PDA

View Full Version : Alaska - Just Back from Inaugural Cruise!

DisneyFr33k
05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
It was AMAZING! If anyone is going soon and has questions, let me know!

Wish I was still there.......

marlyn
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi, glad you had a great time!! I am going on Aug 9th cruise.

I was wondering what shore excursions you did? Also, was it very rocky? I had read somewhere that the days at sea going up there are a bit "choppy".

DisneyFr33k
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi, glad you had a great time!! I am going on Aug 9th cruise.

I was wondering what shore excursions you did? Also, was it very rocky? I had read somewhere that the days at sea going up there are a bit "choppy".

We didn't pay for any shore excursions. Instead, we made our own for a fraction of the cost! We rented from used car companies and took in all each port had to offer. We didn't regret it one bit and especially enjoyed our drive up the Klondike Highway into the Canadian Yukon. It was breath-taking!

As far as the rough seas, you better ask someone that cruised after our inaugural one. Due to it being the first time the Wonder was cruising the Inside Passage, the Canadian Pilot (someone very familiar with the waters and come aboard to help navigate) would not allow us to go up passage. It was explained that the pilot had to familiarize themselves with the boat etc. So we had to sail in the Pacific up until we could enter near Tracy Arm. Boy, talk about rough seas! Our first day at sea, we were rocking and a rolling! Lots of green faces :sick: and even the staff were having problems. The good thing is that they won't ever have to do that again. It is only the first time sailing (lucky us!). From what I hear from my travel agent, if there are any choppy waters for your cruise, it will be that first night when you enter the pacific briefly before entering the Inside passage. Once inside the passage, the waters are so tranquil... it's like being on a lake!

Happy sailing and enjoy the beauty of this almost untouched state. It is amazing!

marlyn
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the info! I am certainly glad I was not on the first cruise then. :sick: :ack:

I am very excited about this cruise. I actually live on Vancouver Island and the ships to Alaksa pass by my house. Most of the excursions I am not interested in as we can do some of those activities where I live (fishing, whale watching, totems, etc...). What we plan on doing is dog sledding, canoe to glacier and the lumberjack show. Those things are different for us. My teens plan on doing the teen exclusive glacier treck.

Again, thank you for info!

DisneyFr33k
05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the info! I am certainly glad I was not on the first cruise then. :sick: :ack:

It wasn't that bad for me, and I get really car sick!

I actually live on Vancouver Island and the ships to Alaksa pass by my house. Most of the excursions I am not interested in as we can do some of those activities where I live (fishing, whale watching, totems, etc...).

Lucky you! Beautiful country you live in! I heard on the cruise Disney will be moving to Seattle next summer, so it is nice you can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

Funny side story - when my son was in The Edge tween group on the boat, he made several friends. I asked about where each of them were from and he mentioned one boy was from Vancouver. My son quickly pointed out "he's from Vancouver Island, mom, not from regular Vancouver - big difference!". :D

What we plan on doing is dog sledding, canoe to glacier and the lumberjack show. Those things are different for us. My teens plan on doing the teen exclusive glacier treck.

Sounds like fun! Since you can experience a lot of what they offer unique to those of us from the southest, you can focus on what interests you and your children most.

Again, thank you for info!

Your welcome - I hope you have a wonderful trip! Do let us know how it goes and especially if the seas are rough that first night.

TooGoofy
06-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Most places are suggesting that we take waterproof shoes. I have a hard to fit foot and finding waterproof shoes that I can wear comfortably might be quite a challenge. How necessary were waterproof shoes, in your opinion?

BTW, marlyn, we too are on the August 9 cruise!

DisneyFr33k
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Most places are suggesting that we take waterproof shoes. I have a hard to fit foot and finding waterproof shoes that I can wear comfortably might be quite a challenge. How necessary were waterproof shoes, in your opinion?

We didn't need them at all. However, we were there May 3-10 and the weather was not rainy at all. I have orthodics in my shoes for a foot problem and would have worn my non-water proof sneakers even if it rained all day. I guess if you don't mind wet shoes/feet if it is a rainly week then it's not a problem!

marlyn
06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Funny side story - when my son was in The Edge tween group on the boat, he made several friends. I asked about where each of them were from and he mentioned one boy was from Vancouver. My son quickly pointed out "he's from Vancouver Island, mom, not from regular Vancouver - big difference!". :D

That is hilarious...and he's absolutely right! Big difference indeed! :thumbsup:

August is usually the driest month here on the West Coast, but I don't know about Alaska. I am not worrying about taking waterproof shoes. I am just taking a comoftable pair of running shoes for any hiking.

Awesome Meg! I had started a thread a long time ago trying to arrange a meet as I had thought a few of us were going. Maybe I will ask again to see if there are a few of us and maybe we can all meet for a drink!

DisneyFr33k
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
That is hilarious...and he's absolutely right! Big difference indeed! :thumbsup:

By the way, Marlyn, what does "contributor" mean under your name?

marlyn
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Quite some time ago the site switched servers and members were given option to contribute if they chose to. Those who did were allowed to pick their own custom avatar. That is why mine has my user name and is one of a kind. You won't find my capt Jack avatar on the site's list. It is mine only. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Quite some time ago the site switched servers and members were given option to contribute if they chose to. Those who did were allowed to pick their own custom avatar. That is why mine has my user name and is one of a kind. You won't find my capt Jack avatar on the site's list. It is mine only. :mickey:

That is cool! To have Jack all to yourself! I'm jealous! ;)

marlyn
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
That is cool! To have Jack all to yourself! I'm jealous! ;)

Well, I have this particular Capt Jack all to myself! Isn't he gorgeous?? :blush:

DisneyFr33k
07-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, I have this particular Capt Jack all to myself! Isn't he gorgeous?? :blush:

:thumbsup: