PDA

View Full Version : Best places at Night as WDW

jaredkari
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I know this is probably a thread that has been discussed before but nonetheless I was wondering how others felt about it. I am not just thinking what attractions are better at night but rather what areas of the parks or resorts are cool at night?

PrettyMinnie
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
We really enjoy the Boardwalk area at night! There are a lot of games and side shoes for kids (and adults) to enjoy, as well as some sack foods and good TS restaurants to enjoy. If you are going adults only Jellyrolls is great for dancing! Love the Boardwalk area at night! You can also watch Illuminations. :cloud9:

MarkC
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Ditto on the boardwalk. Also Stormalong Bay at BC has great lighting. Of course, walking down Main Street and walking around the World Showcase are unbeatable. Lastly, Jungle Cruise is a completely different ride at night.

Good thread by the way.

lylahsmommy
05-02-2011, 12:43 AM
For my daughter's 3rd birthday, we ended our trip at the Magic Kingdom. The last ride we went on, while the fireworks were going off, was the astro orbiters. It was phenomenal. Flying way up high in the sky, having a beautiful view of the fireworks.... it was so magical. PERFECT way to end the night... and trip.

I HIGHLY suggest saving the astro orbiters for the end of your day at the Magic Kingdom... preferably when the fireworks are going on. Amazing.

Also, the astro orbiters at night is somewhat akin to space mountain. :mickey:

Hazmat
05-02-2011, 01:52 AM
I always enjoy thunder mountain at night. But there is nothing better in my opinion than standing in the queue for the tower of terror at night :)

beksy
05-02-2011, 02:01 AM
I like the atmosphere around the Poly at night and anywhere in the MK! I like to do the Jungle Cruise, HM, Splash, and BTMRR at night.

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 05:03 AM
We just love Epcot at night... it's just so beautiful, when everything is lit up. :cloud9:

Pop Centurion
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I love the atmosphere of World Showcase after Illuminations. The music playing really sets the mood & makes it very difficult to leave the park. When home I can listen to that music in my headphones while laying back with my eyes closed & imagine I'm there.

The Boardwalk also has nice nighttime atmosphere. The smells from the different restaurants, music coming from Jellyrolls & ADH, along with the outside entertainment all while walking or looking out across the water is a very peaceful, relaxing time for me.

Stormalong bay at the Y&BC is a nice spot I like to walk through at night too. I've never stayed there but I can imagine how nice a late dip in that pool would be.

I also enjoy walking around Pop late at night when there's few people out. I always come back late from the parks exhausted but get a boost of energy when I get back there. As many times as I've done it I still like to walk around at night taking pictures or just enjoying the lights. You always pass others doing the same that greet you with a friendly "hello" or the occasional kids giggling & running to their room from the pool which always brings a smile to my face.

BWayGrl
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I love walking around Tomorrowland at night. The way it's lit up just adds to the retro-modern theme.

Riding Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster at night does add to the thrill of each ride.

Pop Centurion
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh shoot! I forgot to mention the beach at Poly & pool area at WL. Both great nighttime spots.

wdwluv
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I've never ridden Jungle Cruise at night! I'm going to have to try that out! I experienced Thunder Mountain at night, for the first time this last trip, and its the only time to do it for me now!

LovinWDW
05-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Here is a list of ours in no certain order:

1. The countries of EPCOT
2. The Boardwalk
3. Frontier Land
4. Main Street
5. Down Town Disney
6. Area behind Yatch and Beach Clubs
7. Animal viewing at AKL
8. The boat dock at WL

laprana
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
EE in AK is my all time favorite nighttime ride! It's a great ride during the day, but has a whole different feel when it's dark outside! Though, it will be hard to experience it at night again unless Disney brings back evening EMH at AK! :(

I also love riding Test Track at night and just wandering around Tomorrowland in MK. And I agree that Jungle Cruise at night is a whole different ride than during the day! Lots of fun! :thumbsup:

artyboy
05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=laprana;2166030]EE in AK is my all time favorite nighttime ride! It's a great ride during the day, but has a whole different feel when it's dark outside! Though, it will be hard to experience it at night again unless Disney brings back evening EMH at AK! :(

I totally agree...and I hope they bring back the EMHs at AK! The whole park is beautiful after dark!

mousetrapper
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
EE in AK is my all time favorite nighttime ride! It's a great ride during the day, but has a whole different feel when it's dark outside! Though, it will be hard to experience it at night again unless Disney brings back evening EMH at AK! :(

I absolutely agree! One of our favorite experiences of all time at WDW (or anywhere for that matter) was evening EMH at AK -- I believe it was the year EE opened. We rode the ride over and over again. Walking through the Nepal area outside the ride was soooo amazing at night. We could also hear the "ooooo....ooooo" sound of the Yeti in the wooded area outside the ride -- we hadn't noticed it during the day, probably because it was more crowded and noisy. It was so eerie! Our DDs always remember getting some hot tea at Anandapur Tea Co. that night.

Here's wishing they'll bring back evening EMH at AK! :magic:

crltkcagle
05-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Some of the best things to do/see at night:
1. Find the fairy dust in Epcot.
2. Ride Jungle Cruise.
3. Watch the colors change on the castle.
4. Watch the janitors "paint" pictures on the ground.
5. Ride Thunder Mountain.
6. Enjoy a stroll through downtown Disney.
7. Ride the ferry back to Transportation and Ticket Center.
8. We just love the atmosphere of being at any park at night. Its much cooler and not as crowded.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Where do the janitors paint pictures on the ground? :mickey:

Disney-4-Me
05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
We've been lucky enough to find janitors painting pictures on the asphalt in Tomorrowland twice. They use water for paint.

Back to the original question: I am having a difficult time deciding between a nighttime walk through the grounds at the Polynesian and simply standing on Main Street watching the castle change colors with twinkling lights in the trees in the foreground.

Either one...:cloud9:

lylahsmommy
05-02-2011, 11:43 PM
So, admittedly, the Jungle Cruise is one of my least favorite rides at MK because AK has real animals... though I do enjoy it from time to time for nostalgia's sake.

That being said, I've never done it at night. Now I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for the suggestions! :mickey:

AXOAlum
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
JC at night is a must as is BTMRR! We are going to try Dumbo at night this trip (on one of the late night EMH) - we usually only get to ride it once at the beginning of the day. :mickey:

darthmacho
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I'll definitely agree with BTMRR. Fabulous night ride!
I also love the atmosphere of the resorts at night, my favorite being Wilderness Lodge, but I also love Coronado Springs and Port Orleans Riverside. :mickey:

DisneyDoug2
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
My top three are:
1. EE in AK
2. JC in MK
3. TT in HS

EJS-Houston
05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I always enjoy thunder mountain at night. But there is nothing better in my opinion than standing in the queue for the tower of terror at night :)

Couldn't agree more...in fact, I like the whole Disney Studios at night, with the Tower lit up, and the giant Mickey Sorcerer's hat with the spray of search lights behind it, and Gertie the Dinosaur all lit up.

Hazmat
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
lets face it. Most places in the world are nice at night! :p

DisneyorBust
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
There are so many places that I enjoy at WDW at night, in no particular order:

1) Polynesian Resort -tiki torches burning, Polynesian music in the background and watching 'WISHES!' from the beach.

2) The World Showcase- it seems to be a bit more quiet in the darkness and the Pavillions take on a different "feel".

3) Tomorrowland- I love the lighting and the BGM.

I agree with previous poster Hazmat, most places in the "World" arenice at night.

Niecyboo
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I agree about Animal Kingdom at night, but another favorite is the boat ride from Downtown Disney to Port Orleans. It's so quiet and peaceful at night.

catkrazy
05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Poly Beach, Splash Mountain and the Rose & Crown patio during Illuminations are my 3 favs!!

EvilQueen2006
05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I agree about Animal Kingdom at night, but another favorite is the boat ride from Downtown Disney to Port Orleans. It's so quiet and peaceful at night.

I can see how this would be true. Unfortunately, my only trip on this boat at night was disrupted by a mother and teenage daughter screaming at each other. It started in line to get on the boat, and continued the whole ride back to the resort and across the grounds at POFQ.

Anyway my favorite spots at night are walking the long way around world showcase after illuminations, getting back into futureworld after most of the crowds have cleared out. I love the sparkly sidewalks and Seeing spaceship Earth all lit up. I also love splash mountain during the fireworks, as well as big thunder. I have never tried astro orbitors during the fireworks, but I bet that would be amazing too.

andywicks
05-04-2011, 07:10 AM
The Haunted Mansion is cool at night - I remember doing it just before MK closed about 1 am one night - SPOOKY!:secret:

Wilderness Lodge pier is also cool - watch Wishes fireworks with a mug of hot chocolate and my lovely wife!

BWayGrl
05-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Some of the best things to do/see at night:
1. Find the fairy dust in Epcot.

What is the fairy dust? Is it the fiber optics in the sidewalk near Innoventions?

MrPeetrie
05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
While I agree with most that has been already posted, we've never ridden Jungle Cruise at night. We'll have to try that next trip.

Two of our favorites are:
1.) Main Street, U.S.A. I love being there at night. Magical place to watch fireworks. Love to shop at Emporium.

2.) World showcase. We love to walk around and sample, shop at night. On a typical 9-night vacation, we will end up there four times at night.

Mousemates
05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Favorite Night Spots:

1. Main Street at park closing.

2. Riding the Astro-Orbiter in Fantasyland

3. Watching the electric water parade from the beach at the Poly

4. Any balcony overlooking the Boardwalk

5. Dusk/Night water taxi rides from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney

6. The exterior portion of Splash Mountain where you can overlook the MK

7. EE (the views are fantastic).

8. The "walk home" from either DS or Epcot to the BC/YC/Swan etc.

whitney37354
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I enjoyed walking around Space Mountain, COP, etc. All the lighting around there was neat.

SillySymphony
05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
This is one of those occasions where you debate whether or not to give up your "secret fishin' spot", y'know...? But for a quiet respite from the "World", involving a bit of romance, there's a spot just past the Poly on the sidewalk leading to the Floridian that I love. It is a final beachfront area that is, generally speaking, left alone. Sandy beach with a view of MK and a two-person swing... Grab a drink from Capt Cook's and enjoy...!

BandMan
05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Last rip we rode BTMRR during fireworks. It was REALLLLLLY cool. :fworks: :joy:

McLiberal8
05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I could spend an hour riding the WEDway Peoplemover at night. The cool night breeze, Wishes in the background, a raspberry lemonade slush in hand... life doesn't get any better.

ransam
05-27-2011, 04:38 PM
I went one year w/ my ex gf to the hula dinner at Polynesian. we took a wrong turn and ended up on a small beach. we sat in the beach chairs for about an hour. it was awesome. so cool, so refreshing, so calming....i have done that ever year i've gone.

IloveDisney71
05-27-2011, 09:27 PM
We've been lucky enough to find janitors painting pictures on the asphalt in Tomorrowland twice. They use water for paint.

:cloud9:

We saw them "painting" Disney characters on Main Street one night when we were some of the last guests leaving the MK. I have pictures of Pluto, Mickey, & some other characters...I can't remember which ones right now. It was a neat surprise - I'd never seen them doing that before - he was just "painting with water and a broom! :mickey:

IloveDisney71
05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
I love walking around any of the parks or resorts when it's dark. Disney has a magical way of lighting things that changes the entire feel of the parks/resorts from the way they feel during the day.
But if I had to pick I'd have to say that I enjoy walking around the AK the best at night. It's just so peaceful.

SandmanGStefani24
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
i love the look of tomorrowland at night. the neon and the strange designs make it fun to see when it gets dark.
riding BTMR at night is great too, especially when the castle is lit up. it's a great sight!

also, the fiber optics around spaceship earth at night are something i always love to see when leaving. does make me a little sad, but it's something i always make a point to see.

Fastpasssteve
05-28-2011, 12:56 AM
We just love Epcot at night... it's just so beautiful, when everything is lit up. :cloud9:

I feel the same way. While we see "Wishes" at least two times each visit, we most often find ourselves in EPCOT in the evening! We love the lights in the trees by the stage across from The American Adventure, the illuminated buildings, and the giant torches that herald the coming of Illuminations! I also have a great sense of wellbeing, dwelling in the goodwill of the people that are there in this place...a place about something bigger than each of us individually. I find the place inspiring...especially in the magic of the night.

Lightning McQueen
05-28-2011, 01:47 PM
So many worth mentioning, but my favorite spot is in the Fantasmic theater. I love seeing all of the colorful glowing toys the kids have and the anticipation of my favorite show in the world.

Stitch98
05-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I personally enjoy the Tower of Terror area at night. It is really crreapy!:scared:

WDWgoofy
05-28-2011, 07:00 PM
1. Epcot is the best.
2. Tommorowland

WDW24
05-29-2011, 08:16 AM
I've always loved all of the parks at night. One attraction that stands out to me is Big Thunder Mountain. It is really exciting at night, I definitely recommend it during EMH.

EpcotFan182
05-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I love the Boardwalk at night - there's a lot to do and the atmosphere is just great. If you're looking for something to do at night other than the parks I would definitely recommend the Boardwalk! :mickey:

johnO
05-30-2011, 09:20 AM
World Showcase at night is unreal!! Man i've got WDW fever

ryca1dreams
05-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I think I prefer Tomorrowland or the Poly-GF-MK boat launch. That's fun at night.

However, anywhere is great at night. I'm kind of a night person though, so I'm a little biased. If the parks were opened all night, I'd be one to stay until the sun rose.

jenperich
06-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I just love everywhere in Disney at night. My favorite places at night are Epcot, because of World Showcase, Spaceship Earth, and the "fairy dust". My other favorite place is Main Street! You can't beat these places.

slegrant
06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
My favorite spot at night is on the beach at Fort Wilderness watching the boat launches, the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes.

I will say that I love every place at Walt Disney World at night, they do an amazing job with lighting and music......very magical place:mickey:

darthmacho
06-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I was just looking at my photo albums, and want to add a few great night favorites of mine, even though they've all been mentioned by others:

Tomorrowland
Future World
Hollywood and Sunset Blvds, yes, even with the big hat, but especially because of the neon Pluto!

I also want to reiterate my previous answer which was the resorts themselves seem to have a whole new dimension after dark, kind of inviting and homey...:mickey: