PDA

View Full Version : Confusion

Gibbs
05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Hello Intercotees,
I'm somewhat confused about the TIW plan. My DW and I just became annual pass holders, along with my DD and DS. As a family of four we were contemplating on signing up for TIW, but after reading some info in info central and on some older threads, we are not so sure. From what I read, it looks like an 18% gratuity is added to every transaction. Does that include counter service meals? If so, then it looks like you save a whole 2 percent, which hardly seems worth it. I did notice that there was allot of posters saying that TIW was a great savings, I'm just not seeing it. Please let me know what I'm missing.:confused:

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
:mickey: Hi! (and btw, I love your I'cot name... :thumbsup:)

My family and I were AP holders a couple of times, and we used the TiW card for two trips. At first, I was unsure about it for the same reasons you are... but, we thought we'd give it a go, and we did find it to be a considerable savings.

As far as the 18% gratuity, it is ONLY for TS meals... and we found it to be a savings even there, because we normally tip 20% or more, depending on the service. So, if it was a buffet -- they got an 18% tip only, b/c really, most of the buffet servers don't really need 20%, at least we think that way, depending on how much they need to do. If it was a normal TS meal and we had exceptional service, we'd add to the 18%... but that's still wAY less than the 20% we'd normally spend OOP.

Also, consider that the TiW card gets you a 20% savings on an alcoholic purchases... we don't drink a considerable amount at WDW, but we do enjoy some special drinks at certain restaurants, and they're pricey... the 20% savings certainly made them easier to swallow! :thumbsup:

So, if you look closely at where you're going to choose to have your TS meals (and esp. if you're not going buffets too much) you may find that it is indeed a savings... most people tip regardless, so just take the 20% off the "purchase price" of the meal -- or even 22%, if you're a normal 20% tipper. :)

Good luck with the fun of running the numbers ;), and have fun planning!

NJGIRL
05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Hello Intercotees,
I'm somewhat confused about the TIW plan. My DW and I just became annual pass holders, along with my DD and DS. As a family of four we were contemplating on signing up for TIW, but after reading some info in info central and on some older threads, we are not so sure. From what I read, it looks like an 18% gratuity is added to every transaction. Does that include counter service meals? If so, then it looks like you save a whole 2 percent, which hardly seems worth it. I did notice that there was allot of posters saying that TIW was a great savings, I'm just not seeing it. Please let me know what I'm missing.:confused:

Tables in Wonderland can not be used at counter service. It saves you 20% at most (not all) table service. It basically saves you the tip. You have to make sure you will be eating at enough table service to make it worth it. You also have to make sure the TS you are eating at take the card.
I believe when I worked out the numbers you had to spend $375 to break even(when you pay $75 for the card). Anything after that is a savings.

KylesMom
05-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Tables in Wonderland can not be used at counter service. This is often a deterrent, but not necessarily true. While TiW cannot be utilized at many CS establishments, it's valid anywhere that there isn't a TS dining location - and almost every CS location at AK. This includes value resort food courts and a few moderates that don't have TS. A fairly inclusive list can be found here: Tables in Wonderland (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp) With the exception of Pepper Market at CS Resort, you won't ever be charged for gratuity on CS meals where the TiW is valid. Where it isn't, you can usually get a 10% A/P discount (Yak & Yeti, TRex, etc)

We enjoy appetizers & adult beverages, but absolutely will not partake in desserts for every meal. What we enjoy covers the best of both worlds for our family in many circumstances under the TiW card - the DDP doesn't cover either. We've been TiW (formerly DDE) members since we bought our A/Ps beginning in 2002, and it's more than paid for each trip - x 2. It really depends on how your family eats, and what you expect out of each dining experience. Honestly, out of all of the restaurants we've eaten at over the past several years since they've made the mandatory 18% gratuity, there have been maybe one or two servers that didn't deserve it. We've been sure to note on our bill each time why we were displeased. I know the managers saw my red pen marks when they had to approve the 20% discount!:marg:

Edited to add: As a reminder, tips on TS meals are not included in the dining plan . . . . you are still having to pay for them. On an average bill 15% minimum x 7 TS meals = 105 for the lowest figure. If you've purchased an A/P, chances are you're spending more than ten days in the parks and are eating at more than 7 one-credit Table Service meals over the course of your A/P.

Dsnygirl
05-03-2011, 12:14 AM
This is often a deterrent, but not necessarily true. While TiW cannot be utilized at many CS establishments, it's valid anywhere that there isn't a TS dining location - and almost every CS location at AK. This includes value resort food courts and a few moderates that don't have TS.

Whooops... that's true... we used it quite a few times at Flame Tree BBQ @ AK and LOVED that we could use it there.... :thumbsup:

KylesMom
05-03-2011, 12:39 AM
DH and I also enjoy our time at Territory Lounge at WL while DS is swimming - the wings & nachos are a real treat for us, while DS really isn't interested in this sort of food. It's an added bonus that something like this actually has a discount added in! :D

Melanie
05-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Whooops... that's true... we used it quite a few times at Flame Tree BBQ @ AK and LOVED that we could use it there.... :thumbsup:

Yes, we love that Flame Tree and Pizzafari are included at AK. We use it both those places a lot, as well as just getting a beer from either place. In fact, the card is also good at many lounges around property, and that's a big plus for those who enjoy a :marg: or :beer: .

DizneyRox
05-03-2011, 07:55 AM
From what I read, it looks like an 18% gratuity is added to every transaction.
And I encourage you to talk to management if you feel that an 18% gratuity is not warranted.

I get a little confused at people (not necessarily you but in general) that are put off by 18%. While I don't agree with adding a surcharge, EVERYONE should be considering adding a tip to the bill at a TS location.

That said it's not fair to consider a TiW bill for $100 + 18% - 20% against the same bill OOP at $100. The real OOP should be calculated at $100 + 18% tip given good service. Given the same good service, the tip would be equal, and if it's not good service, I would talk to a manager and arrange an acceptable amount.

If you want to look at the bottom line:

TiW would be $94.40
OOP would be $118.00

To me, that's quite a savings...

THe surcharge as stated is not added at counter service locations, but there are several CS locations that the discount does apply (and still no surcharge). So, you're ahead of the game there too, over paying OOP.

Also, as mentioned, depending on how you eat, TiW can be a huge savings over DDP as well. If you break down the cost of the DDP, I've got a hard time breaking anywhere close to even with it.

At $46 for an adult on the DDP per day, you can break the meals down into: $5 snack, $12 CS and $29 for TS?

We don't do desserts and often have water with meals. Find me an entre on the DDP that costs $29... We're talking 1TS locations. 2TS locations would need a $58 entre!

This is why even OOP works out better for us, and I suspect many folks would come out ahead if they would just order what they normally would instead of getting the DDP and eating for two.

NJGIRL
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM
This is often a deterrent, but not necessarily true. While TiW cannot be utilized at many CS establishments, it's valid anywhere that there isn't a TS dining location - and almost every CS location at AK. This includes value resort food courts and a few moderates that don't have TS.

Sorry, I was told we when we purchased the card it wasn't good at CS so I never knew to try it.:( I guess I should have read the paper work they handed me when I picked up the card.

The card is $75 for A/P holders and once you purchase $375 (not including tax and tip) you break even (using a 20% disc). Anything after $375 is a savings. It works good for us because we have 4 people and eat at one TS per day and will spend more than $375. One thing you do have to look at is not all TS will take the discount. I know Teppan Edo didn't take it our last trip.

NJGIRL
05-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Just to make your head spin a little more. :thedolls: The other thing you need to consider is that as a A/P holder you can get a 10% discount at some of the TS restaurants at lunch without even buying the TIW card.

I found the whole thing confusing at first too. And apparently I still don't know all of the rules.:D I think just like when deciding on getting the dining plan or not, you have to map out exactly what places you are eating at and compare buying the card and taking the card disc or not buying the card and taking the A/P holders discount.

KylesMom
05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Just to make your head spin a little more. The other thing you need to consider is that as a A/P holder you can get a 10% discount at some of the TS restaurants at lunch without even buying the TIW card. Yes, but it doesn't include a discount on the :marg:. Couldn't agree more - and I think I said it in another post you really just need to evaluate what is best for your particular situation. For some, it's great. For others, maybe not if you don't really eat at many TS locations.