PDA

View Full Version : Our first time in Hilton Head pre-trip report!

luvDaMouse
05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
When? May 20th thru May 28th
Who’s going?
Myself-Dana
DH-Tom
DD-Stephanie 22
DD- Anna 19
D-Dad and D-stepmom

We have wanted to stay in HHI for the last couple years but a trip just never happened. My dh and I really wanted to take my Dad and Mom to Disney with us but after discussing the trip, and how we "do Disney" my dh and I decided that maybe they( or us) are not ready for them to visit the “world” so this is the next best thing. So I reserved a 2br for all of us and we are going to drive down. We will work a ½ day on thurs the 19th, my parents will probably leave sometime in the morning. Stephanie will drive with them and Anna will drive with us. We are taking two cars so that if we want to do something we can each go our separate ways. We will meet up on Friday at the Resort. My dh and I want to drive as far as we can on Thursday (maybe even all the way) so our drive on Friday is short. I will investigate hotels along the route if we need to stop and sleep. I am packing some non-perishable food stuff from home to be able to cook some in the villa as well as our beach gear. I am so used to packing to fly that I am afraid of way over packing because I have my own car!

We are looking forward to relaxing and taking in all that the island has to offer!

Having never been there before I would love any suggestions on things to do or any restaurants that we should try! :)

16 Days and counting! :yay:
Dana

mouseketeer mom
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Dana, you will love it.
My trip report from HH is in the vacation club section I think. You can read about our week there. We flew, we rented beach stuff on the beach. We stopped at the Piggly Wiggly super close by for breakfast and snack items. The deck is huge. We enjoyed many meals out there. Request a marsh view if you haven't already. We watched the dolphins in the a.m. while we ate!! so many activities..make the Mickey tee shirts..Steve is wearing his in an Epcot photo of his that I posted on my current trip report that I just started yesterday. I can't wait to hear how you love it!! We had a 2 BR too, and its plenty big.
Lisa

awaggett
05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I've not stayed at the Disney resort, but go to HHI several times a year as my folks have a place there--we love it. Here are a few recommendations:

Harbor Town in Sea Pines--you will have to pay (I think $5) to get into the resort--but you can enjoy both South Beach (where Salty Dog Cafe is) and Harbor Town--which is beautiful. Greg Russell sings there nightly under the big oak tree--he is great!

Restaurants--our two favorites are Michael Anthony's (Italian, a bit pricey) and Sea Grass Grill (mainly seafood/some meats--locals--very reasonable). Kenny B's has great beignets at breakfast; Cajun-style food--good deals for dinner.

If you ever watch Dinner Impossible or Restaurant Impossible on the Food Network you will enjoy Robert Irving's Eat--we met him at the restaurant last summer--he was great! Good food--we did mostly tapas.

Hope you have a great trip.

KylesMom
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Dana, I think it's great that your parents as well as your older children are going to make the maiden voyage to HH with you.

While I've never been there and can't give you any advice, I'd like to wish you happy times on your travels! :mickey:

faline
05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope to visit there at some point so would love to hear how your trip goes! It won't be long now until you're off on your trip!