnoopy
05-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I have two Jansport backpacks --- one is from the beginning of college (10 years ago --- I think I got it at Costco for 20 bucks) and is still in excellent shape, even after lugging heavy textbooks for many years! The other is newer (maybe 5 years old) and is also in great shape. Plus, Jansport backpacks have a lifetime warranty. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
05-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Roots and Swiss Army Knife backpacks have served us well. We just replaced our DS12's Roots pack after 3 years of boy use ... and the zippers etc. were all still intact.

kakn7294
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM
We've bought our girls backpacks made by Jansport and they last forever. The darker colors wear better of course - not showing the dirt as quickly as the light ones do. They can be found almost anywhere that sells backpacks. Our last ones came from Target.

Georgesgirl1
05-15-2011, 08:54 AM
We aren't at the stage for backpacks yet, but ODS has a Pottery Barn Kids lunch box that has held up really well. I have a Land's End diaper bag and they are really good about replacing things if they break. I also still have my Jansport backpack from my freshman year of college (11 years ago), and we use it as a diaper bag when we go to the zoo or Disney World, so it has held up pretty well too :mickey:

princessjojo
05-15-2011, 09:23 AM
We've used lots of different backpacks over the years (Jansport, Swiss Army, LLBean, The North Face, and most recently Oakley). I've been most pleased with the LLBean and The North Face bags, but the boys felt the Bean bag wasn't "as cool" anymore. The Oakley bag fit the cool quality, but not the financial... hope it last for them. Anyways, the only issues we've had with them was their ability to hold smell and dirt. Good thing they go thru the wash well. Zippers are in tact and stitching still looks like new.

kaylamag
05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
I only buy backpacks made by Dickies. I haven't had one fall apart yet. I get them at Spencers or Hot topic at the mall. They have all sizes. I got my oldest daughter a mini messanger bag in kindergarten (she is in fifth grade now) she used it for a few years and now my youngest is using it for kindergarten. They clean up nice too.

lovewalt
05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
LL Bean!!! I bought one for my daughter when she started Kindergarten and it's in it's 3rd year of use.It's been through everyday school use,traveled to WDW and even survived a week at Girl Scout camp.
Her grandmother bought her a cutesy "cheapo" backpack to start school with this year.As soon as she needed to start carrying snowpants and winter gear the zipper busted out,so back to the LL Bean backpack we went.
I also bought my niece an LL Bean pack when she started Kindergarten.She's in high school now and although she doesn't use it for school anymore,it is still in good condition!

TheVBs
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tips! I've signed up for email notices for all the places suggested here. I'll keep an eye out and hopefully get a good deal on a sturdy backpack that will last them more than one year. The last two I bought have not even lasted through this year!

WDWFanatic
05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
If you have an LL Bean store near you that is the best bet. I got a misprinted one, took the the monogram stitching out and you couldn't tell. Best of all it was much cheaper than the retail price.

Carol
05-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Been through many years of backpack buying. Definitely LL Bean.