PDA

View Full Version : Marathon and staying at BLT or Treehouse Villas

Rosemickey68
05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
We are trying to decide what villa would be best for our family to stay at during the marathon. 3 of us are participating in 2012.

Has anyone stayed at the Treehouse and done the marathon?
Is it better to drive your own car or take the WDW bus to get to and from the marathon?

We are possibly going to have the mother-in-law with us, she is one of those that can't sleep with any noises, including my DH's snoring!

We will have a party of 7 adults (including the mother-in-law). So, considering the marathon and her, which villa would be better?

We haven't stayed in any of the villas before, so it will be our first, and we would like to make it as enjoyable for everyone as we can.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!:mickey:

A Big Kid
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I would NOT recommend driving to the marathon start. Traffic can get gnarly and cause you unneeded stress on an already stressfull morning.

By far the best hotel for the marathon is the Poly. Transportation from the TTC drops you off right at the start and there is not traffic problem.

I have heard of people staying at the Y&B club or Boardwalk and walking to the start. It is also a possibility to walk back to the hotel via the WS after the run.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I would take the WDW bus.

We did the 5K this past marathon weekend, and the bus transportation was amazing ... better than we've ever had to and from any of the parks.

So, if you're planning on WDW transport, the big advantage of BLT is that you can take the monorail to and from Epcot, without having to worry about any traffic.

If you can do it, I would stay at BLT, but no matter where you stay, plan to use WDW transport, it is much easier.

Melanie
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
We've stayed at Caribbean Beach and Animal Kingdom Lodge for the marathon, and Disney transportation is definitely the way to go. It's very reliable from any of the Disney resorts. We've always had our own car, but have always used Disney transport and wouldn't dream of getting into the traffic on our own!

MinnieMommie
05-11-2011, 07:02 AM
We were there for the marathon January 2010 and stayed at BLT. It was very convenient. DD (she ran the half marathon) took the monorail and it was so easy for her to be where she needed to be in the wee hours of the morning.

It was also easy for us to watch and get from one point to the next during the race. We didn't need a car staying at BLT and think it is actually harder getting around with a car as traffic patterns are controlled.

That being said, it sounds like there might be a nighttime issue that needs to be addressed as far as someone being a light sleeper. You will have a 3rd bedroom at the Treehouse so maybe the option to have the light sleeper in her own room may come in handy. I've never stayed at the Treehouse Villas but perhaps someone who has can weigh in on comparing the sleeping options with a 2 bedroom at BLT. :mickey:

Rosemickey68
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

We would love to stay at the Polynesian as we love the atmosphere..however with 7 people the cost would be alot more than staying at any of the Villas.

So on the day of the marathon, if you stay at a monorail resort you take it to the TTC and get out and get on the EPCOT monorail, right?

Because of my Mom we thought the treehouse would be good, because of the price being the same as a 2 bedroom, and she would have her own room.

For purposes of the marathon we thought about BLT or Beach Club Villas, or Boardwalk Villas. We assume it would be easier to either walk to the starting line or take the monorail. Just not sure how the sleeping arrangement would work out at those villas.

We thought a "2 bedroom lock-off" at one of the above villas might work, but will they guarantee you get one when you book????

Is it true there are no locks on the doors at BLT or the treehouse still???? is it the bedrooms and bathrooms that don't lock?