PDA

View Full Version : Walk up's

DisneyAddictUK
05-09-2011, 05:08 AM
It's been many many years since I was in Orlando, but a friend and I are having a week there between work-related stops in Vegas and NYC.

Anyhow, given this is all fairly short notice (we'll be there Jun 30 - Jul 6), and incorporates the Independence Day holiday, I'm wondering what walk-up food options will be like -- do we have a shot at any of the decent World Showcase / hotel restaurants or are we stuck with the counter service options / I-Drive?

luvdiznee
05-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Not sure about WS, but a couple weeks ago we were at DHS on a Thursday night and we tried to get into Sci-Fi and they told us, walkins were not being allowed. And this was not only for Sci-Fi, but for all the TS restaurants in DHS. Who knows, probably had something to do with the fact that it was the end of Spring Break. :marg:

Tygger7
05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
You're going to be there on one of the busiest weeks of the year....that whole week is pretty crazy and you'll most likely run into the parks closing due to capacity, especially on the 4th. While I wouldn't say it's impossible to get walk-up seating, I'd definitely say the odds are not stacked in your favor. However, the counter service options at Epcot & World Showcase are REALLY good. Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom is really tasty. And there are a lot of good options at DtD.

Also, I'd recommend looking for available options on Disney Dining Reservations website. Just play around with some dates/times and see if it gives you any options.

Good luck!!

buzznwoodysmom
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
If at all possible I'd try to make at least one ADR. You can always cancel if you find you won't need it, and you'll have it if you do need it.

Otherwise try some of the resorts. We've found that many of the resort TS locations aren't as popular as those in the parks. The more "under rated" the resort the better your chances are at walking up. We've had dinner at the Maya Grill at Coronado and it was a great meal, but you hardly ever hear anything about it. Definitely think you'd be able to walk up here.

Also if you find yourself at Epcot with no luck walking up for dining try ESPN at the Boardwalk or Beaches N Cream at the Beach Club. Both of these places are "walk up" only. They do not take ADRs. You may have to wait a while, but you won't be turned away like you might inside Epcot.

DisneyAddictUK
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I just did a scan of the ADP and it seems availability is still pretty good for that week (at least in the 6.45-7.15ish time slot I was looking at). Time to do some research I guess...

I remember the Maya grill from a previous stay, will definitely try and hit that up again -- I also seem to remember the Poly and Contemporary had decent restaurants; the Contemporary perhaps had one that overlooked the fireworks?

DisneyAddictUK
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I should mention my concern with counter service food is not so much snobbery or quality of food but rather that my travelling companion is extremely gluten intolerant, and we find TS restaurants are far more likely/able to accomodate that. Does anyone have experience of non-TS restaurants at Disney providing Gluten Free options?

I have put in one ADP so far and it provides the option to specify gluten-free right on the reservation.

AXOAlum
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Otherwise try some of the resorts. We've found that many of the resort TS locations aren't as popular as those in the parks.

:ditto:

My parents always ended up walking in for several locations at the last minute. Their favorite - Flying Fish Cafe.

ElenitaB
05-09-2011, 07:01 PM
To address your question about gluten free dining at CS locations: just mention it to the cashier when you're going to place your order, and a manager will come out to explain the options that are available. Disney is a great place for people with food allergies.

As for walk-ups, one alternative is to go to Guest Services at the park upon your arrival to see what's available for that day and make a reservation then.

The restaurant in the Contemporary that overlooks the Magic Kingdom, the lake and the other MK area resorts is California Grill. If you want to dine there, make a reservation NOW if you find a timeslot that is open.

Have a great trip!

DisneyAddictUK
05-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for all the responses, and the info on CS locations, that will make things a lot easier.

A quick follow-up. I have managed to book the Contemporary for the night we arrive, but have a transport question.

We're staying in Downtown Disney at a non-Disney hotel, so presumably can either walk to DD or get the hotel shuttle to one of the parks. I have pre-ordered tickets, but don't intend to validate them (or exchange the coupon if that's how it works) until the next day as we arrive late afternoon.

What would be the best way to get to the Contemporary? Can we use Disney transportation to/fro with just the ADR?