PDA

View Full Version : Where is Everyone Going

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Where is everyone going this summer? We are staying close to home. We will be in Ocean City, NJ for the month of August. Is anyone going anywhere exciting? Somewhere you have always wanted to go and haven't had the chance unitl now. Maybe a place you are really excited to visit?

princessjojo
04-29-2011, 08:53 AM
We're doing WDW this year(:number1:) and our usual homage to Myrtle Beach to my mothers. But the trip I'm most excited about is one of my older DS school science trips to Yellowstone & Jackson Hole. Though not excited about flying across contry with 12 teenagers (10 of them boys) I am excited about the trip itself. Almost more than WDW!!!!

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Jojo, this is where we are looking into for the summer of 2012. I am really excited for you. It looks like a really interesting place!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
We need ideas!

We aren't doing Disney this summer, since we were just there in January, so we're trying to decide where to do.

DD really wants to see New York, but otherwise we're a bit stuck. (has to be 12 hours or less from Toronto - ideally!).

I look forward to hearing where everyone else is going.

princessjojo
04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
I'll have to forward you some pic when we get back. Most of our trip is educational since it is with the school, but this also assures I can see many things less touristy and more intriguing, maybe some lesser known things about the park. We'll be white water rafting down the Snake River, a tram tour in Jackson Hole to the higher elevations (10,000 ft elevation) of the Grand Tetons. I am soooo excited! You'll love it I'm sure.

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Heather, I'm not sure if it is within 12 hours or not or if your family would like this kind of thing but we had a really good time in Salem, MA. There are so many fun things to do there.
Many, many witch related museums, reinactments, a pirate musuem, historic building tours, very old cementary, trolly tours. The walking tour is very much like Boston's Freedom Trail. Lines are drawn on the sidewalks.

We stayed three days and on that trip also hit Newport, Rhode Island and toured the mansions for two days. You can't even imagine these places until you see them. Cliff Walk is a beautiful walk. One of the mansions has actors in character. It was alot of fun for us.

You could also throw Boston in, but I think you have already been there. I think the same time we were??????

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll have to forward you some pic when we get back. Most of our trip is educational since it is with the school, but this also assures I can see many things less touristy and more intriguing, maybe some lesser known things about the park. We'll be white water rafting down the Snake River, a tram tour in Jackson Hole to the higher elevations (10,000 ft elevation) of the Grand Tetons. I am soooo excited! You'll love it I'm sure.

I would love to see them! In everything I have read, most tourist only venture into a very small percentage of the park. Some of the most interested things are never seen. Having a guide who knows the park inside and out is a real advantage.

buzznwoodysmom
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
We are doing a few small trips close to home this summer. For the last 3 summers we've done WDW as one of our summer trips (then sometimes another summer trip to another place), so it'll be hard to have a summer with no WDW fun, but my family doesn't feel like doing lots of traveling this summer. WDW is a 12 hour drive for us and my hubby and kids don't want that long drive this summer. Plus we were just there in March!

Our plans are to visit San Antonio with a side trip to Galveston Beach on the way home, visit a water park that's only an hour away from home that my kids have never been to spending the weekend there, DH wants to do a camping trip, perhaps a weekend to one of the gulf coast beaches, and a weekend getaway to Lake Conroe Texas and the Woodlands Resort near Houston. We also just did a weekend in New Orleans and will probably make our way back there sometime between now and the fall. DH does triathlons so we are also looking for any races in locations we'd like to spend the weekend at. There is a race in Fort Walton Beach, Florida in August so we may do that as well. I think this is going to be an exciting summer for us. Instead of one or two big vacations we'll be able to do lots of smaller getaways without spending a ton of money. It'll be fun to just go whenever we feel like it instead of me feeling like we need to save that money for the big vacation, or feel guilty about spending when we just got back from a big vacation.

I hope everyone has a great summer!

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
We aren't going anywhere, we are taking our vacation in December.

Madame Leona
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
We need ideas!

We aren't doing Disney this summer, since we were just there in January, so we're trying to decide where to do.

DD really wants to see New York, but otherwise we're a bit stuck. (has to be 12 hours or less from Toronto - ideally!).

I look forward to hearing where everyone else is going.

Have you considered Michigan for a trip? There are a lot of fun things to do like Mackinac Island, Traverse City, anything on the Great Lakes, and Michigan Adventure. If you look lower in the state, there is the Ann Arbor Art Fair, the Detroit Zoo and loads of other fun things!!

caryrae
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
We have no plans as of yet. My wife's sister and her family are coming back for the summer after living in Egypt for over a year. My wife is so excited she really misses them, she was in the room with her sister and husband while she gave birth to 2 of the 3 kids and we hung out with then at least a couple times a week.

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Have you considered Michigan for a trip? There are a lot of fun things to do like Mackinac Island, Traverse City, anything on the Great Lakes, and Michigan Adventure. If you look lower in the state, there is the Ann Arbor Art Fair, the Detroit Zoo and loads of other fun things!!

In the last couple of months I have seen many commercials on Michigan tourism.

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Our plans are to visit San Antonio with a side trip to Galveston Beach on the way home, visit a water park that's only an hour away from home that my kids have never been to spending the weekend there, DH wants to do a camping trip, perhaps a weekend to one of the gulf coast beaches, and a weekend getaway to Lake Conroe Texas and the Woodlands Resort near Houston. We also just did a weekend in New Orleans and will probably make our way back there sometime between now and the fall. DH does triathlons so we are also looking for any races in locations we'd like to spend the weekend at. There is a race in Fort Walton Beach, Florida in August so we may do that as well. I think this is going to be an exciting summer for us. Instead of one or two big vacations we'll be able to do lots of smaller getaways without spending a ton of money. It'll be fun to just go whenever we feel like it instead of me feeling like we need to save that money for the big vacation, or feel guilty about spending when we just got back from a big vacation.

I hope everyone has a great summer!

Denise you are going to be busy this summer!

ryca1dreams
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm going to Home Depot this summer so I can finish fixing my house.

Assuming I can get that done, we may go to the Grand Canyon.

buzznwoodysmom
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Denise you are going to be busy this summer!

Yes, we will be busy this summer, but these are all places fairly close to home that we've been wanting to visit with the kids, but have always put these "smaller" trips on the back burner for bigger vacations like WDW. This year we'll be able to do all these little getaways for less than we'd spend on one big WDW trip. None of these trips will be more than 2-4 days long, so while it might seem like a lot its basically just weekends here and there.

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM

We were there a couple of years ago. I loved it. It was really amazing. We stayed at the El Tovar and it was very nice.

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
We're moving! From California to Virginia. It's a big one, so we probably won't take a trip anywhere else. However, since we'll be new to the area, I'm sure we'll spend some time exploring D.C. and might take a weekend drive up to NYC or Philadelphia.

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Natalie, that's a big change. Have you always lived on the west coast?

DC is one of my favorite cities to visit. You can go there for a week and still not have scratched the surface of what they have to offer tourists. Plus, if you are close to DC then you have Baltimore right around the corner too.

Philly has a boat load of historic stuff to see and is a really fun city too.

I'm not much of a NY fan. I really can't say for sure why, it may be just because it is too crowded for me. I know that they have so much to do there but it's not a place I can't wait to get back to.:(

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Rita, I actually used to be a "NJ Girl" too. :D I grew up in Old Bridge. I moved to CA when I was 14. I've been here (in the state) since then...18 years now!

I'm familiar with Philly, Baltimore, and NYC. We'd go to those places mostly because it will be new to our kids. My husband has never been to Philly. I used to love the Franklin Institute when I was a kid, and I think my boys would enjoy it!

We are also talking about visiting Hershey. My chocaholic son would be in heaven. :cloud9:

magicofdisney
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
My husband's family is having a reunion in CO. We're in FL so the kids and I will be flying out and meeting up with my husband from his current work site. We also plan to do some site seeing of either Mt. Rushmore or Grand Canyon. We'll be about equidistance from either site.

NJGIRL
04-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Rita, I actually used to be a "NJ Girl" too. :D I grew up in Old Bridge. I moved to CA when I was 14. I've been here (in the state) since then...18 years now!

I'm familiar with Philly, Baltimore, and NYC. We'd go to those places mostly because it will be new to our kids. My husband has never been to Philly. I used to love the Franklin Institute when I was a kid, and I think my boys would enjoy it!

We are also talking about visiting Hershey. My chocaholic son would be in heaven. :cloud9:

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :thumbsup: lol. The Franklin Institute is even better now than when we where kids. We take my son every year. The Art Museum (believe it or not) has alot of really cool things too. If you are in Philly make sure to check out the Mutter Museum also. It's something you don't see everyday! The Lights of Liberty Tour is a must do!

Hershey Park :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:Enough said! :D

NJGIRL
04-30-2011, 09:40 AM
My husband's family is having a reunion in CO. We're in FL so the kids and I will be flying out and meeting up with my husband from his current work site. We also plan to do some site seeing of either Mt. Rushmore or Grand Canyon. We'll be about equidistance from either site.

The Grand Canyon was great. It was so wonderful to look at the amazing views. I loved our time there and encourage everyone to make the trip and stay a few days at the rim if possible.

Mt. Rushmore has been on my vacation list since I saw North by Northwest so many years ago. I have twice started to plan a trip there but for various reasons canceled and went somewhere else.:(
We vacation all over the place and I don't mind a challenging trip, but I have had to give up twice. I am still hopeful that one day I will make it there.

Genna, have a great trip and make sure to do a trip report when you get back.

MNNHFLTX
05-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Love the Grand Canyon--I'd go back there in a heartbeat!!

We are going to DC and Gettysburg, in just 3 weeks to be exact. Otherwise we'll be staying close to home for the rest of the summer. I do have a trip pending to WDW next October and I hope that my husband and I can do a short trip to either Sedona or New Mexico in November or December.

NJGIRL
05-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Love the Grand Canyon--I'd go back there in a heartbeat!!

We are going to DC and Gettysburg, in just 3 weeks to be exact. Otherwise we'll be staying close to home for the rest of the summer. I do have a trip pending to WDW next October and I hope that my husband and I can do a short trip to either Sedona or New Mexico in November or December.

Beth have a great time! It seems like alot of the mods are going to DC. Is there something I should know??? :D

magicalmom
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Love Michigan!!! - check out Midland in the middle of the state - great arts performances including the Matrix:Midland festival, fascinating museum with world-class traveling exhibits, architecture tours, gorgeous Dow Gardens. Minor league baseball - the Loons at the Dow Diamond.

Look into also Sleeping Bear Dunes park in northwest part of the state, and Silver Dunes in the Grand Rapids/Muskegon area. Also, check dates for tall ships in Bay City - I don't know if this is every year?

Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn are also a great day or two. Saginaw Zoo is quite nice. Ann Arbor has a good natural history museum and art museum, along with great restaurants.

Sault Saint Marie (Soo Locks) in the Upper Peninsula is a fascinating place.

Cranbrook Science Center near Bloomfield Hills has a natural History Museum with Planetarium.

Detroit Science Center and Detroit Institute of the Arts are within a block of each other. Also - Tiger baseball!

Tomorrow's music, art, drama, and dance stars at Interlochen, near Traverse City. Traverse City also boasts the Cherry County Playhouse.

Battle Creek - tour the Kelloggs cereal plant. River Rouge - tour the Ford plant. Visit Kalamazoo, just because the name is cool.

Huckleberry Railroad and Crossroads Village near Flint (middle of the state.)

Frankenmuth - a little bit of Bavaria, the largest Christmas store anywhere, and the best chicken dinners on the planet.

I moved away from Michigan with my husband years ago - can you tell I'm a little homesick?

MNNHFLTX
05-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Beth have a great time! It seems like alot of the mods are going to DC. Is there something I should know??? :DIf I told you--well, you know the saying. ;)

Just a coincidence, I guess. I know we have wanted to go there for a long time.

CynBeth
05-08-2011, 10:31 AM
We are going to Boston and Cape Cod in July. We will be at Disney during Thanksgiving Week.

NJGIRL
05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
We are going to Boston and Cape Cod in July. We will be at Disney during Thanksgiving Week.

We went to Boston for the first time in Sept about two years ago. We had a great time. It's such a nice "walking" city. Have fun!

Georgesgirl1
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
We aren't going anywhere fancy. We are doing a long weekend in Chattanooga to see my grandparents. While we are there we will go to the aquarium and Rock City.

My mom, aunt, grandmother, my girl cousins, and I are planning a girlie trip to Hilton Head Island in September. We have rented a house on the beach for a long weekend. I am really hoping that I will be able to go. YDS still won't take a bottle very well, so I won't leave him with DH for the weekend if that is still the case. Hopefully it will all work out b/c HHI is my 2nd favorite vacation spot (after WDW of course!)

NJGIRL
05-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Hope it works out for you Kristin. Sept is a couple of months away so things with your daughter may change by then.

We did an all girls trip last Nov to WDW. It was me, my mother, two sisters, and the only other girl in the family (we all have boys-5 altogether) my niece. We had a blast. She was only 5 at the time and we did all of the girlie stuff none of us got to experience before beacuse of the boys!

luvdiznee
06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Nothing in the summer for us, but we are going to Disney in September. :mickey:

And since no Disney next year, we will be doing Grand Canyon and Vegas next spring. Already got my reservation at El Tovar!:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
06-05-2011, 08:44 AM
we will be doing Grand Canyon and Vegas next spring. Already got my reservation at El Tovar!:thumbsup:

You are going to love the El Tovar. It's great! Which hotel are you staying at in Vegas?

Melanie
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
We are doing a local move this summer, so I didn't think we'd be able to really do a vacation this summer, but we've got some fun things planned despite our displacement issues. :D

I just found out yesterday that my DH has to be at Eglin Air Force Base for a week in mid July, so FL panhandle - here I come! :vacation: Add to that, my boys will be in Texas with their grandparents, so it's a DH and I only trip..even though he has to work. ;)

First of August, we plan on going to TX to pick up the boys and will spend a few weeks there going to some different minor league baseball games. That is the current thing in our household.

Gosh, when am I going to find time to head over to WDW this summer? :blush:

luvdiznee
06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
You are going to love the El Tovar. It's great! Which hotel are you staying at in Vegas?

I'm excited about staying at El Tovar. Couldn't believe how far in advance you have to book. We first had it for March, because that is the week for the kids spring break But I thought it would be too cold, so I moved it to May. But also since I want to experience "Vegas Uncorked". :marg:

As far as where we are staying, I like to say that I am working my way up the strip, plus I choose hotels based on theme. So NYNY is my choice, but if I get a good deal for Paris or Venetian, I'm in. :secret:

RAIDER
06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Were going to Vegas at the end of this month for a week staying at Caesars we have tickets to see Viva Elvis ,Celine Dion and Cirque de Soliels O and we will be in Florida for 2 weeks in Dec staying at the BLT

Am so looking forward to Florida this year after last years awful Dec in Florida and the UK :thumbsup:

JoF
06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I am staying at my parents house for two weeks in August looking after their dog while they are in Spain - so not fair!
But will be in WDW in October :cloud9:

NJGIRL
06-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I am staying at my parents house for two weeks in August looking after their dog while they are in Spain - so not fair!

Agreed! :D

luvdiznee
06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
But will be in WDW in October :cloud9:

OMG, I so want to go to Spain one day. I'd probably have to look into ABD. :marg:

ryca1dreams
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
We aren't going anywhere fancy. We are doing a long weekend in Chattanooga to see my grandparents. While we are there we will go to the aquarium and Rock City.

Hey, my hometown! We may actually end up going there in a few weeks. So much has changed since I left in the late 80s. I always like visiting.

dream6
06-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I had a pretty busy spring traveling to London, Paris, and Yellowstone so I think this summer is probably going to be pretty laid back. Mostly weekend trips to Cape Cod, NYC, and Boston. :)

DisneyDog
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Natalie, when I was in college at the University of Delaware, I dated a guy from Old Bridge! Although, he would be about 10 years older than you, I'm guessing, by the numbers you threw out. LOL.

We took a long weekend trip to Lancaster, PA over Memorial Day weekend. It was so much fun and peaceful there. We are spending the summer doing home improvement stuff. But, toying with the possibility of a trip to Universal around Labor Day to surprise our son. It will be his 9th birthday on September 3rd. So, we shall see how things pan out. My inlaws live in Rehoboth Beach, DE. so I would imagine we'll end up down there at some point, but no plans for it at the moment.

Kairi_7378
06-26-2011, 07:45 AM
We're doing a lot of small weekend trips this summer. We added our Disney Trip on a whim a few weeks ago. Some of our plans include:

-Hershey Park (my "cousin" trip that I am in charge of planning each summer.)
-Sesame Place
-Baltimore Aquarium (to visit the in laws)
-DC (just did a day trip yesterday!)
-A weekend on the bay in Stone Harbor, NJ
-Possible trip to the Philadelphia Zoo to visit the new babies.

I'm also going to Atlanta for a few days for a conference and I am going to try to sneak in a visit to the Aquarium!

NJGIRL
06-26-2011, 08:24 AM
We're doing a lot of small weekend trips this summer. We added our Disney Trip on a whim a few weeks ago. Some of our plans include:

-Sesame Place

I'm also going to Atlanta for a few days for a conference and I am going to try to sneak in a visit to the Aquarium!

Sounds like you have a great summer planned. We did alot of small trips and day trips last summer and had a blast. Have fun!

luvdiznee
06-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Yep, more road trips, less Disney for us (after September):thumbsup:

Kenny1113
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
We just got back from OH. We leave for the mountains in NC this week! Can't wait for tge nice weather. We loved the weather in OH, it is too hot here! DH may take the kids to CO mid/late July. Then just some local day/weekend trips until school starts back. These would be in FL(takes too long to leave the state by car), no WDW though.

Planning a US/IoA/LL trip for nov! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
06-26-2011, 05:21 PM

-Sesame Place

I'm also going to Atlanta for a few days for a conference and I am going to try to sneak in a visit to the Aquarium!Laura, you live near some really cool places! I wish we had some of them close by where I live!