PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a plea

giroux28
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
No one ever likes to admit they feel defeated. I graduated from college in May of 2010 from Temple University in Philadelphia with a degree in Advertising in the field of Copy Writing. I am not exaggerating when I say I have applied to over 100 jobs since then with not even so much as an email back.

I sit here at my low hourly wage job that I work 40 hours a week in (Which I am thankful for, don't get me wrong. Many aren't lucky enough to have any form of income these days), wondering when I will ever get my chance to work in the field that I have developed my skills in.

So here is my question to all who read this, I was wondering if anyone was either part of an advertising agency or knew someone who was that is hiring an entry level copy writer. I am willing to relocate probably by the end of summer if a full time job arises. But I need to find a copywriter position soon enough or I am going to start feeling like my college coursework was done completely in vain. If anyone can help, or has the cliche words of encouragement, please send it my way because I could really use it right now. Thanks a lot.

NJGIRL
05-04-2011, 10:38 AM
No one ever likes to admit they feel defeated. I graduated from college in May of 2010 from Temple University in Philadelphia with a degree in Advertising in the field of Copy Writing. I am not exaggerating when I say I have applied to over 100 jobs since then with not even so much as an email back.

I sit here at my low hourly wage job that I work 40 hours a week in (Which I am thankful for, don't get me wrong. Many aren't lucky enough to have any form of income these days), wondering when I will ever get my chance to work in the field that I have developed my skills in.

So here is my question to all who read this, I was wondering if anyone was either part of an advertising agency or knew someone who was that is hiring an entry level copy writer. I am willing to relocate probably by the end of summer if a full time job arises. But I need to find a copywriter position soon enough or I am going to start feeling like my college coursework was done completely in vain. If anyone can help, or has the cliche words of encouragement, please send it my way because I could really use it right now. Thanks a lot.

When the economy is bad one of the first things companies stop spending on is advertising. I have been working since I was 16 and have never been without work. Here I am in my 40's and layed off for the first time in my life. I have only ever worked in the accounting field so I have over 25 years of experience. I have been without a job for a whole year and have not gotten one interview. People with experience can't find jobs. I know you don't like what you are doing but hang in there, things will eventally get better, they always do. Be thankful you are working and able to support yourself. As adults we don't always get to do what we want, but don't give up hope because things will get better.

BayLaker25
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I was actually in the same boat, I see you live in Southampton I actually live in Richboro and Graduated from Temple in 2009. I would apply for tons of jobs and never hear anything back and it was frustrating and took me a while to find a job. I finally went with Accountemps since I had an accounting degree and they were great and helped me get experience. The job I was a temp at offered me a full time positon but did not offer nearly enough money. They ended up hiring someone else and I was out of a job again a month later they called me back to the same place to temp again because they person who took my place quite. I finally heard back while being a temp on a job that I applied for and I am still currently working for them and love it. I can not really help you find a job or know anybody in that field but figured I would share with you that I was in the same place and it ended up working out so don't give up hope.
Keep applying to as many jobs as you can, it would work out for you at some point!

GO FLYERS!!!!

SBETigg
05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Have you thought about moving to within an easy commute to Manhattan? I'm naive about your industry, but I think you would have better luck there with so many large ad firms in business. Does your college do placement, career services for alums? They might have some information on jobs and internships. Not that you can afford to work for free right now, but I think taking unpaid internships and making contacts that way is the way a lot of people get started in that industry, just from what I recall from when I checked into it in college (many years ago), not that I know for a fact. Or maybe there's a related field that you could use the same skills and maybe gain some similar job experience? Good luck! I know it's hard.

Daisy'sMom
05-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't have any advice except to say something that has sustained me thru the tough times. "And this too shall pass". Times are tough and just wait until things turn around. And never give up.
There were times when DH and I ate instant potatoes for our meals. Only instant potatoes. He was in law school and I was home with two babies. I worked any hours I could at the hospital, but that just paid the rent and brought enough food for the babies.
I would repeat that saying over and over again. It got me thru and hopefully it will help you. Don't give up, and God Bless.

brownie
05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
If you haven't done so already, expand beyond copy writing and look at any kind of related work or work that would involve writing. Maybe start a blog (or use Twitter) to put out relevant content to help build "experience" and give you something to show potential employers (or help get you noticed.)

Don't ever feel like college was in vain. For a growing number of people, work will not be related to their college course of study. College gives you a base and skills for learning, and that is the real benefit in my opinion.

ElenitaB
05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I also was going to recommend looking into temp agencies. I lived outside the US for over a decade. Upon my return I had a very tough time finding a job (much less one that used my degrees), and after searching for work for a few months, I signed up with a temporary agency. On more than one ocassion, I was offered full-time employment.

The other advice I would have is to think how you can leverage your skills in other industries (technology and pharma might be a good place to start).

Good luck!

Georgesgirl1
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I also was going to recommend looking into temp agencies. I lived outside the US for over a decade. Upon my return I had a very tough time finding a job (much less one that used my degrees), and after searching for work for a few months, I signed up with a temporary agency. On more than one ocassion, I was offered full-time employment.

The other advice I would have is to think how you can leverage your skills in other industries (technology and pharma might be a good place to start).

Good luck!

My brother was kind of in the same boat as this. He was a missionary for several years after college. Even though he was the Director of Communications for the missionary base that he lived and worked at for 2 years, companies that he applied to did not see that as "real world experience." He took a bunch of temp jobs and now works in a job that is only slightly related to his communications major, but it is a full time job with benefits. It may not be what he wants, but it is something and in this economy sometimes that is all you can get.
I hope things work out for you!

clausjo
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I would also recommend temping. It's not only a good way for your employer to decide if they need a full time person and if you would be the right person, but also for you to see if this is the right place for you. Hopefully the economy will turn around soon and you'll have more options out there. And I completely agree with Daisy'Mom - This too shall pass!

Good luck and don't give up hope!

Ilovemesomedisneymom
05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I just sent you a private message about a lead for a copy writer at my place of employment.:mickey:

murphy1
05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I was in the same boat as you back in early 90's with a BA in Journalism/PR (the economy was terrible). Even my teacher grad friends couldn't get a job. I think you need some tough love right about now, b/c you can't just send out resumes in your field you have to be extremely proactive. You are competing against people who have years of experience and will take low wages. Get involved with a professional organization, keep in touch with your professors, go into the places you want to work and ask one of the employees to talk to you, most people are more than happy to talk to college grads and help them out, they might even have some work you could do freelancing, you would have some clips for your portfolio that way. I did a ton of temp work and it was excellent experience--one was for a magazine and they called me back everytime they needed me (I started as receptionist and then into ad copy/writing area) they also interviewed me fo an opening in the graphics dept., you really do pick up good skills. You need to build up references too. I got my current job at a library b/c I volunteered at our school. In a few years, after you weather through this storm, you will have built up a name for yourself and people will probably be calling you with offers. I ended up doing insurance marketing and then became an insurance agent and loved it, you never know where life will take you. This time in your life is about paying your dues, it just stinks that the economy is still not great. Perseverance is the attribute that will set you apart in life. Best of luck to you!! Don't give up!

magicalmom
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Have you looked at any of the large not-for-profit organizations like the Red Cross, etc.? They tend to have all the same departments that big companies have, only it's called public relations instead of advertising -

Good luck!

squad51
05-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I feel your pain. I am a 4th year electrical apprentice and even though i cost my employer 75% of a journeyman I have been off the past three weeks. They tell me the recession is over but I don't see it. My brother is a journeyman electrician and he has worked 6 months in the past 2 years. Just hold on you may get your wish. However dont rule out changing possible options. Look into if your major makes you able to take another job in another field. You never know you may find another enjoyable field. Personally I have made 4 career changes between high school graduation and now (16 years).

Just hold on and work hard. You'll get there.