PDA

View Full Version : Switching resorts in the middle of vacation

EvilQueen2006
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I am thinking of doing something I have never done. I have stayed at POFQ the last two trips( well last trip and 1 coming up), and really like the resort, and the price. I saw someone mention on the boards that for about the same cost of 7 nights at a mod, they have done 5 nights at a value + 2 nights at a deluxe. This would be a great way to try out a deluxe resort that I otherwise would not be able to afford. My question is, how much of a pain is it to switch resorts in the middle of your vacation? Has anyone done this, and what was the experience like?

johnO
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
WDW will move your bags for you.

DizneyRox
05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Disney will move your bags, provided you're going to another Disney resort. They won't move them TO the Swan or Dolphin.

The morning of your switch contact bell services and tell them the new resort. Later that day, you can have bell services bring your bags to your new room.

You still need to check into the new resort, etc.

Possible problems are tickets and the dining plans. Each resort is considered a new stay. Dining credits on the first stay will expire midnight of the day you check out of that hotel. And many times there is a minimum ticket purchase required to be eligible for a package discount, so two nights MAY not be enough.

gerald72
05-02-2011, 01:51 AM
You wouldn't want a package for the second stay. Get a room only reservation.
Get enough park admissions on the first stay to cover both stays.

beksy
05-02-2011, 02:04 AM
We've done this several times and it is not too big of a hassle. Other than needing to pack our things in the middle and unpack again, with a little planning everything else works out smoothly.

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 04:49 AM
We did this our last trip, 5 nights at CBR, 5 at AKL. It was SO easy... although we were blessed b/c of a very kind CM who offered help at the last minute, which he certainly didn't have to do, but made everything that much easier.

We had just been planning on taking an early morning taxi from CBR over to AKL... we knew WDW would move our bags, but we weren't planning on heading to a park until MNSSHP that night, so we wanted to check in early at AKL with our luggage, be able to unpack and relax and enjoy the resort that day. We were told that WDW might not have our bags there until the afternoon, so we chose a taxi.

Just so happened that the CM who was taking us from our "island" at CBR to the Custom House to catch our taxi had some free time, and he offered to just take us directly to AKL. Sold!! :thumbsup: We called and cancelled our taxi, gave our CM the tip instead, and had a direct trip over.

Depending on your plans for the day you move, I'd say either way is easy... it's just the packing up mid-trip that's a bit of a pain. (and I felt a bit unsettled when I unpacked at the start of the trip, as I kept some things packed I knew I wouldn't need 'til after we'd moved, and that felt odd...) But if you've got the chance to try a deluxe that you wouldn't otherwise have the chance to try, which was our case, as well, I say go for it!! :)

EvilQueen2006
05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. The trip wouldn't be for a couple years probably so I guess I have plenty of time to think it over

Disney-4-Me
05-03-2011, 12:56 AM
We've divided our stay several times. It's not a big hassle and well worth it for us. We like to try different resorts but also stay at the Polynesian which is our favorite.

One year we drove down and knew we would arrive late. The Pop Century was new so we stayed there the first night. We then drove over to the Poly for the middle of our trip then stayed at All Star Movies for our last night. In addition to saving money, we also got to try out two new resorts.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone but since our boys are light packers and fend for themselves, it was an easy move both times.

Inside The Magic
05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi

There is no problem with doing two resort stay. Tell your travel agent or the Disney res agent that you are going to two different resorts. On the first reservation which has to be the longer stay of at least 3 nights you can add as many days worth of tickets you want. So that will be a package.

Your second reservation has to be made as a room only since you have tickets from the first one. Also make sure if you are using Magical Express they have the information.