PDA

View Full Version : Toy story mania and star tours 2

momof3+twins
05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
So, what do you all think:
1st ride: toy story or star tours?
I am worried about which will have longest waits in June.

PopPhan
05-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I would say, in June, flip a coin....They will most probably BOTH have very long lines.

My suggestion would be to get to the park at opening, go get a FastPass for one and go across the park and get in the Stand-By line for the other.

By the time you get to ride the one you are in Stand-By for, your FastPass should be ready for the other.

BrerGnat
05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
My guess is that Star Tours will have WAY longer lines, simply because it doesn't have the same rider capacity (per hour) as Toy Story does.

I'd head to Star Tours first, get a FP, and then do standby for Toy Story.

ransam
05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
personally i'd do one in the morning, enjoy your day. then get in line 1 minute before the park closes for the other. that way, by the time you're don w/ the ride most of the crowd will gone and you can take your time as you exit.

gerald72
05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I would think that star tours would have the greater ride capacity, therefore a shorter line.

idolfan1
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Toy Story Mania:number1::marg:

gerald72
05-12-2011, 05:35 PM
While we don’t know the particulars of Star Tours 3D, we do know that its previous iteration had six individual ride vehicles/theaters that each had a capacity of 40 people.* With a ride length of about five minutes, plus three minutes to change audiences, the attraction could theoretically move through about 1,800 people per hour if necessary.* Usually, fewer theaters/ride vehicles were operating at any given time, but the capacity was available when needed.* To compare, Toy Story Mania moves through less than 1,000 people per hour (and closer to about 850

darthmacho
05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
While we don’t know the particulars of Star Tours 3D, we do know that its previous iteration had six individual ride vehicles/theaters that each had a capacity of 40 people.* With a ride length of about five minutes, plus three minutes to change audiences, the attraction could theoretically move through about 1,800 people per hour if necessary.* Usually, fewer theaters/ride vehicles were operating at any given time, but the capacity was available when needed.* To compare, Toy Story Mania moves through less than 1,000 people per hour (and closer to about 850

Nice number crunching! I'm thinking the repeatability factor of both rides will make them both have long lines. At least it will make getting on ToT and RnR a lot easier...:mickey:

Disney-4-Me
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I'd start with Toy Story first and get a fast pass as soon as I could for Star Tours. I also do the 1 minute before closing jump into a line trick.:thumbsup:

joanna71985
05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Star Tours has a better rider-per-hour capacity then Toy Story. That being said...both will be VERY crowded. I probably would get fast passes for Star Tours first though (as it's the newer ride).

BrerGnat
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Even if Star Tours can handle more people per hour, you can bet that there will be WAY more people interested in riding Star Tours this summer than Toy Story.

I'd honestly count on HUGE waits for Star Tours, and plan to get FP on that one if you can.

I don't know how much of the Star Tours queue will be indoors, and at least the Toy Story one is mostly indoors in A/C. I'd rather wait standby inside...and the Toy Story line is fun!

MOJoe
05-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Even if Star Tours can handle more people per hour, you can bet that there will be WAY more people interested in riding Star Tours this summer than Toy Story.

I'd honestly count on HUGE waits for Star Tours, and plan to get FP on that one if you can.

I don't know how much of the Star Tours queue will be indoors, and at least the Toy Story one is mostly indoors in A/C. I'd rather wait standby inside...and the Toy Story line is fun!

Not to hijack the thread, but i want to comment about all this.

First, ride capacity. Star Tours should be able to handle large crowds. Twice the amount of Toy Story is probably about right. That is if all 6 simulators are working. As of now, or as of opening day, May 20th, reports are leaking out that only 3 simulators will be installed and working. That's going to make for huge lines at ST2. How fast Disney can get the other 3 simulators functional? Not sure. But it most likely will be at least few weeks after May 20th.

Second, the queue. The Ewok village outside has seen a facelift. But it remains virtually the same. There are signs outside which may be removed that point to a soundstage or hot set. But once you go inside, that illusion is gone. Instead we are to believe we have entered a busy spaceport. There are "windows" that show starships arriving, and other aspects of a port. You are also put through some sort of "security checkpoint", which allows for some "fun".
From what i am hearing, this should be one of the most immersive queues in WDW. Can't wait to see it.

MarkC
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Your other option is to rent out the park after it closes. Granted I doubt anyone on this board has the financial ability to do so, but you may be different. And if you have that ability, you are my new best friend.

momof3+twins
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I am so excited about the new star tours Q. Thanks for sharing that info. Two fun Qs in the studios...yay!!! I love it when the kids are having so much fun in line that they don't realize they are in line:-).
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

spoiledraf
05-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Your other option is to rent out the park after it closes. Granted I doubt anyone on this board has the financial ability to do so, but you may be different. And if you have that ability, you are my new best friend.

Just wondering if that is actually possible and has anyone ever done it????

MarkC
05-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes, it does happen. I'm sure some celebrities have done it, but I know companies do it. One of my best friend's wives works for a major US company that did that. It was one of those nights that Magic Kingdom closed at 7pm and no one could figure out why. The employees and their families of that company got to go in after that. He said it was awesome. It is a good company that everyone has heard of and uses their products.

crltkcagle
05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Well we can all pool our money together and have an intercot party! We can rent out the park one night and have it all to ourselves! :mickey:

joanna71985
05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
The queue for Star Tours is a lot of fun (not as fun as Potato Head at TSM, but still fun).

finaldynasty
05-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I would say, in June, flip a coin....They will most probably BOTH have very long lines.

My suggestion would be to get to the park at opening, go get a FastPass for one and go across the park and get in the Stand-By line for the other.

By the time you get to ride the one you are in Stand-By for, your FastPass should be ready for the other.

I agree...get to the park early and use your fast passes.

Christine
05-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Hooray! Soft opening! I'm about to ride---
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UGKQJjXU16M/Tc_sE6lGDEI/AAAAAAAABIE/76XtNqzkK4g/s1600/photo-719441.JPG

No pics allowed inside- they have cm's checking. So I could only do the sign! :blush:

***eta- just finished. Very cool! Let me preface face by saying I have never seen a star wars movie. Ever. Not 5 minutes of one. And I didn't care one way or another for the old ride.

****spoiler alert******

(i don't think there is anything I will say below hasn't been said in press previews, etc but just in case I felt I'd better put a spoiler warning. )

This was fun. The que is awesome- there are robots scanning "our luggage" and even US at the boarding "gate". You see yourself on a infrared screen. :)
The ride itself has sturdier black (not philharmonic or muppet" glasses. After swooping all over space, being shot at, etc we find out that there is a spy from the rebel alliance on board and it shows one of the current passengers! Really funny!!!!
The effects are pretty sharp! I enjoyed it very much.

The alien flight attendant is funny At the end with a "buh-bye"

So it's gonna be a long line this summer! But I daresay toy story will remain worse since there's no height/health/fear issues
Nice ride!

jimsgal05
05-16-2011, 06:46 AM
never been on TSM and ST. I look forward to ST...this sat...going to TSm at the am 9am that is hope for the best with ST...I will have a guest servies card due to medical condition...would this help me at all???...I can't stand for long pr time ..and I would do a scooter but had a mild stroke so my right side isn't as good as it should... But so Look forward to them both, was never on ST old version either...

May the force be with me...:yoda:
If i don't get in well hey next time right?