PDA

View Full Version : Venous insufficiency

Dyanna
04-29-2011, 04:33 PM
My mother will be taking her 1st trip to WDW with us for Halloween. She's only going for her granddaughter to see it thru her eyes(4). She has Venous insufficiency in which standing for long periods of time will cause her blood to clot amongst other thing in her legs. She will be renting a motorized scooter to get around. She will also have a letter from the dr. stating such condition. Any idea of weather or not they will even look at the letter & what are the chances she will still have to wait on the long lines for rides etc. What type of GAC should she be looking into or will the WDW staff judge for themselves?

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
No need for a doctor's note. HIPPA privacy laws prevent Disney from even looking at doctor's notes.

Simply go into Guest Services with your mother and explain the condition. Let them know that she cannot stand for long periods of time. They will issue her a GAC good for your party of up to 6 people total (including her) to allow for accommodations in line queues as needed. Many of the queues at WDW will allow her to go through in the ECV. She will also get accessible seating for shows.

The CMs at Guest Services will designate the appropriate GAC accommodations on the pass. Just let them know what your mother has trouble with.

Also, be aware that the GAC does NOT allow for shorter waits, just an alternate place to wait or use of an alternate entrance to bypass a traditional queue.

ElenitaB
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Natalie is correct... the doctor's letter won't enter into play due to HIPAA.

From personal experience (I have VI and lymphedema in my right leg), the best thing your mom can do is use the ECV, take every precaution the doctors recommend for travel O(particularly if you're flying), hydrate, rest (as in taking a break in the afternoon for your mom to put her leg up), etc. The GAC will be secondary to her keeping off her feet, which will be accomplished by her using the ECV. It will allow you access to seating that will allow your party to stay together at shows, a place to see the parades and fireworks (at least at Epcot) without people directly in front of her, and access to the special entrances to rides where they exist. Just be aware that "special" doesn't always mean shorter.

Have a great trip! :mickey: