View Full Version : Tiki Family July Pre-Trip Report

TikiGoddess
05-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Tiki Family Pre-trip Report 2011

Cast of Characters:
TikiG, 38, Mom, WDW fan
DH, 43, Dad, loves to see his girls happy
DD8, Julie, scientist and all-around great girl
DD6, Katie, aka Figment (mischievous and creative)

When: mid-July for 10 days
Where: 5 days in Seminole, FL (near Clearwater ) and 5 days at WDW

It’s that time of year again!! Pre-Trip Report from the Tiki Family!

Pre-Disney:

Plans are pretty much the same as usual – which I am totally okay with! I never thought I would be the kind of person who would be happy doing the same vacation every year. I love to travel and see new places… but there is something to be said for tradition. We have so many great memories in Florida , as our girls have grown up over the years. It seems like yesterday that my now-8 yr old was taking her first dip in the Gulf. I look forward to our time in Florida all year long.

We’ll be staying with my in-laws in Seminole which is about 3 minutes from the Gulf. We’ll spend the days swimming, playing on the beach, visiting, going to the Lowry Park Zoo, and relaxing. My husband will be going to a ballgame with his Dad – Rays vs. Yankees. I cannot wait to be at the beach. New England beaches don’t cut it when you’re used to warm water, sandy beaches, and bright blue skies.

Disney Plan:

Early Saturday morning, we will pack up the car and head over to Orlando ! Sunrise over Tampa Bay is something to behold. The plan is to drive directly to Epcot or AK (whichever we decide on the drive over, probably Epcot). We have tickets that we purchased in 2007, so we don’t have to go to the hotel to get our passes. When we get too hot and tired, we’ll head over to AKL and check in with the concierge. Then we’ll do pool time and possibly spend the night at the resort, so we’ll be well-rested for our special morning the next day.

Sunday is Magic Kingdom morning. The family tradition is to start the day with Crystal Palace breakfast-before-the-park-opens. Nothing better than walking down the empty Main Street …. Seeing the castle for the first time during the trip… and of course, all-you-can-eat Mickey waffles.

The general plan is to visit a park in the morning, avoiding EMH. Last year we tried to make it to the parks with morning EMH but since we had been up late the night before, it took us longer to get going in the morning than usual. So this year we’ll take our time in the morning and have enough time to arrive at regular park opening. Afternoons will be spent at the pool or taking a nap in the room. We’re leaving the evenings open so we can be flexible and do what we like. Last year’s trip was too busy. This year we’ll take it easy and while we have a basic plan, there’s plenty of room for improvisation.

Monday: morning park (most likely Studios or AK)
Tuesday: park day (whichever park we haven’t been to yet)
Wednesday: departure day (but we’ll most likely do a park in the morning/early afternoon)

Accommodations:
Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge Level

When I originally booked the trip, I got a teacher’s rate at the Dolphin. We had never stayed there before and were won over by the location, the dining options, and the great rate. But then Disney released their deluxe discounts… and after weighing the many options, we decided to upgrade to AKL. We had stayed there in 2009 for 2 nights, and all of us enjoyed it. This time we’ll have the added benefit of the concierge lounge. We figure the extra money that we’re paying will cover breakfasts, snacks, and possibly some suppers, as we are light eaters and can make a meal out of lounge offerings. We’re not on the dining plan this time.

Dining:

In an effort to keep this trip flexible and spontaneous, we only have 3 dining reservations – and we might not even use them. One night we’ll have the option of going to Tokyo Dining for sushi and cocktails. Sunday morning we will definitely keep our tradition of breakfast at the Crystal Palace before the park opens. There’s no way I’m missing breakfast in the Magic Kingdom with Tigger and Pooh! We also have a reservation for lunch at 50’s Prime Time. I’ve never been there, and it sounds like a great experience. I bet the kids will get a kick out of Daddy being told to eat all of his vegetables. ;)

Goals for this year’s trip:

Have a tropical drink while relaxing by the pool.
Finally earn 999,999 on Buzz Lightyear without the ride stopping.
Try Kim Possible in Epcot. I think the girls will like this.
Spend some time in AK, so the kids can talk to CMs and learn about zookeeping etc. They are both interested in learning about vets and jobs involving animals.
Sit on the balcony and watch the animals graze.
After years of trying, finally catch the golf ball in Soarin’.

Possible first time experiences for the girls this trip:

Lights, Motor, Action show
Backlot Tour
Animation Academy
New Star Tours Ride!!
Expedition Everest
Festival of the Lion King
Primeval Whirl
Voices of Liberty (one of my all-time favorite performing groups)
Main Street Electrical Parade

Pluses for our trip:

Tinker Bell gold coins: Each trip, Tink leaves the girls chocolate coins hidden around the hotel room every morning. It’s a great way to get the kids moving in the morning, and a good excuse to have chocolate with breakfast.

Coupons: I made up a book of coupons for each child. The coupons say things like “buy a snack”, “pick the next ride”, “make Daddy do the Goofy dance”, etc. The kids will receive these at the beginning of the trip and use them whenever they want. I’m hoping it will let them feel like they have some control over the trip, chase away the grumpies, and keep everyone laughing. (yes, I’m a teacher in real life. Can you tell?)

Scavenger hunt: I found a scavenger hunt online for AKL. It looks like a nice activity to do our first night there, so the kids can explore the hotel and see what it has to offer.

Treat in room: I would really like to have something waiting in our room when we arrive, but Disney Florist is too expensive… any ideas? I’ll take any suggestions…

Thanks for reading!
Kathy

slegrant
05-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Sounds like it will be an incredible trip. I too love Crystal Palace for breaKfast, especially Mickey Waffles:mickey:

MinnieMommie
05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Sounds like fun Kathy! There will be so much for your girls to do at AKL! Try to catch the night time viewing/ night vision animal viewing. The CMs are really good about spending quality time explaining things and answering questions. Not sure if you have done the story time around the outside fire pit but the girls will like that too. Really there are many child oriented activities for kids at AKL.

Disney Florist can be pricey. Maybe you can bring something special (t shirts, stuffed animal, or something special you know they want) wrap it up fancy and ask the CM to place on their beds before you check in. That would be a real surprise! Look forward to reading about your trip. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a great plan

Mousefever
05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Kathy, you know I'd never go to DW in the middle of summer, but for you, I'll come down to watch the girls while you and Tim do Tokyo Dining. :mickey:

Yay for AKL Club Level! I'm sure the girls will love seeing all the animals there and doing the activities around the lodge. We listened to a presentation by a former Zambian Park Ranger when we stayed there. I'm so excited for you guys!

Your park plan sounds great! That's exactly what we did on our last trip (no EMH, evenings flexible), and it worked well. You're such an overachiever with the Buzz scoring goal! Lol

I can't wait to hear about each day in depth when you come home!

Amy

ElenitaB
05-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Kathy, your plans sound great!

With the interest the girls have in the vet sciences, have you asked about the Sunrise Safari. When we went, a lot of time was spent on how the animals are cared for (you see where they live offstage on the way in). It really was a great experience and it's only open to AKL concierge desks.

As for a special treat in the room for when you arrive, I'd suggest giving the concierge desk a call. They might have some non-Disney Florist ideas.

faline
05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Your plans sound wonderful! Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great place to stay!

DisneyorBust
05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Excellent plans for what I'm sure will be a fantastic vacation! I love the "Pluses" section of your report, such great ideas!
Have a wonderful vacation!

RedSoxFan
05-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Your plans sound wonderful. Have a great time!! Love AKL.:mickey:

princessgirls
05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Kathy,

you have planned a wonderful trip!!!

I hope you meet all your vacation goals. :marg:

I like your idea about a coupon book!!!

Enjoy!

Julie:mickey:

emerzmom
05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I love the coupon book idea!

KylesMom
05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Kathy, it looks like you may be down at Disney the same time we are - except we'll be at WL instead of AKL!

Plans look great - definitely sounds like you're slowing it down & "smelling the roses" this trip. Great idea about the coins & coupons, too!

As far as a treat in the room, that's a tough one. I'm actually trying to figure out something for DH for our 20th anniversary without breaking the bank.

I know you're going to have a great time! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
07-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Original poster update:

We are currently enjoying day 4 of our 10 day vacation. Tampa has been beautiful -- we went to the zoo today and have spent two mornings at the beach. Tonight my hubby and I are going to the NYY/Rays game. (Go Rays!)

Tomorrow we'll make another trip over to the beach, then pack up and head to WDW early Saturday morning. We're going to Epcot the first morning, then checking in at AKL early afternoon.

We have wi-fi this trip so I'll be able to update as we go!

Kathy

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Have fun

Suz36
07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Your plans sound great! When you mentioned your girls' interest in animals, it made me think of Rafiki's Planet Watch. Have you ever made it over there early in the morning to catch one of the animal examinations/treatments? We've been lucky enough to see a lion and tiger - it was amazing!

Hope you continue to have a magical vacation!

January-2007
07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for reporting!

Dsnygirl
07-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Kathy, it sounds like a great trip -- and loved that you checked in midway through, to let us know how it's going!

How fun to be at AKL... we love it there, and look forward to going back at some point. The scavenger hunt sounds like a great idea!

My older DD is looking to pick the brains of the CM's at AK this year, as well... can you warn them that they have another aspiring veterinary student on the way?? :D

Have fun at your CP breakfast tomorrow morning... it's how we start our trips, as well -- nothing better! :cloud9:

Sounds like you guys have a very nice relaxing time planned -- have fun, and don't fall out of that hang-glider catching that golf ball!! ;)

lettripp
07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I love the coupon idea... and as a fellow teacher I can almost guarantee I will do something similar with our kids someday :mickey: Glad you are enjoying your trip!