PDA

View Full Version : WCC Over the Top?

wdwaggie
05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
How over the top is WCC? My DW sort of liked 50's Prime Time Cafe, but it took her some time to get into character, is WCC going to be too much? I know it's all part of te spiel, but can we jus:confused:t eat and not be overly annoyed?

BrerGnat
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
In my experience, it's all about who ends up being your server. The restaurant can get loud and rowdy during peak dinner times (6-8pm). At off times, it's more quiet. If you dine around 5pm, it's a lot quieter. Also, when you check in with the hostess, just let them know that you are really there just to eat and would prefer a more low key server. There is a dining area sort of in the back, and it's semi cut-off from the main dining area. They might put you back there if you'd really like to avoid most of the mayhem.

In general, the servers at WL don't "annoy" you like they do at 50's. They sort of play the opposite part...not there to pamper you and make sure you eat. More like, here's your grub...eat it. They might do stuff that's sort of brash, like throw your straws on the table, and bring you a drink in a half gallon jug *if* you mention that you're really thirsty or you're the type to need a refill every 3 minutes. It's supposed to be funny, but I've heard that some people get offended by it. If you go in knowing that they are just playing the character, and not trying to be rude, you'll enjoy your meal.

KylesMom
05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
If you do not want to participate in the antics, you do not need to play along. You can actually request to sit in the back area, which is a quieter location within the restaurant. We've been enjoying Whispering Canyon since our first stay at WL in 2006, and it largely depends upon your server as to how "over the top" it is. Some are really "into" character, and others are just normal servers. From our experience, they're usually pretty astute in figuring out if you want to play or not.

One of the reasons why we've never eaten at 50's is DH isn't interested in singing "I'm a Little Teapot" or some such thing during our meal. 'Course DS and I would love that! :blush: Once upon a time, however, he was asked to give out wooden nickels to all the kids who participated in the pony races at WCC! :D

jodijo
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
We have eaten at 50's Prime Time and my family will never go back. The servers were nice but my DH felt humiliated by the server when he didn't eat his veggies. The kids did not think it was funny when other people got made fun of either. We liked the food but it was not our cup of tea.

That being said, we have eaten at WCC 4 times and have loved it (all our reservations were between 4:30 & 5:00 - less busy times). However, they are very fun and not degrading. Yes, they will bring you a BIG refill of soda sometimes or have the entire restaurant bring ketchup bottles to your table if you ask for ketchup. But, they do it in a way that is fun and not at all offensive to us.

So, I think you should give it a try. Just get an early reservation and don't ask for ketchup (unless you need a lot)! LOL

buzznwoodysmom
05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
If your not into all the antics, try going for lunch. We've eaten at WCC countless times, for both lunch and dinner, and lunch is always much quieter. If your interested in the all you can eat skillet, it is available on the lunch menu as well.

wdwaggie
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks! I'm into it, but my DW is still trying to be converted to a Disney nut like the rest of us and although she didn't care for 50s at the time, she re-tells stories of our visit there and I can see that secretly she enjoyed it, so looking forward to WCC. We will mostly be eating breakfast there with ADRs at opening.

darthmacho
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Breakfast might get rowdy, but if you just play along you're less likely to get singled out for anything. Oh, and if you don't like attention, forgo the ketchup...:mickey:

vicster
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
There is a quieter area off the main dining room where's it's not as rowdy.

GBBT
05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Tell DW to let the Disney magic flow thru.Noone knows who you are there.It's not like somebody's gonna point ya out at a park later and say,"there's the people that were embarassed at WCC this morning". DW and I celebrated our 14th Anniversary:party: there in Dec. and got complimentary champagne,but I had to get on 1 knee and propose to get the drinks.Yep,did it in front of the WHOLE restaurant.:blush: