PDA

View Full Version : New UK band replaces British Invasion

WDWdriver
05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
From the Cast Member information site:

"Beginning Tuesday, May 3, we will welcome a new four-piece, high-energy band to the United Kingdom pavilion at Epcot to replace The British Invasion. Spanning decades of popular British music, every set is an epic concert and every show is a chronological journey with random fun facts about the songs and artists you have come to know and love through the years. From the Dave Clark Five and the Beatles, to the music of Led Zeppelin and The Who, our guests will have a whole new reason to sing and dance!"

The British Invasion's contract ended April 30.

BluewaterBrad
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks! I will be checking them out on June the third!:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Wow! How many years had the British Invasion been there in EPCOT? They were really great!

Best of luck to this new group. Will be seeing them in July!

NJGIRL
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Wow, I thought the BI was very popular. I hope the new band is just as good.

AmandaChan
05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I have to admit I am sad about this.. My MIL is the biggest Beatles fan and I was so excited to spend the evening in UK with her watching the later songs and drinkng a beer :(

Disney-4-Me
05-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I just had to break this news to my hubby. His favorite thing is to hang out in the pub talking to strangers and trying the brews until it is time for the BI's show then back to the pub and repeat...

Let's just say he's not happy right now!:(

PopPhan
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
So, this new 4-piece combo doesn't have a name?

Altair
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
So, this new 4-piece combo doesn't have a name?

According to a thread in News/Rumors, the name of the band is The British Airwaves.

johnO
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Big time Beatles fan here..not too happy about this but will keep an open mind on the new band..

EllieMae
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
As much as I love the British Invasion, I am excited to see this new band. I know that Disney will not disappoint! I think it will still be a great show with great music and great :beer:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
DH loved the British Invasion ... his reaction to the new band ... a simple "oh". We will check them out on the next trip though!

mgmnut
05-02-2011, 05:15 AM
Bummer to see British Invasion go. :( It was in the plan to sit and relax and listen to them on our July trip. I guess we will have to give this new band a try. Hopefully they don't disappoint

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Hmmm.... I'm reserving judgement until we check them out in August, but being a child of the 80's, I loved all of the British bands that came out of that era. I'll be excited to hear what they'll be playing, esp. since they'll still be mixing the Beatles in and some of the older British bands. Ought to be interesting, to say the least!

MongoMil
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Yay some change. If they play all those types of music as good as BI did the Beatles then its gonna be a good show cant wait to see it in september. Oh and I dont know why people still cant get there beer and sit there and listen to this music? I am sure Disney didnt hire some slacker of a band so cant wait.

RAIDER
05-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I am going to miss the British Invasion ,but if their going to play all types of British Music ,then it cant be a bad thing ... I look forward to giving them a shout :thumbsup:

lettripp
05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm kinda psyched to hear the harder side of British rock! :music:

bdm@pga
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
This actually makes sense. We were down over christmas and the shop at the corner where the BI played had very little beatles merchandise any more, and was stoking up on all british rock and roll groups..stones, zeppelin, the who. BI was great, but this sounds like the shows can change frequently and new music can be added.

MinnieMommie
05-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Will miss the British Invasion but this new group sounds fun. I am excited that they will be mixing up genres and periods. :thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Well, it's not like the British Invasion was always the same group of guys. Personnel changed over the years. It was the band's decision to leave. They played more than just Beatles music. I for one am looking forward to the new band.

:sulley:

Mousemates
05-04-2011, 10:10 AM
enjoyed the old band, kind of figure I'll enjoy the new one too.

MrPeetrie
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
DH ... his reaction to the new band ... a simple "oh". We will check them out on the next trip though!

Same here. Our favorite group, however, is Off Kilter. Hopefully, they will be in Epcot in October.

ransam
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Love the Beatles, but it will be nice to get a bigger variety of music. I am a huge fan of The Who...so that will be fun.

big blue and hairy
05-04-2011, 06:05 PM
The British Invasion actually played other bands songs than the Beatles. They were all very early British songs though, like the British invasion era. The new band The English Channel still plays older songs but also plays some not as old songs and from a wider variety of bands.

:sulley:

Altair
05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
The new band is English Channel and their debut performance is on YouTube.:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Shhhhh! Don't tell my travelling companions, but I am not a Beatles purist. I am excited to hear this new ensemble. But, let's just keep this to ourselves, ok?

I am a trained classical musician, and could clearly recognize the talent present in the BI. They were fine players with exPENsive guitars!!! I hope this new group's skills are just as finely honed.

TracyL
05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Taking a look at the YouTube video of their debut performance. I get a sense they're a little nervous, not quite as polished as Mo'Rockin', BI, Off Kilter who've been playing EPCOT for years. But there's a lot of talent there. Once they settle into the groove, I think they're going to be great!

Great variety of music, and quite the edgy look and sound -- kind of surprising for Disney, honestly!

BugeyedMuggy
05-05-2011, 09:40 AM
The new group sounds really good. We will check them out on Saturday.

phlo8810
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Let me say that my favorite thing to do in epcot is watch the BI with a guiness in my hand. After watching that YouTube video I must say I am not impressed. Variety is great. But being a huge Beatles fan this new band doesn't cut it. I like all the bands they cover but there was something special about seeing BI. Knowing you were going to here mostly Beatles songs. They once did a version of here comes the sun that I happened to video tape once that to this day I still love hearing. They will be missed. And I will definitely check out these new guys, but not expect the same feeling.

CaptSmee
05-05-2011, 11:31 PM
The last couple times I saw British Invasion I thought they were not very good...doesn't surprise me that they are being replaced.

micky95
05-09-2011, 04:38 PM
just got back yesterday (may 8) and saw the new band.my dw & i were'nt impressed but we enjoyed the show . we prefer BI but kept an open mind on hearing the new band.we always made it to at least 2 BI shows each time at epcot.if we're in the area we might stop in and see this new group but it's not a must see show for us anymore.

sassafras
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
We were there last week, and noticed the different band. They seemed very high energy, sounded good, and the crowd seemed larger and to enjoy them!

mouseketeer mom
05-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I didn't know I was watching the British Invasion for the last time when I saw them last week!!!:( I love them alot..Well, something new to look forward to..right??

kemps@wdw
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Since DH is a huge Who fan and we like pretty well all the British sounds, even the oldies, I'm pretty excited to see this new group! Although, I did like kicking back w/a cold one and enjoying the sounds of the British Invasion, this new band sounds great!

kemps@wdw
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I checked out this new group last night on their website, www.britishrockband.com and was pleasantly surprised. The range of music runs all the way back to the british bands of the 60's.:rocker:
I think they will do well. Even though they're called the British Airwaves, I don't know that they'll use that name @ WDW. I'll look forward to checkin them out on our next visit.

RAIDER
05-12-2011, 03:26 AM
We were there last week, and noticed the different band. They seemed very high energy, sounded good, and the crowd seemed larger and to enjoy them!

How many minutes were they on set for ? and what songs did they play ?
I will be checking them out when i go in Dec for sure :thumbsup:

Melanie
05-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Even though they're called the British Airwaves, I don't know that they'll use that name @ WDW.

They are known as the English Channel at Epcot.

SharkBait
05-12-2011, 11:40 AM
After watching the video I love the mix of songs. One thing I will miss is seeing the British Invasion dressed up...

Maybe they could stick with music from a particular decade for each set, and dress appropriately for that decade...