PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Question

merlinmagic4
04-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Hello :mickey:

We stay at an offsite timeshare resort and rent a car when we fly to Orlando. With the cost of rental cars getting so ridiculous, I was wondering if it made more sense to take a taxi into the parks in the morning and then home again at night. We are right around the corner on 535 so I imagine the cost isn't too bad. I'm wondering about the availability/service and how it all works. Would we have to call for a taxi or are they usually parked somewhere? Would it be a terribly long wait to get one at the end of the night?

faline
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I often see taxis in the parking lots at the parks - there certainly seem to be an adequate number of them though I'm not sure whether or not there'd be a problem when the parks are emptying out.

You can get a sense of what the cab fare would be here. (http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando)

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
The only place this can be a hassle is leaving Magic Kingdom. You can only catch taxis at the TTC. HOWEVER, you can walk over to the Contemporary and catch a taxi there. There are always a few waiting in the hotel parking lots at all times of day.

I've seen LINES of taxis at the exits of every other park, near the buses. If you think it's worth it, do it. Fare will be about $12-15 each way. We took a cab from Downtown Disney to the Contemporary once and it was around $12.

Melanie
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I recently took a cab from Wilderness Lodge to the Boardwalk and it was over $20. All that weaving to get out of the MK resort area really adds up, so I'd be careful there.

NJGIRL
04-30-2011, 09:52 AM
You can go onto Mears web site and they have a screen where you can plug in numbers and get what your fare will be.

Renting a car for the week may be cheaper and driving around the WDW area is so easy. We do it every trip because 7 out of the 10 days we are also in a timeshare.

merlinmagic4
04-30-2011, 10:05 AM
We usually do rent a car and I used to pay about 350/week for a mini-van. We drove this past trip (so had our own) but I was told that rental mini-vans for spring break week were running 800-1000.00 for the week. That's way over my budget so I was figuring 4-5 park days at 50.00/day taxi fare might be significantly cheaper.

NJGIRL
04-30-2011, 04:59 PM
We usually do rent a car and I used to pay about 350/week for a mini-van. We drove this past trip (so had our own) but I was told that rental mini-vans for spring break week were running 800-1000.00 for the week. That's way over my budget so I was figuring 4-5 park days at 50.00/day taxi fare might be significantly cheaper.

I can believe that. We used to get an SUV for rental every trip. It was costing us right around $300 - $320 for 10 days. Then about 3 years ago the cost skyrocketed and it is now almost $700 for less days (seven days). On our last three trips we switched to a full size car, which has worked out fine.

I just booked through Hertz the other day. For 7 days for a full size was $316. We are staying at Universal for three days so we will be without a car for that time to save money.

NH Disneyfan
04-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I assume parking at the theme parks had to be added in here. Not a bad idea to consider something new, but who would know a taxi might be well-priced!? Seriously!?!?

merlinmagic4
05-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I assume parking at the theme parks had to be added in here. Not a bad idea to consider something new, but who would know a taxi might be well-priced!? Seriously!?!?

Right!! I did consider the 14.00 for parking that I wouldn't have to pay :) Then it made me wonder....do the taxis pay anything to drop you off?

JessC416
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I've taken takes and sometimes had them give me cards to call them with for the ride home

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Right!! I did consider the 14.00 for parking that I wouldn't have to pay :) Then it made me wonder....do the taxis pay anything to drop you off?

No, they don't have to pay to drop you off.

SBETigg
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Depending on where you are, those cab fares can add up fast. It was $20 for us to go from the AKL to the GF. We've paid $30 from one of the Downtown hotels to MK. Don't forget to tip. I think renting a car would be a much better option, unless you're only thinking about an occasional cab ride.