PDA

View Full Version : Kids & Cabs on Property

gregf71
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
We may need to grab a cab between AKL and WL (and possibly WL and DTD) one evening. We will have our 5 year old DD with us. How would that work given that we will not have a child seat with us? I cannot imagine that the cabs that work on WDW property have them in their trunks just in case. What is the law in Florida? Even if the law would allow it in Florida, is it safe?

Thinking about it, the WDW shuttle buses don't have any sort of child safety restraints do they?

:confused:

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Cabs are supposed to have seats for kids in the trunks, but I bet most of them don't. You might have better luck calling the cab company ahead of time and requesting a cab with a booster seat.

I think the law in FL is kids 5 and under need to be in a seat of some sort. Possibly, it's kids "under 5". Regardless, if you have your child in a booster or car seat at home, it makes sense to do so on vacation. Because of this issue, we relied solely on WDW transportation on our trip when our boys were 5 and 4 last year. Just be sure to build in enough time for a resort-park-resort transfer.

There are buses that run between the resorts and DTD.

The WDW buses don't accommodate child restraint systems. They are mass transit buses, and you can feel pretty safe letting your young child ride one unrestrained.

faline
04-29-2011, 06:57 PM
According to Florida Highway Patrol:

What Florida Law says about...
Child Restraint Requirements

All children under the age of 18 must be buckled up while riding in any car, pickup truck, or van on Florida's roads, no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle.
Children through the age of 3 must be secured in a federally approved child-restraint seat.
Children ages 4 through 5 must be secured by either a federally approved child-restraint seat or a safety belt.
Drivers are responsible for buckling up the child.
The cost to a violator will be a minimum of $60.00 plus $10.00 court costs.