PDA

View Full Version : Prom!

GA girl
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
My daughter’s junior high Prom is tonight. I was just adding up the cost of everything that we have spent as of today for prom.
Total $1,029.00.
I have only spent about $500.00 myself, the rest she has paid for herself.
I can not believe that we have spent so much money for 1 night. We have been buying things over the past 4 months so I had not realized how much we have actually spent.
So what is the average amount that is usually spent on Prom?
I know that I could have had me a nice Disney weekend with $1,000.00!

Dulcee
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
:rolleyes:Oh boy, I remember proms, they never did live up to my expectations.

Junior year prom I walked into a department store after seeing a dress in catalog, tried it on, loved it, bought it and then wore it to probably ten other events. Cost of the dress $40. Shoes $35.

Senior year my mother and I searched, and searched and drove all over the state of NJ looking for a dress. Finally found one, spent $400 on it and wore it once. :blush: looking back now I can't believe she bought it for me at that price.

Other then that thought I didn't have many other expenses. Wore the same shoes to both. Dates bought my ticket both times. Used a limo both years but we always got a big one and split amongst friends so I can't remember paying more then 30 or 40$. Mom always did my hair/make up/nails. After parties were at a friends house and then a friend's father's hotel so that never cost us anything.

Over a grand though...that would make my head hurt. Currently planning my wedding and my dress cost less then that prom dress did! I guess I've done some growing up since then lol

BrerGnat
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Wow! That's a lot for Prom!

I think my prom dress/shoes/etc. cost maybe $200, total. Wore the dress one time. Looking back, it was hideous. :blush:

My boyfriend drove us to the prom in....his parent's Toyota Camry. Oh yeah! Cost of prom tix was $60.

murphy1
05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I saw something where a girl spent 3k on just her dress! Crazy, but (I always shock people with this) I didn't go to prom and didn't want to, was already dating college guys by then, was asked, but didn't want to go. ( I also don't regret it if there's anyone who reads this and thinks they have to go.) I must say the dresses are better than what we had in the 80's with the Princess Diana poofy factor.
I don't think I will get off so easily with my girls!

Shari

Bethis26fan
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I saw something where a girl spent 3k on just her dress! Crazy, but (I always shock people with this) I didn't go to prom and didn't want to, was already dating college guys by then, was asked, but didn't want to go. ( I also don't regret it if there's anyone who reads this and thinks they have to go.) I must say the dresses are better than what we had in the 80's with the Princess Diana poofy factor.
I don't think I will get off so easily with my girls!

Shari

I didn't go either. I didn't see the point. It was kind of funny some of my friends and I rent all the great scary prom movies that night and just hung out and laughed and didn't spend but about $10.00 on snacks.

I think we had as much if not more fun than those that went.

Mickey'sGirl
05-06-2011, 02:41 PM
That's a lot of money, especially for a Junior High Prom!! Makes me glad I have sons! ;)

I went to prom every year during high school, and absolutely enjoyed the whole experience (and I am not a girly girl by any stretch of the imagination). I usually had dresses made, and always hit the hairdresser beforehand ... I seriously doubt I spent that much on all of my dresses together :D

I hope your daughter has a fabulous time, and it is everything she hopes it will be!! :cloud9:

Carol
05-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Makes me glad I have sons!

I have a son and we've spent over $500 for his prom the end of this month. Between tux, limo portion, tickets and flowers -- it adds up.

disney obsessed
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I have three girls. It really does add up. Thank God they haven't all gone at the same time!

The culture here is also that the kids spend the night together at someones home. I have been it twice but I would rather have them here than where I cannot keep an eye on them.

They grow up too fast.

GA girl
05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I had not realized how much we had spent until I started adding it up today and it made me nauseous!
The dress was almost $500.00. I paid $200.00 on the dress. She bought $95.00 high heels, that I am sure she will not be able to wear very long before they start hurting her feet. Nails were $61.00. Hair and make up another $60.00. She is staying at the beach (there will be adults there) so that was another $200.00 and it rained all day today so all they did was sleep!
The flower was another $42.00. They did not have to pay for actual tickets so I guess the "prom" itself is free.
My sister has spent over $500.00 for her son to go also, so boys are not much cheaper.
I know that I did not spend that much on my small wedding almost 20 years ago.

RedSoxFan
05-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I would say I probably spent about $300/each for the boys to go to their proms. Tuxes, flowers, tickets, etc --- it adds up. I can't imagine what it's going to cost me when Kourtney goes in a couple of years.

MNNHFLTX
05-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Wow, $1000+ for a junior high prom is wild!! My son went to his senior prom for about $290. I went to my senior prom in a $50 dress--I think the total for my date and I was about $125 (granted, quite a few years ago). Back then, no one went in a limo. Heck, I didn't go to my own wedding in a limo!

GA girl
05-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Prom was tonight! Just got in after spending the day taking pictures and flowers to my daughter.
My daughter went on a 35 passenger party bus. My sister rented a limo for her son and his date. $500.00! That is just crazy for 5 hours, but we did get to ride around Savannah for about an hour in the limo while they were eating dinner.
I sure hope that she is having fun.

Tiggerlovr9000
05-08-2011, 03:34 AM
My dds prom dress was 250 dollars and all the accessories another 175 dollars. Flowers were 30 dollars. Tickets, dinner, after party was all included for free..She looked like a princess and had a great time.....

Tinkerfreak
05-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow that's alot for a junior high prom. Our school has an 8th grade formal dance on the last day of school. I bought my daughters dress at forever 21 for 19.99 and her shoes were not too much either. We paid $10 for tickets to get in and that was it. The school has a strict no limo policy because they don't want this getting out of hand and kids feeling like they have to arrive in a limo. I guess our's isn't really a prom because it must not be as formal.
I personally feel like if they have a full out formal prom in junior high what do they have to look forward to in high school. That's just my opinion.
I don't mind spending a good amount for a high school prom but not junior high. I want her senior prom to be special and I plan on doing the limo and hair and nails and the whole thing.
I know things can start to add up really quickly and before you know it you have spend more than you thought. I have 2 girls so prom will be a big expense twice for us.

I hope she had a really great time and you got lots of amazing pictures. It will help ease the financial pain a little bit. :)

GA girl
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
It was her Junior/senior high school prom. She is in the 11th grade. We are looking at her doing dual enrollment for her senior year so this might be her last year in high school, she will finish her senior year as a freshmen in college. (if the state does not cut the Hope Scholarship funding)
Sorry if I made it sound like middle school. I guess my head was still spinning when I typed my original post.

murphy1
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm sure she had a blast! I know what you mean about Hope, I am praying they don't cut anymore, but not too sure what will be left when mine go. Did she eat somewhere good? I am imagining The Olde Pink House, Savannah is beautiful, I need to get back there, what a nice place to live

Georgesgirl1
05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I hope she had fun.
I went to prom 3 times (sophmore, junior and senior year). Sophomore year, I was asked last minute by a friend whose mom was dying of cancer. His mom and my mom were good friends and when his girlfriend dumped him a few weeks before prom we decided to go together knowing that his mom would probably not live to his senior prom. His dad paid for the tickets, limo, etc. Since it was so last minute, we didn't have time to get a deal on the dress and it was $250. For my junior prom, my grandmother made my dress. The fabric, pattern, accesories were about $30 total. I went with the same friend (both of our significant others broke up with us a few month before prom so why not?) Again, his dad paid for the tickets, limo, etc. Both of those years, we went back to my date's house to swim in his pool. Senior year, I got my dress on sale for $49. I did pay for my ticket that year which was $50 I think. We drove ourselves so no limo cost that year.

BellesRose
05-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I never went to prom, but I did witness a prom going on at Disney's Beach Club Resort. It made me insanely jealous (One guy invited me in but of course I didn't go!)