PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha Dinner?

lovinmesomedisney
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
In all our trips to DW, we have never tried this, but have always been interested. Has anyone ever gone to this, and if so, good, bad, or otherwise? I have been to a luau in Hawaii, so I'm wondering if I may be disappointed. My 17 year old daughter, who I will be traveling with this time, has not, so I thought it may be fun for her.

BluewaterBrad
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
When we went 3 yrs ago the food was very good, the drinks were cold, and the show is very entertaining. We will probably do the luau again on our next trip.:mickey:

rjmdds
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
We did this a few years ago and I would say that it was ok. We enjoyed it, the food was good but the story was a little weak. The Polynesian is such a beautiful resort so the atmosphere is very nice. I would NOT go there expecting it to have any resemblance to an authentic luau. I'm glad I did it, but it is not something I will be doing again any time soon.
I would say that it is worth a try though.

Bellerella
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
I went to the luau this past August. It was alright. The food was good but not anything special. The storyline was a little cheesy at the begining, but once the dancers actually came on stage it was awesome. The fire dancers were especially cool. I say definitely try it! I am glad I went- just the first part of the show could have been better. :lei:

AdventurerKim
05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
This was a complete waste of time and DDP credits. The food was not that good and the show was okay. Our waiter was completely lazy and inefficient. We will never go back to this and would not recommend it.

Checkers
05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
It has been a number of years for us but we were not impressed and definitely would not do it again. However, since it has been about 7-8 yrs. it could have improved. The food was just not that good and the entertainment was just ok.

mouseketeer mom
05-07-2011, 07:44 AM
We enjoy the luau and have done it three times over the years.
We recently went last week. We had category one seats, and some shifting around was still required to have a good look at the action.
The first part of the show is scattered and chaotic. It is hard to hear as people are just settling in, and the food is on table, and all you hear is the clatter of silverware and voices. Also, they are calling people up for BD's, anniversarys, the storyline is hard to hear and follow.
Then the second half is wonderful. The dancing is great, as someone else said, the firedancers are terrific. I would recommend the luau for sure. Authentic? Not so much, entertaining? Absolutely! And we enjoy the food as well.

Disney-4-Me
05-07-2011, 10:50 AM
We've been to the luau several times over the years. We used to go to the early luau with characters designed more for a young audience when our boys were little. They always enjoyed the characters and the dancers.

Now that they are older (and the early luau is extinct) we still enjoy the entertainment. The food is good and we have always had good service. We've been lucky with our seating assignment too.

I don't spend money on the luau every year because it is pretty expensive, but we enjoy it enough to go back.

mom2morgan
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I've wanted to do this one, as well, but there have been so many poor reviews (even here) that I kind of got turned off and decided not to bother. Now this is sounding a bit more positive - would it fall into the category of "things you should do once"? (for me Cindy's table is the prime example of what I mean ;-)

DizneyRox
05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
... would it fall into the category of "things you should do once"?
Yes, like:

a root canal or an IRS audit

brivers222
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
they old show was so much better. I took my fiance there in October. The old show was so much better... this new story line is beyond cheesy. The very end you got to see the traditional dances however.

This next trip in December we are staying that the Poly and staying as far away as we can from the Spirit of Aloha Dinner. We have deluxe Dining and still refuse to spend credits on it.

But it is a try once.... too bad the old show isnt coming back though