PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain?

idreamofdisney
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
What kind of a ride is Space Mountain? I remember it is in the dark but I was wondering if it is still there and is it a big roller coaster with big drops? My 9 year old daughter is just begining to like small coaster so I don't want to scare her. thank-you!!!

Disney Goof
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes Space Mountain is still there and it is still in the dark. There are multiple drops and it seems faster than it is because you cannot see where you are going.

You also would have to ride behind your child too. There is only one person per car. When we first took our little ones on it we would put our arms over their shoulders. They are 6 and 5 now and they absolutely love it, it is their favorite ride!!!!:number1:

What rollercoasters have you been on before? You can also find the ride on Youtube as well.

Good luck.:mickey:

RBrooksC
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
This ride is very similar, if not exactly like the old, "wild mouse" coasters you see at amusement parks.

All Disney did was take it indoors and turn off the lights.

There are no big drops and no inversions. It goes 28 mph and consists of short, abrupt drops and quick turns.

But, while it is in the dark and you can't see where you are going, the space effects are fantastic.

joonyer
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes Space Mountain is still there and it is still in the dark. There are multiple drops and it seems faster than it is because you cannot see where you are going.

You also would have to ride behind your child too. There is only one person per car. When we first took our little ones on it we would put our arms over their shoulders. They are 6 and 5 now and they absolutely love it, it is their favorite ride!!!!:number1:

What rollercoasters have you been on before? You can also find the ride on Youtube as well.

Good luck.:mickey:

There are actually 3 Seats per car, but they are single file, one behind the other.

Just-Keep-Swimming
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
the only concerns I would have is the darkness and getting thrown around on the sharp curves. I know the seats are much better than they used to be, but im somewhat small and get tossed around a bit. I wouldnt have any fears of falling out, but this jerking motion might scare some kids. Other might absolutely love it! but i know it would have terrified me...:blush: even now, my legs are so sore after holding tightly to the bar the whole ride...

The ride itself isnt really any worse than BTMRR just in the dark and a little more jerky.

disneymom15
05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
The ride itself isnt really any worse than BTMRR just in the dark and a little more jerky.
Perfect way to explain it!

Buttercup
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Actually, doesn't BTMRR travel faster than Space Mountain? But because you're in the dark, Space Mountain just *feels* faster?

Disney-4-Me
05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd recommend not putting a child in the front seat of the 6 person rocket. That seat still scares the bejesus out of me. I'd much rather see the back of someone's head and know where I'm going next than to only see dark space in front of me!

Once my kids worked up the nerve to ride it, it quickly became a favorite and they couldn't get enough.:thumbsup:

lylahsmommy
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Hmm, this post has me thinking. My daughter (who will be turning 5 the weekend we go... 3 weeks) is about 43 inches right now. If she actually grows enough in the next few weeks to make the 44 inch cutoff (haha, I know, probably not likely), then should I let her ride it?

She keeps drinking fresh green juice with the hope that it will make her grow, hahaha, but even if she does make the cutoff, I'm a little scared. She is tiny, very light. I'm afraid she'd fly out! With the other rides I am not worried because I can sit right beside her and hold onto her. But since that's not possible with Space Mountain, I'm a little scared. :(

Luv4WDW
05-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I rode this when I was 5 years old and absolutely loved it! I, too, was extremely small. I probably hung on for dear life, but looking back, I really didn't need to. You need to do what's right for your own child, but I wouldn't be too worried about the safety of it. I generally hate rides because of the safety concerns of them, but that's something I NEVER worry about at Disney. They all seem extremely safe to me.

AXOAlum
05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
She is tiny, very light. I'm afraid she'd fly out! With the other rides I am not worried because I can sit right beside her and hold onto her. But since that's not possible with Space Mountain, I'm a little scared. :(

The first few times we rode it with DS when he was tall enough, he sat in the middle seat with hubby in front of him and me behind him. I kept my hand on his shoulder the whole time (not easy to do) - not because I could have physically kept him from falling out, but because it comforted me to just have my hand on him. He HATED this - so after that, we would put a glow necklace on him (even during the day) and that helped me feel better about it. Also, the CM's were really great to "double check" that his bar was locked down tight. Be warned that it is VERY jerky - I thought the refurb would help that, but apparently not.

:welcome: to Intercot :mickey:

Disney Goof
05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
If you do decide to ride it with your child, do it at the end of the day. I say this because if you do it first thing and they don't like it they might not want to go on anything the rest of the day.

Have a great time!!!

Tygger7
05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
To the OP...just to clarify, are you asking about Space Mountain at WDW, or Space Mountain at Disneyland? The cars are set up differently, and I believe DL's version is a launching coaster. Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. (I haven't made it out to DL since they refurbed SM.)

If you are asking about WDW's SM, I agree with what other's have said. Each person sits in their own seat now, and there are no big drops. If your child can handle Big Thunder, then they should do fine on SM.

Ryan Towle
05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
If you are asking about WDW's SM, I agree with what other's have said. Each person sits in their own seat now, and there are no big drops. If your child can handle Big Thunder, then they should do fine on SM.

Actually, the largest drop is 30 feet. That may be big for some people, but then again, most people can take it in stride.

lylahsmommy
05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
If your child can handle Big Thunder, then they should do fine on SM.

For me, my daughter was pretty fine with Big Thunder at Disneyland for her 4th birthday.... but I was also holding onto her for dear life, lol. It's the whole "not being in the same seat" thing that scares me.

idreamofdisney
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
To the OP...just to clarify, are you asking about Space Mountain at WDW, or Space Mountain at Disneyland? The cars are set up differently, and I believe DL's version is a launching coaster. Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. (I haven't made it out to DL since they refurbed SM.)

Sorry, I am talking about WDW Space Mountain. Thanks for your help! I think she will like it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ransam
05-04-2011, 12:24 AM
for me, it is kind of a jerky ride....not smooth at all.

RBrooksC
05-04-2011, 07:29 AM
for me, it is kind of a jerky ride....not smooth at all.

That is the nature of a "wild mouse" coaster. They aren't designed to be smooth rides. They are based on short, quick drops and sharp turns.

My favorite part of the ride is when you can see the "earth" above you on the ceiling. I usually really allow myself to suspend disbelief and think of myself actually in space.

brownie
05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
I think it's a much smoother ride since the rehab, at least it seemed that way after riding it several times on our trip last year.

whitney37354
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Jerky & bumpy. I don't remember any drops, but I was in the back of the 3-person pod, trying to hold my backpack & seat restraint with one hand & keep the other hand on DD (age 5) who was in the middle seat. DH was in front. I woke up the next morning to a huge bruise all along the bottom part of my upper arm! It didn't hurt, but it sure was ugly!

DH wanted to ride, just to say he had done it. In the picture DD looks scared & DH looks like he's having a great time. I just look concerned that I'm losing DD &/or backpack. The opposite is true: DD like it, DH hated it, & I was just waiting for it to be over! I knew DD wouldn't fall out, but I couldn't help myself...:cool:

Stu29573
05-04-2011, 03:22 PM

DL, CA is not a launching coaster, but DL, Paris is.

GBBT
05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I think it's a much smoother ride since the rehab, at least it seemed that way after riding it several times on our trip last year.

I agree.I didn't ride it for a few years because of the way it jerked you around and had concern for my DS since he was small.He got bigger and he rode it for the 1st time at CHRISTmas and couldn't get him off.:D:thumbsup:

Zeike
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi! in 2008 my son then 6 1/2 wanted to ride this for the 1st time. What we did was leave this ride for the end of the day. We went in a car and he wanted to go in the front it was good as I could reach for him and touch him. Ride itself is pretty much like Big Thunder Mountain but dark. After the ride our son was thrilled and wanted to go again. Give it a try!!