PDA

View Full Version : When do you start planning?

goofygonewild
05-04-2011, 12:20 AM
We are going to DW late May of 2012 and have been planning what I can for the past 4 months. I am starting to think I'm a little obscessed with planning/researching and that I should just wait until the new rates are announced sometime around August, then start planning.

Then I think, planning is part of the fun/magic of DW and keep right on going. I even have a folder I started of tips (most of which I got off here) and things to remember when we do go, to refer to as the time nears. One such planning tip is to take a shiney new roll of pennies with the year on them that we go (2012) and plenty of quarters for penny press machines.

Just curious when others start planning and some of the things you do to prepare.

Dragongirlx
05-04-2011, 03:45 AM
For me I usually start planning the minute I get back from my last holiday. I am not going back till September 2012 and I already have a list of provisional restaurants where I want to eat and plans of what I want to do. Plus I love keeping up to date with everything that is happening in WDW now even though I can't be there.

cer
05-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Yeah, um, I don't ever really stop planning. :blush:

I am always thinking about the next trip, restaurants I want to make sure to try, reading other people's experiences, saving for the next trip, seeing what Disney is doing in the parks... The list goes on an on.

But, official planning really starts the moment we settle on the dates or get plane tickets - or even when Disney releases park hours. I think maybe when Disney releases park hours is probably the main trigger. That is what helps me determine what park on what day and then I choose dining around that...

But as far as enjoying planning for Disney even when a trip is far out, that is pretty much a daily thing.

wdwaggie
05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Your here posting and getting replies, so you aren't alone! Rejoice and enjoy! I am going in Sept for my 40th Birthday :party: and I haven't been since 2006, but I've been secretly :secret: planning ever since! Mostly just tuning in here ever so often to keep up to date. Booking early can't hurt you, if a better deal comes along, just call in and have them apply the discount code. I just did this Monday and shaved another $300 off our trip. :cloud9:

magicofdisney
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I never stop planning. Seriously, I'm a FL resident with a pass and I've always got something in the works. :mickey:

I took a hiatus once, when I got pregnant with my last child. I think all it did was make the desire stronger. Even when the kids are up and out, I'll still have the passion.

Jillirose
05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
The week after I get back, I start dreaming! Serious planning can occur about 6 months out, if I know we have some $$ available for a vacation. :thumbsup:

akaDisneyDreamer
05-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm in the same boat! We are also planning on going May 2012 and I want to make solid plans! We have worked out where we want to stay, have a list of new things to do that we've missed on previous trips, new places to eat and of course the things we must do again! We have tentatively 369 days until our trip! Can't wait! :mickey:

NJGIRL
05-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I start planning a year in advance. I like to book our plane tickets right away because it seems that's when they are the cheapest. I also like to book my timeshare that early so we get one of the resorts that are close to Disney.

mook3y
05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
We typically plan vacations at least 2 years out. We are currently deciding if we should go ahead and purchase season passes this September with the intentions of getting a room only discount in the spring sometime.

DisneyDINK
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
After a trip I usually do a bit of a Disney detox. The experience stays fresh in my mind for about 2 weeks. After about 3 or 4 months I start thinking about my next trip. My last trip was in January so I'm getting the bug right now. I'm trying to go every other year. The serious planning for me happens about 9 months out when I make a reservation, book the air fare and break out my spreadsheet for park days and ADRs.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-04-2011, 09:59 AM
For me I usually start planning the minute I get back from my last holiday. I am not going back till September 2012 and I already have a list of provisional restaurants where I want to eat and plans of what I want to do. Plus I love keeping up to date with everything that is happening in WDW now even though I can't be there.

:ditto:

mgmnut
05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
We usually start our serious planning (book flights, book room, etc.) 6 - 9 months out. That's also when planning time becomes part of the daily routine.

73 Days to go!! :thumbsup:

disney_daddy
05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I plan all the time, like you said it's alot of fun, but, I start my real planning just before the 180 day mark for the Disney Dining Plan. Around then I start looking at the different resteraunts and also start checking the airline prices. But as far as the deals I would highly recommend you calling Magical Journeys and have them plan your vacation.They'll keep track of the different deals for you and keep in very close contact with you.

kgoulash
05-04-2011, 10:39 AM
as soon as i can put enough money together i start planning! we're not going until late sept of 2012 and i've already been planning for months!

TiggerDeb
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I start planning as soon as we get back from our last visit. Last year we went on a cruise and while on board, I was planning the next trip to DW. 124 days to go and we will be in our favorite place.

To plan, I start with a box and put things in it as I go, I have also made a sign for the window of our resort and also made one with my grandsons as they will be joining us on this venture.

It is never too early to plan a trip to the Magical place...:mickey:

catkrazy
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I am a bit obsessive, I would start planning as soon as I knew I was going.

Mitzie
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
For DH and I planning Disney vacations is a hobby. We talk about it often...what we did on the last trip, what we still want to see or do and where to stay. In our heads we have 3 trips in the next two years planned...one is booked for this Oct. already(adult only trip!!) I am often asked for help in planning others trips and it just is part of my 'hobby'. A hobby is defined as "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in for relaxation"...yeah, planning Disney trips fits that defintion for us.

brivers222
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I started planning my December 2011 honeymoon... upon driving home from my Oct 2010 engagement visit... never to early to plan.

BraddyB
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I started planning my December 2011 honeymoon... upon driving home from my Oct 2010 engagement visit... never to early to plan.

:thumbsup:

We aren't going until October 2012, but I already have lists of where I want to eat, what I missed last time, and what I can miss this time.

Dulcee
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Next trip will be our honeymoon Dec 2012...and I'm already planning :) I think I enjoy planning that more then the wedding :blush:

Disney4us2
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I am already planning for July 2012 and LMNOP.

brivers222
05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Next trip will be our honeymoon Dec 2012...and I'm already planning :) I think I enjoy planning that more then the wedding :blush:

lol same here.... at least my fiancee is getting more on board with the honeymoon planning over the wedding planning now. I felt weird i was getting into this more

mouseketeer mom
05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I start planning while I'm on the current trip. My wheels start turning for what I will/want to do on our next trip. And my whole family gets into this mind frame too!

Fastpasssteve
05-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Well, two trips ago I started planning my next trip before the current trip was finished (Bounce-back offer!)

The next time, I waited a whole two weeks before I started planning my next trip. That's pretty good for me.

Figment104
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Well I'm really far out there. I found out about a month ago that I'm expecting in November so how did I tell my parents they were going to be grandparents..... I told them to clear their calendars June 15 - 22, 2013 because we're taking our first family trip to Disney! Which they then replied well we've done a family trip to Disney before, which I countered with, but not as grandparents lol! So I've got my countdown clock going on my computer, starting to work out how much we need to put aside (I'm doing an overhaul on our financials anyway lol). I'm getting my fix right now by reading a lot of trip reports and also going back through the info I have from our last few trips to see how much we spent, etc. The real planning will probably start once the rates are announced for 2013, but until then I'll still be thinking about all the things I want to do on this next trip. Watch for me closer to the date on the boards, probably with lots of questions about taking an 18 month old to Disney :mickey:

disneymomma2010
05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I was really starting to worry about myself until I read this post! If im crazy at least im im the company of other crazies! Lol. Every single day I check intercot multiple times. I just have to go yearly now, thinking of every way I can to save for it! (just booked another trip this october).I research everything, resorts, restaurants, everything. Im working on my disney scrapbook. I can not go one day without thinking about disney! My husband thinks im crazy but I say its a hobby I enjoy, even though I am a little obsessive!

twinboyz
05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
We usually start planning our next trip before we leave our DW currect trip.. :blush: But otherwise there is so much to do. We try to do the airfare at least 6 months out. We're DVC members now so we'll have to book the room earlier than that. We do our dining ressies at the 180 day mark. I would say the bulk of the planning starts around the 3 month mark. That's the official planning mode to schedule our days, which day we'll go to the park, what are we going to do there, etc.:cool:

Right now we are in official freaking out mode.. 4 days to Disney and still seems as tho there is still so much to do.;) Really tho, we are more ready that we think.

Planning is half the fun of the trip. :mickey:

kemps@wdw
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
It's never too early to start planning. As all WDW vets know, some planning is key to an enjoyable visit to the World. You have a good start, and trust me, we here @ Intercot understand completely how you feel! Word of advice though, be careful not to try and plan every single minute, cause, even in the "happiest place on Earth", the best laid plans can change or be changed for you.

Dewdrop034
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
We went for the first time last May and I've been secretly planning ever since. My DH said there was no way we could afford it this year so I cried, begged, pleaded and whined and now he is luke warm to the idea of going next year...so next MAY it is!! YAY!!

delaford321
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm planning a trip for this Nov/Dec...but I'm worried, what's the weather like down there? ...This'll be my first trip!

brivers222
05-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I am already helping my mom plan a huge get together in 2013 and our honeymoon in december hasnt even happened lol... never to early to plan :)

Jeddie
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I booked our upcoming November 2011 trip the first week of September 2010. My wife, although secretly enjoying every moment of it, said I was crazy. I told her I wasn't the only one.:D:mickey::D

PETE FROM NYC
05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
We were there the last 2 Septembers, and planning our next Sept,2012.
When did we start planning? As soon as DW invited her family to travel with us during Christmas dinner last year. Nothing definite as to exact dates yet. Right now we are just trying to get them into the Disney state of mind, and exchange ideas of what to see, where to eat, etc.

darthmacho
05-26-2011, 04:15 PM
OMG, I've been actively planning my next trip since the day we got back from our last trip in August 2010. Originally, the next trip was supposed to be August 2013! It would seem, however, to have been bumped even closer to 2012, so now I'm scrambling to catch up with the pre-planning. ;)

Seriously, I've already got a day-to-day park itinerary and 75% of my ADRs already picked out. I'm pretty sure that's not healthy... :crazy:

I'm hoping to take a 14 day trip, so I've been crunching numbers and giving careful consideration to going Value to make this trip happen. :mickey: