PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Restaurants opening May 25 at the Disneyland Hotel!

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
From the Disney Parks blog:

posted on May 2nd, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

We’ve been sharing details here on the Disney Parks Blog about the new Disneyland Hotel restaurants, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining and Trader Sam’s – Enchanted Tiki Bar, and today we’ve got even more to share with you. The biggest news is that both restaurants will open on May 25!

Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will feature a tropical setting complete with tiki torches and island music setting the stage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can start the day with signature breakfast items such as French toast with bacon and warm banana-caramel sauce and grilled cinnamon-spice oatmeal with island fruit.

For lunch and dinner, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will offer a 1/3-pound Angus Hawaiian cheeseburger with teriyaki sauce, bacon, grilled pineapple, Havarti, tomato and lettuce burger on a multi-grain bun. (Can you imagine taking the first messy bite?) For the health conscious, the Asian chicken salad has lots of greens (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, sweet peppers and cucumbers) with chicken breast, cashews and rice noodles in a sesame vinaigrette. The Kalua pork flatbread is topped with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, red onion and fresh cilantro.

Every evening, a different “Island Plate Dinner” will be on the menu. Look for miso-crusted salmon, tamarind-glazed pork shanks or panko-crusted chicken, each served with jasmine rice, panko-crusted long beans and green papaya slaw.

If you’re in a hurry, a “Grab ‘n Go” selection includes yogurt parfait with tropical fruits and house-made granola, a tropical fruit plate, house-made pastries, sandwiches, veggie with dips, a sweet potato cake with guava cream cheese icing, pineapple-lilikoi pie, and “Trader Sam’s Dessert Flight” with pineapple upside-down cake, layered passion fruit with pineapple-coconut crème and chocolate coffee cake.

Trader Sam’s—Enchanted Tiki Bar is adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining, with substantial “bar food” – sweet ‘n spicy Asian wings, chicken lettuce wraps, panko-crusted Chinese long beans with Sriracha mayo, tamarind-glazed pork shanks with green papaya slaw and ahi poke (sushi-grade tuna) with avocado, green onion and crispy wontons.

But it’s the vintage island cocktails in kitschy glassware that we can’t wait to try. How about Krakatoa Punch with reserve aged rum, light rum, tropical juices, almond syrup and hibiscus grenadine? Or Uh Oa!, with light rum, spiced rum, guava, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, fresh lime juice and cinnamon? Serious rum lovers will want to try the HippopotoMai Tai with two shots of light and dark rums, orange curacao, almond syrup, organic agave nectar and fresh lime juice.

The non-alcoholic Schweitzer Falls is a refreshing blend of pineapple, guava, orange and passion fruit juices with all-spice syrup and a splash of Sprite.

Now we’re dreaming of vacation time!

Melanie
05-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Shouldn't be surprised to know I'm anxious for Trader Sam's. Can't wait to get back out to DLR and all the changes. Not quite yet though......

mouseketeer mom
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah!! I can't wait to try both in August!!!

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm slightly bummed that I'll be at WDW that week! I am really looking forward to these two places! That pulled pork flatbread is calling my name. :D

I am so happy to hear that they will actually have unique drinks at the bar too!

I am going to sneak over there the weekend prior to "official" opening and hope I catch it operational. It's been my experience that the restaurants soft open 2-5 days before official opening dates.

MegaDisney
05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
They both sound cool, but I will still miss the Lost Bar...

tinkwest
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I've seen artist's renderings of Tangaroa Terrace but not of Trader Sam's. Anyone know if it will have an outside bar such as the Lost Bar did? I liked that option.

BrerGnat
05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I've seen artist's renderings of Tangaroa Terrace but not of Trader Sam's. Anyone know if it will have an outside bar such as the Lost Bar did? I liked that option.

I'll be down on Friday morning. I'll try to take a peek and see if you can tell yet.

tinkwest
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I was just there yesterday but didn't venture down towards DLH. Didn't realize they were making such rapid progress!

I did notice however, on the subject of restaurants, that the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta & Paradise Garden Grill area of DCA is moving along nicely. I'm excited for that.

BrerGnat
05-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Linda, how did Goofy's Sky School look? There has been NO mention of that ride reopening at all. Originally, it was "Spring 2011". Wondering if it looks like it will be open anytime soon.

When I go on Friday, I'm parking at Downtown Disney, since we can only be there from 8:30-11:30. Since I'm parking down there, I'll take a quick run over to DLH. I hear the monorail slides have monorails now!

tinkwest
05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Linda, how did Goofy's Sky School look? There has been NO mention of that ride reopening at all. Originally, it was "Spring 2011". Wondering if it looks like it will be open anytime soon. ...

All of the Mullhulland Madness billboards etc have been painted over but no sign of anything Sky School looking. Tracks and backgrounds are all just blue. They were running vehicles yesterday but I couldn't make out what design was on the sides of the vehicles.

If you call for refurb updates you will be told that opening is June 3rd. I assume that is to take some of the pressure off of Tomorrowland.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I am looking forward to going to both the new restaurant and bar however nothing will ever replace the Lost Bar for me.

I'll be one of the guys at the end of the bar talking about the "good ol' days".

:smickey:

MegaDisney
05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Has anyone heard of interactive things at the new bar that are triggered by someone ordering certain drinks?

tinkwest
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Has anyone heard of interactive things at the new bar that are triggered by someone ordering certain drinks?

That's a loaded question! :cheers: :dizzy:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Greetings all,

Just back from a morning at DLR.
Rode a few attractions.
Did a little shopping.
And then on the way back to my car stopped by Trader Sam's.

Wow!
It is an amazing place. The atmosphere is great.
Love the indoor bar and the fact that it is a smoke free environment.
Let's start making great new memories at this amazing new spot!

The outdoor seating area is very similar to many of the outdoor malls in Arizona as is the fireplace.
This will be nice on some of our chilly Southern California evenings though.

Now, TT leaves a great deal to be desired.
The sit down order off the menu restaurant of Hook's Pointe being stripped down to a counter service location is an UGH for me.
Especially because I have so many great experiences at Hook's Pointe.
I understand retheming it, but for counter service?
A heavily themed Croc's bits and bites instead of a nice restaurant.
This leaves only one restaurant at the Hotel for me.
Not a fan of GK.

I'm sure the salads and burgers are decent at TT and one day I will probably find out.
Not going to make special plans for it though.
end of transmission.... . . . . .

Melanie
05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the report Scott! Sounds fairly good. I guess I'd never really thought about it, but having three 'table' service restaurants is a lot at one hotel. That said, I will miss Hook's Pointe. Can't wait to try the new offerings!

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, I don't consider GK to be table service.

Melanie
05-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, I don't consider GK to be table service.

I was just going by what is considered table service by Disney standards.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok.
Forget what I said about Lost Bar.
I have tons of great memories at that establishment, but Sam's definitely has it over that old place.
:D

The atmosphere is great.
Kudos to all those who worked on the design / development of what is sure to become what of my favorite places.

Melanie
05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok.
I have tons of great memories at that establishment, but Sam's definitely has it over that old place.

Wow! That's actually saying a lot coming from you Scott.

NotaGeek
05-26-2011, 03:40 AM
Ok.
:D

The atmosphere is great.
Kudos to all those who worked on the design / development of what is sure to become what of my favorite places.
Wow! Now that a seal of approval! I can't wait!

tinkwest
05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
You sold me. I'm going to check it out this Saturday.

ETA: Didn't visit Tangaroa Terrace or Trader Sam's. Other members of party not in the mood for trying either one. Maybe next time.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Ok. Tangaroa Terrace is actually all things considered a very nice restaurant. We ate there yesterday. Both had burgers. They were yummy and gone quickly. The only gripe is the service at the counters was SLOOOOOW. There were only like five guest with two cashiers and it took forever to get thru the line. UGH.

It is a quality meal at a decent price for those guests wanting to remain on property. Good atmosphere except for the occasional too loud of a child at the pool. Would I eat there again? Yes. Will it be frequently? No.

For me if I am craving a burger there is Red Robin just down the street and In-n-Out a few exits away. Worth it to me to go to those places.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
This weekend will be crazy busy at the resort with all of the new offerings. I may just have to visit TS instead.

:tikki:

Disney4us2
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
We will be there on Saturday. Thought about heading over to the DLH to try out one of the new restaurants. I am getting tired of Whitewater snacks.

BrerGnat
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
We will be there on Saturday. Thought about heading over to the DLH to try out one of the new restaurants. I am getting tired of Whitewater snacks.

Go to Tangaroa Terrace! It's GOOOOOOD!

I just got back from DLR. My son wanted to get a burger and fries at Whitewater, so we went there for him, but I held out for TT. I knew that they didn't have regular french fries there (only sweet potato fries, which DS does NOT like). Glad I waited. Although I did get slightly lost trying to find Tangaroa Terrace, I did find it. I drooled over the delicious looking desserts and pastries before ordering my lunch from the touch screen kiosks (LOVE THOSE, glad to finally see them at Disneyland!).

I got the Kalua Pulled Pork Flatbread. Paid, got my number, and took a seat outside so we could overlook the pool area.

My flatbread arrived very quickly (in under 5 min) and I dug in.

Approximately 5 minutes later, it was gone. :blush: It was SO good. I could have eaten another one. ;) I loved the overall look and ambiance of it. It sort of reminded me of the Polynesian Resort, but I liked it better. If the Poly was more like this, I'd stay there. :D

I give this place two thumbs way up! Although it is small, there is plenty of seating both indoors and out, and the food offerings are really unique and everything I saw that others had looked amazing! Can't wait to go back.

Here's some pics I snapped of the venue and my lunch!

Disney4us2
06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
That look so good. I can't wait to go there. I saw a menu and they have salmon & rice on the kids menu. Jess will love it. Salmon and rice are one of her favorites.

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Are either of the new places table service or are they both quick service?

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Are either of the new places table service or are they both quick service?

Tangaroa Terrace is quick service, but they bring your food to the table for you. You get a number and then it's brought out. In addition, they use "real" plates and silverware. They bus the dirty plates and flatware away at the end of the meal. In addition, if you buy a fountain drink, they will get you a refill if they see your cup is empty. So, it's what Disney is calling "casual quick service".

Trader Sam's is a traditional bar. You can sit at the bar or at tables inside or outside (they are more comfortable seats than the ones for the Terrace next door). You will have a waiter, and you can order drinks as well as a variety of "bar foods" like wings and stuff like that. Many of the same food items from Tangaroa Terrace are on the menu, but if you order from Trader Sam's, it's more like TS (but still a bar atmosphere, if that makes sense). I guess, it's like eating at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly. Trader Sam's and Tangaroa Terrace share a building, but they have a wall separating them, so if you are inside one, you can't see inside the other. There are separate entrances to each.

MegaDisney
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM

I have confirmed that there are several interactive props that activate when certain drinks are ordered at Trader Sam's. One is a ship in a bottle that animates, goes through a storm then sinks.

Have also read that there are several props from The Adventures Club at WDW in the bar.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Mega, the bar is totally cool. You will enjoy it a great deal. The interactive drinks are fun but the bartenders are already tired of making them. I ordered a regular cocktail and they loved me for it.

One comment regarding the bar is our experience yesterday. We went on a Saturday night and there was a line to get in. Now I know it is a summer weekend, but don't you think you should have made the capacity higher than 40 some odd people? Seems like a lot of money spent on theming for such a small payoff. There is seating available outside, but the only seats available to us was a bench and table across from another couple with a baby. Uhm. No, thank you.

So we waited about fifteen minutes to get a seat at the bar. Once in, we had a blast. Brent had a Shrunken Head (his current fav) and I tried the Pirahna something or other. LOL. It was tasty, but won't get that again. Too much like a Pina Colada for me. Several people were having Uh-Oh-Ahs which meant lots of bar interaction. Was fun. It rained mainy times on us too. We ordered the pulled pork flatbread and that was very yummy! It was gone in seconds. LOL

Crow
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
sounds interesting. if i do go out there in Sept Ill check it out